There seems to be a consistent struggle for big-hitting WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin to find a suitable opponent, with him being linked to a number of names from Andre Ward and (previously) Carl Froch at 168, through now to newly crowned IBF middleweight champion David Lemieux, in what would be a true battle of the bangers should it take place.
After his exciting victory over Hassan N’Dam in Canada last month, Lemieux’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya had said his fighter would be looking to face his (unnamed) mandatory challenger next, although the Golden Boy has this week said to ESPN that provisional talks between the respective camps for a unification bout are now underway.
“We’re exploring options for David Lemieux and discussing things with Tom Loeffler (Golovkin’s promoter from K2 Promotions)” Continue reading
Last month WBA (sup) 168 lb champion Andre Ward shook off 19 months of inactivity and announced his return to the game, putting a beatdown upon Britain’s Paul Smith, halting his bloodied opponent inside 9 one sided rounds, almost as if he had never been away.
Following that bout, which was for all intents and purposes a tune-up, Ward has stated his intention to get right back in the mix with a serious contender, either at 168 lbs, or at 175 lbs, with a mooted bout with Russian 175 lb knockout artist Sergey Kovalev being talked about for next year.
The other credible option for Ward is of course, big-hitting middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, who has been struggling for opponents and has gone on record to state that he would like to fight Ward next. Continue reading
Fight day is getting closer. In just over three weeks Marco Huck (38-2-1, 26 KOs) will step into the ring for the 42nd time during his professional career. August 14 will see the reigning WBOSuperChampion take on mandatory challenger Krzysztof Glowacki (24-0, 15 KOs). As the big day at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey is just around the corner the 30 year old German has been training intensely for the past 4 weeks. But Huck took some time out of his busy schedule to give his thoughts on his US debut, new coach Don House and a record breaking 14th defense of the Cruiserweight title. Continue reading
Tonight in London, Enfield’s “Wise Guy” Frank Buglioni should have been fighting for the WBA (reg) 168 lb title against newly crowned Russian champion Fedor Chudinov, however a broken nose in sparring has postponed the fight and he must instead face late replacement Mexican opponent Fernando Castaneda (23-9) instead.
The Mexican fighter has lost 3 of his last 5 and boxed up at cruiserweight for his last bout (a win) coming in at yesterday’s weigh-in 7 lbs over the super middleweight limit. Continue reading
Unbeaten pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. made it three in a row when he was chosen as the Nevada Fighter of the Year once again by the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame. Mayweather also won the award in 2013 and 2014. The annual Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame induction gala will be held Saturday, August 8, at Caesars Palace. This year’s event will have special meaning to Mayweather, whose uncle, Roger, is being inducted into the Hall for his brilliant boxing career.
A number of the greatest stars in boxing history will attend the popular induction ceremony on Aug. 8 at Caesars Palace. Among the big names who have confirmed they will be in attendance are Lennox Lewis, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Felix Trinidad, Marco Antonio Barrera, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad and Roger Mayweather. Continue reading
If Matchroom Boxing boss Eddie Hearn has anything to do with it, his new signing Martin Murray will get a title shot at WBO super middleweight champion Arthur Abraham before the year is out.
Abraham boxed in his 21st world title fight last weekend, winning his 4th encounter with Robert Stieglitz in Germany by 6th round stoppage to win their series 3:1, yet the now 35 year old war horse suffered a fractured jaw in the process.
Conversely, Britain’s Murray boxed in Manchester in his 2nd fight in three weeks since moving up to 168 lbs, stopping the visibly larger Mirzet Bajrektaravic inside five rounds to seal off his “easing into” the super middleweight division. Continue reading
Britain’s former Olympian Billy Joe Saunders fights Andy Lee on September 19th for the WBO middleweight championship in Limerick, Ireland, in an historic fight that will see the first time two men of traveller origins have contested a version of a world title.
The ever honest Saunders is confident of dethroning his Irish rival in style and being crowned the new champion, yet in the event that happens, don’t expect him to sign for a unification with murderous punching Kazakh Gennady Golovkin – arguably the most avoided fighter in boxing today depending on who you believe. Continue reading
With his purported upcoming fight against an undefeated ring legend who made more money per minute (6 million plus) in his last fight than most aspiring pugilists could ever hope to make for their entire career, 31 year old Andre Berto (30-3 23 KO) comes into his bout with 38 year old all time great Floyd “Money” Mayweather (48-0 26 KO) as perhaps the greatest underdog in the history of the sport.
And that’s definitely to take nothing away from Berto’s career accomplishments. Berto is a 3 time World Champion in the 147 Pound division, he has held the coveted WBC Welterweight title and defended it five times, against four former world champions in a span from 2008-2011 in which he was seen as a can’t miss future superstar of the division. Then along came another Mayweather opponent named Victor Ortiz who simply would not be denied his moment in the sun and shocked the world in early 2011 with a major upset of Berto for his world title. Continue reading
He is more comfortable behind the comms mic these days, and hasn’t been in a boxing ring since the four round beatdown in April last year at the hands of Shawn Porter, but Brooklyn’s Paulie Malignaggi returns on August 1st in a 12 round non-title bout against Danny Garcia on a PBC on ESPN card, and has said via fighthubtv that he has the bit back between his teeth again.
Malignaggi was due to box on the Khan/Algieri undercard back in May against the unheralded Danny O’Connor but withdrew through injury and now takes on the far tougher task of Garcia – who himself has been criticised for recent performances against Lamont Peterson and Mauricio Herrera – and is debuting at 147 lbs. Continue reading
Two of Philadelphia’s top fighters held a media workout Tuesday as Danny “Swift” Garcia (30-0, 17 KOs)and Steve “U.S.S.” Cunningham (28-7, 13 KOs) prepared for their respective Premier Boxing Champions headlining events in August.
Garcia, who was joined by his father and trainer Angel, will be looking for his record fifth main event victory at Barclays Center on Saturday, August 1 when he takes on former world champion, Paulie “The Magic Man” Malignaggi (33-6, 7 KOs) in a 12-round welterweight battle on Premier Boxing Champions on ESPN at 9:00 p.m. ET/6 :00 p.m. PT. Continue reading