By James Slater – Though unbeaten British heavyweight and would-be world title challenger Derek Chisora is understandably disappointed and frustrated right now – to the point where he is somewhat sceptical about Wladimir Klitschko’s back injury – “Del Boy’s” main concern is of making sure he will still get his fight with the world champion.
Speaking with BBC radio, the unbeaten 26-year-old who would have been swapping punches with “Dr. Steel Hammer” in two day’s time had the champion not pulled out of the fight on Germany, said that the least time he saw Wladimir up close and personal, the champ looked in fine health..
“When we saw him, everything was good,” Chisora said. “I just think he didn’t want it.”
It does seem that these days, whenever a fighter pulls out of a fight, there is speculation about whether or not the given reason for the fighter having done so is genuine. And it is perhaps strange that Wladimir has withdrawn from this fight with it so close to happening (Wlad showed no signs of having any problem at yesterday‘s open workout). Still, doctors have confirmed how the 34-year-old pulled a muscle in his back and will need approx four to six week of recovery time as a result.
What really worries Chisora, though, is the possibility that he will not now get his chance, and that Klitschko will forget all about him and fight the man he really wants next instead: David Haye. Already, there are suggestions that Klitschko and Haye will finally get it on next year, and that Chisora will miss out on the opportunity he was initially given.
However, “Del Boy” is adamant that before any Klitschko-Haye fight happens, Wladimir must face him.
“He offered the fight and he has to fight me,” Chisora said. “We want that fight. We’ve got a clause in our contract saying the fight is going to happen anyway but we’ll just have to wait and see now. I’m in the papers now and everybody wants to see what I’ve got in the ring. Him and David Haye, that’s going to have to wait for a bit because he has to get past me now.
“We’re not in it for the money. We were fighting for no-good money, we were fighting for pride and to prove we’re the best in the game, so we’re not stepping aside.”
So, if Klitschko IS thinking of forgetting all about Chisora and taking the much bigger, much more demanded fight with Haye in his next fight (and it’s merely speculation that this is what Klitschko has in mind), he will not find Chisora in any mood to allow the clash to go on. A contract is a contract, and Klitschko simply has to honour the one he signed when he agreed to defend against the untested Brit.
Will Wladimir regret ever having offered Chisora a shot? Is the world’s number-one now excited about a fight with Haye instead?
Latest Boxing News
- Mikaela Mayer faces Ewa Brodnicka on Inoue vs. Moloney card on Oct.31
- Murat Gassiev Vs. Kevin Johnson On October 31?
- Dereck Chisora Says He’s “Stronger” Than Joshua, Fury, Whyte, Wilder
- Can Cruiserweight King Mairis Briedis Make It As A Heavyweight?
- Terence Crawford Turns 33 – At 36-0, “Bud” Still In Need Of His Defining Fight
- Kenny Norton: The Fighter Muhammad Ali Was Never Able To Master
- WBSS Champ Mairis Briedis returns to Latvia with the Ali Trophy
- “Irish” Micky Ward: One of boxing’s most beloved ring warriors
- Pablo Valdez keen on ring return, reflects on COVID’s effect on his career
- 40 Years Ago Today: Marvin Hagler’s Brutal Coronation
From The Boxing Forums
- Terence Crawford versus Josh Taylor at 147
- The Charlo Bros are the real deal
- John Riel Casimero calls out Naoya Inoue “You’re no monster!”
- *** Kirks Championships *** | 2020 Boxing Prediction League
- How high out of 10 should a fighter with this record be rated?
- Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán vs. Sergey Vyacheslavovich Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo vs Derevyanchenko (how did you score it)
- (BREAKING) Mikey Garcia Confirms Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Next...
- Cruiserweight and Heavyweight thread.
- Lomachenko is getting up there in age
Latest Boxing Results:
- And The Nastiest KO Of The Night Award Goes To ….Filip Hrgovic!
- Casimero Retains WBO Bantam Title With Quick Win Over Micah – Boxing Results
- Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario in 8th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario; Jermall Charlo defeats Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo decisions Derevyanchenko – Boxing Results
- Josh Taylor Destroys Khongsong In A Round With Brutal Body Shot -Boxing Results
- Mairis Briedis wins the Ali Trophy After Enthralling Final – Boxing Results
- Photos: Taylor Blows Out Khongsong in 1 Round
- Mario Cazares Stuns Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. – Boxing Results
- Bohachuk Wins In Mexico; Reyes stops Rodriguez – Boxing Results