The Latest Boxing News
California’s WBA (super) 168 lb champion Andre Ward, who comprehensively outclassed Carl Froch in December 2011 as part of ‘The Super Six’ final, has spoken out to wish his old foe all the best in his retirement, telling Sky Sports that “The Cobra” has left the game at the right time.
The classy American, who demolished Britain’s Paul Smith last month, had some respectful words for his old rival – wishing him all the best for the future;
“You have to respect the way he went about it, and the fact he not only stepped up but beat just about all the guys he fought at the top level” said Ward. Continue reading
There is still hope for Amir Khan landing the fight he’s been chasing for the better part of 2 1/2 years against Floyd Mayweather – at least in his own mind.
In the wake of the news that Florida’s Andre Berto looks to be the man gloving up to face Mayweather in September, Khan has spoken out yet again to insist it’s not over until the fat lady sings, and until Berto is “officially” announced as Floyd’s opponent, he refuses to give up hope of getting that career-high payday.
Once again insisting the boxing world wants him to face Floyd, Khan said to Sky Sports in his classic, self indulgent, 3rd person style; Continue reading
Spain’s former IBF super bantamweight champion Kiko Martinez fights WBA (reg) 122 lb champion Scott Quigg in Manchester on Saturday night, headlining Matchroom’s ‘High Stakes’ card, and ‘La Sensacion’ is feeling in a confident mood, telling Sky Sports that not only does he have the beating of Quigg, he believes Northern Ireland’s Carl Frampton has his number too.
Quigg and Frampton are on an eventual collision course, with negotiations between them having broken down recently, and Martinez, who lost to Frampton twice, thinks that’s probably a good thing for Quigg, who he cannot see beating the Irishman. Continue reading
When Floyd Mayweather said recently that he was considering Karim Mayfield and Andre Berto as potential opponents for September, many people didn’t take him too seriously.
“Surely not?” was the natural response, yet it’s now starting to look like increasingly likely that the Florida man will indeed be getting the call, with a strong rumour emerging that the fight will take place on September 15, a Tuesday, on CBS, as part of Floyd’s “final” fight of his contract with Showtime, who are part of the CBS corporation.
If this is indeed true, then someone should direct Amir Khan to the nearest tall building as he’ll surely wish to throw himself off of it, having already tweeted his support regardless. Continue reading
LOS ANGELES (July 14, 2015) – Mexican boxing stars Leo “El Terremoto” Santa Cruz (30-0-1, 17 KOs) and Abner Mares (29-1-1, 15 KOs) met today at Plaza Mexico to officially announced their Saturday, August 29 Premier Boxing Champions on ESPN showdown taking place at STAPLES Center.
The fighters hosted an open-to-the-public press conference and fan rally to discuss their upcoming bout with media members and met with fans to sign autographs and take pictures.
Hundreds of fans attended the event at Plaza Mexico in Linwood and the fighters stayed to sign autographs for over two hours afterwards. Continue reading
“I’m very proud to bring this fight Limerick” were the words of WBO 160 lb champion Andy Lee earlier today, when his September 19th fight with unbeaten mandatory challenger Billy Joe Saunders was officially announced via a press conference at Thomond Park, Ireland.
Lee, who won his title against dangerous Russian puncher Matty Korobov last December, spoke to iFLtv to talk about the history making bout, which will be the first time that two men of traveller origins have contested a version of a world title – and in his eyes, there will be only one winner.
Sadly for the fighters involved, and Queensbury promotions – who look after Saunders – today’s presser was slightly overshadowed by (Matchroom Sport promoted) Carl Froch’s retirement announcement, which someone more cynical than myself, might have considered a deliberate move? Continue reading
This Saturday sees the return of “The Nightmare” Chris Arreola, fighting in a 10 round contest against relative unknown Fred Kassi in El Paso, Texas on the undercard of Carl Frampton’s IBF 122 lb title defence against Mexico’s Alejandro Gonzalez Jr.
The now 34 year old Mexican-American heavyweight is at something of a dead-end in terms of his career, following the peak five or six years ago, that saw him fail in a challenge to then-WBC champion Vitali Klitschko in September 2009.
His most recent world title challenge 14 months ago, a rematch with ex-champ Bermane Stiverne, also ended in failure, with Arreola now seemingly reduced to gate-keeper status in boxing’s marquee division. Continue reading
This Saturday night on Matchroom Sports “High Stakes” card from Manchester, WBA (reg) champion Scott Quigg will enter the toughest fight of his professional career when he fights former IBF super bantamweight champion Kiko Martinez.
Assuming he comes through that fight, his trainer Joe Gallagher has spoken to Sky Sports to suggest that a clash with Belfast’s Carl Frampton is still a long way off after negotiations broke down recently, and that a fight with 4 weight world champion Nonito Donaire is the more realistic option for his fighter.
“If he gets past Martinez, it’ll be Nonito Donaire. It won’t be Carl Frampton. The problem with that is Barry McGuigan.” said Gallagher. Continue reading
There shouldn’t be too much longer to wait now for Floyd Mayweather’s announcement regarding his opponent for September 12th and the 49th and supposed “final” fight of his career.
A number of fighters at 147 lb are in the frame, with the charge being arguably led by Britain’s Amir Khan, who will surely jump off a bridge if he ISN’T the man in the opposite corner to Floyd in a couple of month’s time!
The Brit is far and away the most vocal of potential opponents, and has been so for the better part of 2 1/2 years, yet it would be potentially foolish to rule out anybody at 147, including “Showtime” Shawn Porter, who enjoyed a satisfying victory over Ohioan rival and Floyd’s “little bro”, Adrien Broner last month. Continue reading
Nottingham’s former WBA, WBC and IBF super-middleweight champion Carl “The Cobra” Froch has finally announced that the curtain has come down on his illustrious 13 year professional career, ending ALL speculation as to whether he would return to the ring to face murderous-punching Kazakh Gennady Golovkin.
Froch, tweeted the following before speaking to Sky Sports, with whom he will join in a punditry capacity;
“I’m officially retired from boxing. So much to say & so many people to thank. But for now, I just want to say THANK YOU to my amazing fans.” Continue reading