42-year-old former WBO heavyweight champion Shannon Briggs (56-6-1, 49 KOs) obliterated a badly over-matched Cory Phelps (16-7-1, 8 KOs) by a 1st round knockout last Saturday night in Winston-Salem North Carolina. Briggs, 6’4”, knocked Phelps down three times in the round. Continue reading
In an effort to avoid any problems with his gloves getting approved by WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (46-0, 26 KOs) in their rematch on September 13th, Maidana plans on wearing the same gloves – Everlast Powerlock – that he used in his first fight against Mayweather last May when Maidana lost a 12 round majority decision at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Maidana has been using the Powerlock gloves and has gotten used to wearing them. Whether Mayweather will say yes to Maidana wearing them a second time is unclear, but there shouldn’t be any reason why Mayweather won’t accept them a second time if they’re truly the same gloves as before. Continue reading
Trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr says his son Floyd Jr’s mind is in a better place for the second fight with Marcos Maidana (35-4, 31 Kos) than it was the first time they fought last May at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Mayweather Jr had hand problems going into that fight, and he and his fiancé Shantel Jackson had just recently broken up at the time. It was a lot of things happening at around the same time that Mayweather fought Maidana that could have negatively impacted his performance in the ring in that fight. Continue reading
WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (46-0, 26 KOs) has some tricks that he plans on unveiling on Marcos Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs) in their rematch next month, says Mayweather’s training assistant Nate Jones. He’s not saying what those tricks are, but he believes that Maidana won’t be expecting them.
Unless is good at adapting, which he probably isn’t, he’s going to have some problems when he gets in the ring against Mayweather on September 13th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Continue reading
WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck (37-2-1, 26 KOs) will be taking what should be a very easily voluntary title defense this Saturday, August 30th against fringe contender #12 WBO Mirko Larghett (21-0, 13 KOs) at the Gerry Weber Stadium, Halle, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.
This will be the 29-year-old Huck’s 13th title defense of his WBO strap that he won back in 2009 with a 12 round decision over Victor Ramirez. Continue reading
It looks like boxing fans won’t get to see a fight between IBF light welterweight champion Lamont Peterson and WBA/WBC 140 pound champion Danny Garcia for later this year, because the World Boxing Council has ordered a purse bid for the fight between Garcia and his mandatory challenger #1 WBC Viktor Postol (26-0, 11 KOs) for September 12th.
Garcia and Peterson could still face each other instead by getting permission by the WBC for a unification match, but it’s unclear how much interest there is in such a match-up. There was talk that if the fight did happen between them, it would be another catch-weight fight like Garcia’s recent bout against Rod Salka and Peterson’s fight last year against Lucas Matthysse. Continue reading
Former world title challenger Mike Jones (26-2, 19 KOs) got off to a good start last Saturday night against little known Jaime Herrera (12-2, 7 KOs) in knocking him down twice in the early rounds, but then Jones ran out of gas completely and ended up being stopped in the 7th round at Bally’s in Atlantic City. Continue reading
Alfredo Angulo (22-4, 18 KOs) partially explains away his last two defeats to Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Erislandy Lara by him fighting in the wrong weight class. Angulo, 32, has now moved up to middleweight and he hopes that he’ll be able to restart his career with a victory in his next fight against James De La Rosa (22-2, 13 KOs) on the Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Marcos Maidana 2 fight card on September 13th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Golden Boy Promotions isn’t doing Angulo any favors by matching him against De La Rosa, because this guy is a tough opponent for a fighter coming off the kind of beat down Angulo suffered in his last fight against Canelo. Continue reading
Hot Filipino prospect Randy Petalcorin (21-1-1, 16 KOs) heads into the first world title bout of his career this Tuesday night, when he takes on Panamanian Walter Tello (20-7, 8 KOs) for the interim WBA light flyweight title in Shanghai, China.
Flash back to mid-April 2013, when Kell Brook was cruelly forced to withdraw from his IBF World Welterweight title clash with then ruler Devon Alexander in Atlantic City with a stress fracture to the foot, you couldn’t help but think that sadly that might have been it for the unbeaten Sheffield stylist. At that stage 29-0, Brook was forced to watch on from home as Golden Boy looked elsewhere, with no room for further postponements, with the fight being rescheduled twice already due to injuries on both sides. The game but ultimately outclassed Lee Purdy stepped in to fill the void, while Brook found himself seemingly at the back of the queue in what is widely understood as boxing’s hottest division.
Only Brook and those close to him will know just how dark it got over those next couple of months, as everything he had worked so hard to achieve began to crumble around him. Not long after in a candid interview with former stable mate Johnny Nelson, Brook confided that at one stage he consider his future in the game. Thankfully, this never materialised, due to a mixture of family, friend and promotional support, but most of all due to a personal fortitude that would serve him so well in the future. Continue reading