Saul “Canelo” Alvarez
Closing out a five-day, four-city international press tour which had already made stops in Los Angeles, Mexico City and New York City, WBC, Ring Magazine and Lineal Middleweight World Champion Miguel Cotto (40-4, 33 KOs) and former Two-Time Super Welterweight World Champion Canelo Alvarez (45-1-1, 32 KOs) hosted a press conference on Friday, Aug. 28 in front of a hometown audience in Cotto’s native Puerto Rico. Hundreds of media members and thousands of screaming fans filled Coliseo Rubén Rodríguez to see Cotto and Canelo and their teams despite the area being hit by Tropical Storm Erika the night before. Continue reading
Reigning WBC, Ring Magazine and Lineal Middleweight World Champion Miguel Cotto (40-4, 33 KOs) and former WBC and WBA Super Welterweight World Champion Canelo Alvarez (45-1-1, 32 KOs) were greeted by hundreds of chanting fans as they hosted a press conference in New York City on Wednesday, August 26 as part of their international four-city press tour ahead of their highly anticipated championship showdown in November.
The next mega-fight in the storied Puerto Rico vs. Mexico boxing rivalry will take place Saturday, Nov. 21 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View. At the New York City press conference held at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, Cotto, the first native of Puerto Rico to become world champion in four different weight classes, and Mexican superstar Alvarez were joined by their promoters and trainers to discuss what promises to be this year’s most epic battle. Continue reading
WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto faces a tough ask when he defends his title against the younger, stronger ‘Canelo’ Alvarez on November 21st, in what is set to be a massive Mexico v Puerto Rico prizefight in Las Vegas.
The Puerto Rican modern great – the first fighter from the country to capture 4 world titles at 4 different weights – says he is still feeling fresh at 34 years of age, and that after hanging them up seemed to be a reasonable option not so long ago, the rejuvenation he has experienced under veteran trainer Freddie Roach means retirement is now “another two, three more years” away, and a possible rematch with Floyd Mayweather is a realistic option should Floyd fight on after September. Continue reading
He will enter his WBC middleweight fight with Miguel Cotto (40-4, 33ko) in Las Vegas a slight favourite in the eyes of many fans and trade insiders, especially given his youth and natural size and strength advantages over the Puerto Rican champion, however Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (45-1-1, 32ko) is keen not rest on his laurels, telling media on this week’s press tour that he will leave no stone unturned in his preparations for the November 21st Mexico v Puerto Rico mega-fight.
“I feel the honor and pride of fighting for my country. (It’s a) big responsibility and the best thing I can do to honor that is prepare and win my fight,” Canelo said. Continue reading
Reigning WBC, Ring Magazine and Lineal Middleweight World Champion, Miguel Cotto, and former WBC and WBA Super Welterweight World Champion Canelo Alvarez, launched their four-city press tour yesterday in Los Angeles, at the Hollywood and Highland Center ahead of their highly anticipated championship showdown. The fight will take place Saturday, Nov. 21 atthe Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View. At yesterday’s event, Cotto, the first native of Puerto Rico to become world champion in four different weight classes and Mexican Superstar Alvarez were joined by their promoters and hundreds of pumped-up, chanting fans. Continue reading
After losing out with his man Manny Pacquiao in the 1st super-fight of the year, Miguel Cotto’s trainer Freddie Roach is determined not to be on the wrong end of the 2nd; November 21st’s hotly anticipated WBC middleweight clash with Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez, that will come from the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, and pits the two men together in a classic Mexico/Puerto Rico rivals encounter.
Speaking at the first official presser to launch the fight, Roach has promised that the advancing years of the champion will not be a factor provided the right adjustments are made, and the 7x trainer of the year has made it crystal clear that they have no plans to stand and slug it out with the bigger, younger Alvarez on the night. Continue reading
Miguel Cotto (40-4, 33 KOs), the reigning WBC, Ring Magazine and Lineal Middleweight World Champion and the first native of Puerto Rico to become world champion in four different weight classes, and Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez (45-1-1, 32 KOs), the former WBC and WBA Super Welterweight World Champion, will kick off an international press tour on Monday, Aug. 24 ahead of their 12-round showdown for the WBC and Ring Magazine Middleweight World Championships at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on Saturday, Nov. 21. Continue reading
Ahead of the November 21st HBO Pay-Per-View mega-fight between lineal World Middleweight champion Miguel Cotto 34, (40-4 33 KO) of Puerto Rico and Mexican superstar Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, 25 (45-1-1 32 KO) set to take place at the Mandalay Bay Hotel & Casino, Events Center in Las Vegas Nevada, former 154 lb titilist Fernando Vargas, -who was on the losing end of of a thrilling titular installment in the heated “Mexico vs Puerto Rico rivalry” against Hall of fame member Felix “Tito” Trinidad in the very same Arena Cotto and Canelo will do battle in back in late 2000 had this to say to El Vocero concerning the legacy of his historic fight with Trinidad, his respect for the fighting cultures of both Mexico and Puerto Rico and finally how Cotto V Canelo stacks up against his encounter with Trinidad. Continue reading
Even before his fight with Australia’s Daniel Geale, it was something of an open secret that WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto was lined up to fight Mexico’s Saul “Canelo” Alvarez later this year, and now the fight is officially a done deal for November 21st at the Mandalay Bay Event Center in Las Vegas, excitement among fans is building all across social media.
The fight will take place on HBO PPV at an expected 155lb catchweight, which is seemingly becoming the done thing for a Miguel Cotto middleweight defence, given by his own admission he isn’t a true 160lb fighter – and it will fast ignite the flames of the traditional Mexico v Puerto Rico boxing rivalry that has given fans some terrific contests over the years. Continue reading
MICHAEL YORKMAN, President & Chief of Branding and Strategy Roc Nation:
Good afternoon. It is a great day in boxing. As the fight of the year, which every boxing fan throughout the world has wanted to hear about and see, has finally become a reality: Cotto versus Canelo Alvarez, a 12 round fight for the total WBC and Ring Magazine Middleweight World Championship will take place on Saturday, November 21 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
The event will be produced and distributed live by our friends at HBO, Pay Per View, beginning at 9:00 PM Eastern, 6:00 PM Pacific time. The fight is presented by ROC Nation sports, Golden Boy Promotions, Miguel Cotto Promotions and Canelo Promotions. The event will be sponsored by Corona Extra, México, Live It to Believe It! and O’Reilly Auto Parts. Continue reading