Amir Khan would like to address the recent comments given by Manny Pacquiao as to why a fight between them never transpired.
Importantly, Amir would like to make clear that he holds Manny as a fighter in the highest regard but his comments about “middle men” preventing the fight from happening are wholly inaccurate and false.
Amir Khan said: “I have read recent comments by Manny Pacquiao stating that the reason a fight between us never happened was because of ‘middle men’ in my team – this is totally inaccurate and false.
“The only people negotiating on my behalf, as with all my fights, were my father Shah, uncle Taz and lawyer Robert Davis. They dealt directly with Manny Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum and adviser Michael Koncz.
“An initial meeting took place last September between Bob Arum and my uncle and lawyer in London. This was at the direct request of Bob Arum. The negotiations went well to the extent that a ‘Heads of Terms’ was signed and sent from my lawyer to Bob Arum.
“My team was told by Bob Arum that it was a choice between either Terence Crawford or myself and dates in April were being explored with the fight to take place in Las Vegas or Qatar.
“Since September of last year my team had been in direct contact with Pacquiao’s team, spoke with them and met them face-to-face, so to state that middle men prevented the fight from happening is not true at all.
“Rather, having seen comments from Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach saying that HBO were not interested in the fight – yet are seemingly happy to broadcast a third fight between Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley – makes clear the contradictions and the fact his team knew a fight between us would be a very dangerous one for him and best avoided.
“Freddie, who has trained us both, knows how our sparring sessions used to go and with me having filled out more now as a welterweight, getting bigger and stronger, makes a fight with Bradley – who Pacquiao in most opinions has beaten twice – a much easier option.
“I want to make the best fights for the fans and it was neither my team nor a lack of desire from my end which prevented a fight with Pacquiao from happening – that rests squarely on Team Pacquiao.”
Manny Pacquiao: ‘Fight With Khan Was Close’
Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley officially announced their rubber match taking place on April 9 in Las Vegas, Nevada and televised live on HBO pay-per-view. Check out the scene as Pacquiao and Bradley exchange words and a laugh during their face off.
“I feel sad telling the people this is my last fight…it feels odd when you say this is my last fight…I’ve been in boxing more than 20 years…I think that’s enough for me,” stated 8-division world champion Manny Pacquiao, who spoke more about his decision to retire after his upcoming rubber match with Timothy Bradley.
“I don’t change my strategy…improve more…I want to win convincingly…my shoulder is healed already 100%…I’m good…I’m okay,” stated 8-division former world champion Manny Pacquiao, who spoke more about his upcoming rubber match with Timothy Bradley.
“I still have that motivation and I feel that…I still feel that hungerness and motivation…I’m still motivated…I need to decide to focus on other ventures…my family, they want me to retire so it’s good,” stated 8-division world champion Manny Pacquiao, who talked about his upcoming third showdown with world champion Timothy Bradley.
“That’s another story…that’s a question that I cannot answer…we don’t know what is tomorrow,” stated 8-division world champion Manny Pacquiao, who didn’t necessarily rule out a potential rematch with Floyd Mayweather if the fight presented itself.