Can Malik Scott ruin Luis Ortiz’ big plans?

Can Malik Scott ruin Luis Ortiz' big plans?

As fans have no doubt read, unbeaten and avoided heavyweight Luis Ortiz has recently signed to UK Matchroom Promotions, having severed ties with Golden Boy earlier in the year and, for a time, being left on the sidelines, with nothing like a big fight in sight. Now, with Eddie Hearn looking to keep the Cuban southpaw busy, the 37-year-old’s chances of realizing his potential before it’s too late look a whole lot better.

Ortiz, 25-0(22) and inactive since March when he stopped and likely retired Tony Thompson, will have his first fight under the Matchroom banner on November 11 in Monaco, when he will face experienced long-time contender Malik Scott on a stacked card. Then, if he comes though okay against Scott – who, in his own most recent fight, defeated Thompson, defeating him last October – Ortiz is scheduled to fight again, against a TBA, in Manchester (in what will be Ortiz’ UK debut) on December 10.

Ortiz vs Scott, Abraham vs Murray on Nov 12 in Monte Carlo

Ortiz vs Scott, Abraham vs Murray on Nov 12 in Monte Carlo

Matchroom Boxing and the Casino de Monte-Carlo are delighted to announce a blockbuster night of World championship boxing on November 12 at Salle des Etoiles, Sporting Monte-Carlo in ‘Monte-Carlo Boxing Bonanza’ live on Sky Sports.

One of the world’s most dangerous and exciting Heavyweights, Luis Ortiz, tops the bill as he looks to add to his 22 KOs from 25 wins as he takes on Malik Scott for the WBA Inter-Continental title – with Ortiz making his European debut in his first fight since teaming up with Matchroom Boxing.

Luis Ortiz: STILL the heavyweight seemingly nobody wants to fight

Luis Ortiz: STILL the heavyweight seemingly nobody wants to fight

Just how good is unbeaten Cuban heavyweight Luis Ortiz? We don’t know, and why? – because the hard-hitting and skilled southpaw just cannot seem to get himself a fight. This far in his pro career, the reigning WBA titlist has looked good, maybe even very good; and he could perhaps have the stuff inside him needed to become a great. But the clock is ticking on the man who is on the wrong side of 35 and the big, testing fights continue to elude him.

Next up for Ortiz, supposedly, is (or was) a mandatory defence against Alexander Ustinov. This fight has been in the works for months now (it seems longer) and the last we heard was the fight would likely go ahead on the under-card of the Canelo-Smith card of September 17th. However, according to Eric Gomez of Golden Boy, who spoke with RingTV.com, the ongoing talks have “hit a snag.” The fight, part of the WBA’s tournament to crown just one fighter as the organisation’s heavyweight ruler, has to happen, but Gomez says it’s not looking good.

Luis Ortiz wants Deontay Wilder after Alexander Ustinov defence

Luis Ortiz wants Deontay Wilder after Alexander Ustinov defence

With his intriguing, arguably career-toughest fight with Alexander Povetkin having fallen apart due to well-documented reasons seemingly everyone is aware of, WBC heavyweight king Deontay Wilder moves on – but to what fight? Wilder wasted a lot of time and money setting up two camps for the Russian test/mandatory defence, and it’s likely he isn’t in the best of moods right about now as a result of getting absolutely zero for his efforts. This could be bad news for “The Bronze Bomber’s” next foe, whoever it may be.

No deal reached for Luis Ortiz-Alexander Ustinov; fight to go to purse bids

No deal reached for Luis Ortiz-Alexander Ustinov; fight to go to purse bids

The intriguing heavyweight match-up of Luis Ortiz-Alexander Ustinov will now go to purse bids, as no deal has been reached by the two parties. Ortiz of Cuba, the WBA interim champion, must fight Russia’s Ustinov next as part of the WBA’s plans to see just one man crowned as their heavyweight king. The purse bids have been called for for May 19th.

Bigger fights await Luis Ortiz, Tony Thompson says he’ll more than likely retire

1-OrtizThompson2_Hoganphotos

What next for two of the heavyweights who were in action last night: Luis Ortiz and Tony Thompson? Ortiz, the Cuban southpaw who is a claimant of the WBA title, will move on to a summer fight with Alexander Ustinov, a fight that is part of the WBA tournament designed to crown just one man as their heavyweight ruler (Lucas Browne of Australia becoming the latest claimant thanks to his thrilling stoppage win over Ruslan Chagaev yesterday).

“King Kong” Ortiz Squashes “Tiger” Thompson; Jessie Vargas Scores a Career-Best Win Against Ali

1-OrtizThompson1_Hoganphotos

The DC Armory was alive with action as Luis Ortiz continued his charge on the heavyweight division against rugged veteran Tony Thompson.

Early action saw local favorite Damon Allen (9-0, 4 KOs) dominate a game Angel Aispuro. He landed to the body and head at will, but Aispuro was defiant. At times, he gave Allen a right or left to the head to think about. However, Aispuro took a heap of punishment that culminated with a serious cut to his right ear. Referee Billy Johnson called it 2:17 into the sixth round.

Vargas stops Ali – Ortiz defeats Thompson

Vargas stops Ali - Ortiz defeats Thompson

(Photo Credit: Tom Hogan-HoganPhotos/Golden Boy Promotions) Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs) and Sadam “World Kid” Ali (22-1, 13 KOs) squared off in the co-main event for the WBO Welterweight world championship. Both fighters landed big power shots throughout the first half of the fight, but at the end of the eighth round, Vargas caught Ali with an overhand right that dropped the previously undefeated fighter. Ali made it out of the round but was still on shaky legs in the ninth, and Vargas continued to apply pressure until the referee jumped in and stopped the fight toward the end of the round.