Boxing news, views and results



Sergio Martinez

Murray: A win over Sergio Martinez will secure my legacy

martinez3MARTIN MURRAY says he’s going to keep his feet on the ground even if he defeats Sergio Martinez in Argentina this spring.

The St Helens man faces the world’s best middleweight for his World Boxing Council (WBC) crown at the home stadium of Velez Sarsfield on April 27.

Martinez is widely regarded as one of the top three pound for pound fighters on the planet, so a victory for Murray would likely catapult him to superstar status.

However, he has no real interest in glitz and glamor and just wants to secure the financial future of his family. Continue reading

Martin Murray: “ARGENTINA Trip Doesn’t Daunt Me”

MARTIN MURRAY insists he holds no fear of going into the lion’s den against Sergio Martinez this spring.

The unbeaten St Helens man will face the planet’s best middleweight in front of almost 50,000 fans at the Estadio José Amalfitani in Buenos Aires, Argentina on April 27.

And he knows few will be cheering him on. Continue reading

Sergio Martinez – Martin Murray: The Talking Begins

murray222By Padraig Ivory: Sergio Martinez and Martin Murray came face to face this week ahead of their April 2013 fight. The St Helens fighter made the long trip to the homeland of the middleweight champion to commence the promotional campaign and to introduce himself to the Argentinean fight fans. Martin made television appearances and press calls as the wheels of the promotional bandwagon were set in motion.

The respectful ‘Maravilla’ had returned and he praised his English challenger. Last time out the Oxnard resident had displayed an uncharacteristic hatred and genuine dislike for his opponent as he promised to inflict serious injury on Chavez Jr.”

“He’s young and strong. It’s great that he should want to give his all…” Martinez said of Murray. However the 37 year old promised to be at his best for his homecoming celebration stating that the fight “won’t go past the eighth round”.

Martin’s assessment of the fight differed from that of the current WBC champion. “He began at the bottom and today he’s the most powerful in the division. But I’m better and can beat him”. Murray’s confidence stems from his unbeaten 26 fight professional campaign and in particular the performance he put in against former champion WBA Felix Sturm. Continue reading

Sergio Martinez says Martin Murray won’t make it past 8

martinez123By Steve Mabbott: WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (50-2-2, 28 KO’s) doesn’t see his opponent unbeaten British middleweight Martin Murray (25-0-1, 11 KO’s) going the distance with him when they face off on April 27th at the Club Atletico Velez Sarsfield, Distrito Federal, Argentina.

Martinez said as quoted by the Sportsmole.co.uk “It’s great that he should want to give his all and I was the same but the fight won’t go past the eighth round.”

Murray has good power and a lot of heart, but he’s not special. He was staggered by Felix Sturm in their fight last year, and he’s mighty lucky that Sturm didn’t have more time to work on him in the 12th because he probably would have knocked him out. Most of the opponents that the 30-year-old Murray has faced in his career have been nothing special. The difference in experience against quality opposition between the two fighters is monstrous. Continue reading

President of Argentina Annouces Sergio Martinez vs Martin Murray

It was officially announced last week that WBC Middleweight Champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (50-2-2, 28KO’s), who will be presented with his new belt this week at the WBC Convention in Cancun, will defend his title next against England’s undefeated interim WBA Middleweight Champion Martin Murray (25-0-1, 11KO’s) in Martinez’ home country of Argentina. In a historic move, the event was announced by the President of Argentina, Cristina Kirchner and will be held on April 27. The bout will be broadcast on HBO’s “World Championship Boxing”. Continue reading

Murray vs. Martinez on April 27th

Things night might not have gone to plan for Ricky Hatton on his ring return nine days ago, but the Hatton Promotions CEO was boosted by world class performances from Martin Murray and Scott Quigg.

Bury’s unbeaten Quigg captured the vacant World Boxing Association (WBA) interim super-bantamweight crown and looked sensational stopping Rendall Munroe in six rounds. Continue reading

Sergio Martinez to face Martin Murray on 4/27 in Argentina

By Andy Brooks: WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (50-2-2, 28 KO’s) will be slipping in what amounts to being a stay busy fight against #3 WBC Martin Murray (25-0-1, 11 KO’s) in Argentina on April 27th. Martinez, who is coming off of knee surgery, can’t fight an immediate rematch with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. during that early part of the year because the chances are high that Chavez Jr. will be under suspension for his marijuana violation.

A rematch with Chavez Jr. will be taking place on September 14th, according to RingTV. So instead of that fight, Martinez will stay busy with the Murray bout. The fight will likely be good enough to satisfy HBO given Murray’s unbeaten record, and his good performance in his fight with former WBA Super World middleweight champion Felix Sturm last year.

However, it’s not a fight that will interest boxing fans because few of them have heard of Murray in the U.S other than hardcore fans. British boxing fans will likely the idea of Murray facing Martinez, but those are likely the only ones. If Martinez isn’t fighting Chavez Jr, fans want to see Martinez fight Gennady Golovkin, Peter Quillin or Daniel Geale. Those are interesting fights for Martinez, and you can’t blame fans for preferring to see Martinez against one of them rather than the little known fighter Murray. Continue reading

Sergio Martinez’s leg surgery a success; Granados-Canas on 12/14

Madrid, Spain / New York, NY (11/13/12) – Yesterday afternoon, reigning middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez underwent surgery to repair his right knee and ankle, both which were injured in his last fight against then World Boxing Council (WBC) Middleweight Champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Martinez had the operation done in Spain, where he has been living since relocating from his native Argentina earlier in his career. The operation was done by highly regarded doctor Villamor Perez, the personal physician for the King of Spain, Juan Carlos I.

“I am very, very happy with how the operation went,” said Martinez. “I will be rehabbing for two or so weeks and then I will be back in the gym, and begin preparations for my next title defense, which will take place next year in my native Argentina. This will be my first fight there in many years and I am really looking forward to defending my title in front of all of my great fans in Argentina.”

“We are very pleased that Sergio’s surgery today was successful with no complications. He’ll be back on his feet in a few weeks and able to train shortly thereafter,” said promoter Lou DiBella. “He’ll have no problem getting ready for an April fight and we hope to help him realize his dream of defending the WBC Middleweight Championship in his homeland of Argentina.” Continue reading

Sergio Martinez named WBC Fighter of the Month for September for win over Chavez Jr

By Marcus Richardson: Sergio Martinez’s win over WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. last month on September 15th has earned the 37-year-old Martinez WBC’s Fighter of the Month for September. Saul Alvarez was given Honorable mention for his win over Josesito Lopez on the same date.

Martinez’s win was extra special though as he wasn’t fighting someone a division or two below him like Alvarez was with Lopez. Martinez was actually out-sized by the 180+ pound Chavez Jr. in this fight and yet was still able to dominate him with ease for 11 rounds before having to hang on in the 12th to preserve the win after getting careless and knocked down by the young 26-year-old Chavez Jr.

Martinez never flinched as he got back to his feet and kept firing away with his own power shots until the bell rang. That little bit of drama helped Martinez because now boxing fans are interested in seeing a rematch between him and Chavez Jr. Had Martinez not been dropped then there would be demand for a second fight between them. Continue reading

Sulaiman doesn’t want Chavez Jr. vs. Martinez immediate rematch

By Marcus Richardson: If WBC president Jose Sulaiman gets his way there won’t be an immediate rematch between former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-1-1, 32 KO’s) and newly crowned WBC champion Sergio Martinez (50-2-2, 28 KO’s) in early 2013. Sulaiman says that the WBC doesn’t allow immediate rematches for one-sided fights like the September 15th fight where Chavez Jr. took a real pounding in losing by a lopsided 12 round decision to the 37-year-old Martinez.

Sulaiman said to fightnews.com “The WBC is not in favor of immediate rematches, unless there is overwhelming public demand due to some unusual circumstances in the first fight. The fight was one-sided…There was no unusual circumstances to necessitate an immediate rematch.”

Of course there wasn’t. It’s painfully obvious that this is just an opportunity for Chavez Jr., Martinez and Top Rank to make a lot of money in a rematch that could take place at the Cowboys Stadium in Texas. It’s not a fight that’s in high demand but rather a fight that would do well because all of Chavez Jr’s fights do well. Id venture to guess that Chavez Jr. could fight at the Cowboys Stadium against pretty much any middleweight in the division and the fight would pack in at least 40,000 fans and do well on HBO pay per view. Continue reading