ATLANTIC CITY, NJ—Unbeaten world-ranked welterweight Mike Jones, of North Philadelphia, suffered a strained muscle in his left bicep over the weekend, forcing cancellation of his North American Boxing Association (NABA) title defense against Larry Mosley, of Los Angeles, CA, which was set for Saturday evening, June 6, at Bally’s Atlantic City..
The original co-feature, which pairs undefeated super bantamweight Teon Kennedy, of North Philadelphia, against Lucian Gonzalez, of Reading, PA, will be elevated to the main event.
First of seven fights will begin at 7.30 p.m.
Jones, 26, was informed Tuesday by his doctor that any continued strenuous use of his left arm could result in a torn muscle. He has been advised to resist any kind of hard training for five to six weeks.
Kennedy, 22, the 2004 National Golden Gloves champion, is 12-0, 5 K0s, and on the verge of a world ranking himself.
He goes to Atlantic City off the toughest test of his career, an eight-round decision over Andre Wilson, of St. Jos eph, MO. In that March 6 fight at the Blue Horizon in Philadelphia, Kennedy sustained a cut left eye and the first knockdown of his career to earn a split decision.
Kennedy, ranked No. 12 by the United States Boxing Association (USBA) at 122 pounds, also has beaten Castulo Gonzalez, of Lowell, MA, and Thomas Snow, of Washington, DC.
Gonzalez, 26, is 9-5-1, 1 K0. He also has beaten Castulo Gonzalez as well as Robert DaLuz, of Jacksonville, FL, another Kennedy victim.
In his biggest win on Oct. 4, 2008, Gonzalez out-pointed previously unbeaten Irishman Paul Hyland (12-0) in Philadelphia, after accepting the match the morning of the fight.
Middleweights Patrick Majewski, of Somers Point, NJ, and Latif Mundy, of North Philadelphia, put their respective unbeaten records on the line when they face in each in an eight-round contest on the June 6 card.
Majewski, 29, is 10-0, 7 K0s; Mundy, 26, is 8-0-1, 3 K0s.
The June 6 card also marks the return of heavyweight Big John Poore, of Upper Darby, PA, who has not boxed since July 2 when he was K0d in one round by Brian Minto in Minto’s Butler, PA, backyard. Poore takes on Jermell Barnes, of Rochester, NY, in a scheduled six-round contest.
Poore, 38, is 20-3, 18 K0s; Barnes, 34, is 18-20-2, 4 K0s.
Four preliminary fights complete the show.
Tickets are priced at $45 and $65. They are on sale at the offices of Peltz Boxing Promotions, Inc. (215-765-0922) or online at www.peltzboxing.com. Tickets also can be purchased through TicketMaster (800-745-3000) or online at www.ticketmaster.com.
ROBERT GUERRERO SHINING IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
May 27, 2009 (Los Angeles California) – Former two-time world champion, Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero, is looking sharp during training camp in preparation for his ESPN 2 “Friday Night Fights” debut, set to take place June 12, 2009 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose. The Glendale Fight Club in Southern California is where Guerrero’s been doing most of his sparring while getting ready for a Johnny Edwards, a bout scheduled for ten rounds.
“Training camp is always rough,” said Guerrero. “It’s the total sacrifice to leave your family for six weeks. I feel great and I’m happy that I’m getting great sparring. Everyday that I’m out here I keep thinking about the sacrifices I’m making and it’s getting me extremely hungry to get back to the ring. Everyone watching will know that I’m one of the best fighters in the world come fight night. I’m coming to make a statement.”
Guerrero was last showcased on ESPN back in 2000 when he took Gold at the Jr. Olympics. The Ghost was voted “Most Outstanding Fighter” of the tournament in which he knocked out three of his four opponents.
Tickets, priced at $100.00, $75.00, $50.00 and $25.00, are on sale now at the HP Pavilion Ticket Office, all Ticketmaster locations, by phone at 800-745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. For more information visit www.goldenboypromotions.com.
JESSE BRINKLEY RETURNS TO RENO ON SATURDAY, JULY 11TH
WORLD RANKED SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT
HEADLINES EVENTS CENTER CARD
RENO, NV . (May 27, 2009) Super middleweight Jesse Brinkley will return to action on Saturday, July 11th as he headlines an outstanding night of boxing at the Reno Events Center, presented by Reno’s “Let’s Get It On” Promotions in association with Las Vegas based TKO BOXING Promotions.
The fighting pride of Yerington, NV, Brinkley, 33-5-0 (22KO’s), is coming off an outstanding twelve round unanimous decision win over long time area rival Joey Gilbert on February 14th in front of a packed house at the Events Center. He is currently ranked #9 in the world by the IBF.
Said Terry Lane of “Let’s Get It On” Promotions, “Jesse’s win over Joey really cemented his status in the Northern Nevada region. Since that day, fans and the media have consistently asked how soon he’ll be back and we’re thrilled to co-promote his return with our partners at TKO BOXING Promotions.”
“We’re also going to be showcasing a number of young prospects including the Hinkey Brothers, Derek and Tyler, along with sensational lightweight prospect Bayan Jargal who will be fighting in Reno for the first time.”
Along with an outstanding evening of professional boxing, additional amateur bouts will also be added including Reno fan favorite Ryan Kotey from the University Nevada-Reno.
Further details on this event, including ticket ordering information will be announced in the coming days.
Reno, Nevada based “Let’s Get It On” Promotions was founded in 2000 by legendary boxing referee Mills Lane . In early 2005 he was joined by sons Terry and Tommy in the operations of the company. Along with super middleweight contender Jesse Brinkley, “Let’s Get It On” Promotions also promotes lightweight contender Rustam Nugaev, lightweight prospect Bayan Jargal and highly regarded brothers Derek and Tyler Hinkey. They have consistently promoted world class boxing events on a national basis.
Further information on “Let’s Get It On” Promotions can be viewed at www.letsgetitonboxing.com
Formed in early 2008, Chet Koerner’s Las Vegas based TKO BOXING Promotions, originator of the “HOMETOWN HEROES TO WORLD CHAMPIONS” national boxing series, stable includes; heavyweight Lenroy Thomas, super middleweight Joey Gilbert, middleweights Elvin Ayala, Albert Onolunose and James Countryman, junior middleweights Bastie Samir and Anthony Thompson, welterweights Juan Buendia and Raul Tovar, junior welterweights Jonathan Gover, Francisco Contreras and Hastings Bwayla, lightweights Rolando Reyes and Terence Crawford, featherweights Matt Remillard, Carney Bowman, Delvin Plascencia, Rafael Lora and Maxwell Awaku, super bantamweights Rafael Valenzuela and Carlos Reyes.
Further information on TKO Boxing Promotions can be viewed at their newly remodeled website, www..tkoboxingpromotions.com
Latest Boxing News
- Ralph “Tiger” Jones – The Greatest Fighter To Ever Drive A Taxi Cab
- Nigel Benn Added Immense Excitement To The 160/168 Pound Divisions In The ’80s And ’90’s – Imagine If He Was In His Prime Today!
- Srisaket Sor Rungvisai Meets Kwanthai Sithmorseng on March 12, Live on DAZN
- Caleb Plant: I definitely see Canelo fight happening this year
- Leo vs. Fulton & Aleem vs. Pasillas: Showtime Showcase’s 122-pound Division
- 48 Years On And George Foreman’s Brutal Destruction Of Joe Frazier Is Still Frightening To Watch
- Chris Eubank Jr says Kell Brook would be “fun fight”
- Yildrim’s Manager Ahmet Oner Hyping Canelo Shot, Says Yildrim Is “A Golovkin-Style” Fighter
- Canelo Alvarez vs Avni Yildirim on Feb 27 in Miami
- “Zurdo” Ramirez targets Canelo Alvarez!
Next Boxing Events
- Leo vs Fulton – Showtime – Jan. 23
- Charr vs Bryan – DonKing.com – Jan. 29
- Plant vs Truax – FOX – Jan. 30
- Kovalev Vs Melikuziev ** Cancelled **
- Warrington vs Lara – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 13
- Diaz Vs Rakhimov – DAZN – Feb. 13
- Joe Smith Jr Vs Vlasov – ESPN – Feb. 13
- Avanesyan vs Kelly – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 20
- Berchelt Vs Valdez – ESPN – Feb. 20
- Mayweather Vs Logan Paul – Fanmio – Feb 20
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport – Feb. 27
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 6
Latest Boxing Results:
- Mykquan Williams beats Yeis Solano – Boxing Results
- Fight Night Results From Ghana: Quaye, Dorgbetor & Aduku Win
- Photos: Ryan Garcia destroys Campbell, captures interim WBA 135lb title
- Ryan Garcia KOs Campbell – Boxing Results
- Garcia vs Campbell Live Fight Night Results, Photos & Quotes From Dallas
- Kazuto Ioka Looks Sensational In Stopping Kosei Tanaka – A Japanese Super Fight With Naoya Inoue Next?
- After First-Round KO Loss To Montiel, Surely The End For James Kirkland
- David O. Morrell destroys Gavronski, James Kirkland with KO Loss – Boxing Results
- Canelo vs. Callum Smith post-fight analysis
- Ilunga Makabu Stops Olanrewaju Durodola In Slugfest – Boxing Results