Ortiz defeats Scott; Sosa beats Smith – results

Ortiz defeats Scott; Sosa beats Smith - results

Unbeaten highly ranked heavyweight contender Luis Ortiz (26-0, 22 KOs) did what he had to do in defeating Malik Scott *38-3-1, 13 KOs) by a 12 round unanimous decision on Saturday night to stay unbeaten in their clash at the Salle des Étoiles in Monte Carlo, Monaco.

This was supposed to have been a showcase fight for the 37-year-old Ortiz, but Scott had other ideas. He chose to stall out the fight by running around the ring, taunting Ortiz and not engaging. The results of the contest was diaster with angry boxing fans at ringside booing the lack of action. Ortiz couldn’t be blamed for it though. He was trying his best to get to Scott, but the American was totally reluctant to fight him.

Spike/HBO/Sky Sports Preview: A busy weekend full of stay busy bouts

Spike/HBO/Sky Sports Preview: A busy weekend full of stay busy bouts

The year in boxing for 2016 has played out like the filming process on a movie set, hurry up and wait. Surely boxing fans are happy to see a busy fight schedule this weekend after a dreary month of October. Busy as it may be it’s full of stay busy fights in all too common theme in boxing over the last decade. To be fair it wouldn’t be the first time a great action fight arose out of a chalk full of ho-hum bouts with the two biggest named fighters facing non-competitive opponents.

Luis Ortiz: First on my list would be Deontay Wilder, he’s talking s**t!

Luis Ortiz: First on my list would be Deontay Wilder, he's talking s**t!

Go back a few months, and Cuban heavyweight Luis Ortiz could scarcely get himself an opponent, let alone a big name or a reigning champion. But, having signed with Matchroom, the big, powerful and previously avoided southpaw is closer than ever to the big, big fights his talents deserve. This doesn’t mean Ortiz will get all he wants – he must first get past Malik Scott tomorrow night in Monaco – but the likes of Deontay Wilder and Anthony Joshua are at least possibilities now.

Luis Ortiz: 239.5 lbs. – Malik Scott: 246.4 lbs.

YouTube video

Saturday’s Special Edition of Boxing After Dark begins live at 4:00 p.m. ET/PT from Monte Carlo. The special from Salle des Etoiles in Monte Carlo features a heavyweight showdown between knockout machine Luis Ortiz taking on Malik Scott.

*There will be an evening replay at 11:00 p.m. (ET/PT).

Anthony Joshua’s three-fight plan: Molina, Klitschko, Ortiz

Anthony Joshua's three-fight plan: Molina, Klitschko, Ortiz

IBF heavyweight champ Anthony Joshua insists he is fully focused on his upcoming December 10 challenger Eric Molina, but the 17-0(17) star is also looking towards the future. Joshua makes the second defence of his belt against the dangerously determined Molina, and AJ is already planning his third and fourth defences.

As fans know, the word is that Joshua, if he’s victorious against Molina, will engage in his very first super-fight next spring against former king Wladimir Klitschko.

Plenty going on at heavyweight

Plenty going on at heavyweight

“Ruiz has the fastest hands since Ali,” Hughie Fury ready to “take all these champions,” Scott is “a Bentley who can outbox Ortiz”

Today’s heavyweight division may be plenty muddled as far as the man on the street knowing who the world champion is goes (we could soon have as many as six champs, all of them holding a belt of some kind) – but there is no shortage of action.

Hearn outlines plans for Luis Ortiz, says he could fight Joshua next year

Hearn outlines plans for Luis Ortiz, says he could fight Joshua next year

Promoter Eddie Hearn has gone into more detail regarding his plans for unbeaten heavyweight Luis Ortiz, who he recently signed to his ever growing Matchroom stable, and as he explained to Sky Sports, Ortiz could fight IBF heavyweight champ Anthony Joshua next year some time.

Hearn said that, assuming the Cuban southpaw gets past Malik Scott in Monaco next month in what will be Ortiz’ debut under the Matchroom banner, he will then box a TBA on the under-card of Joshua’s next fight (both exact date and opponent still to be confirmed, but likely for December) and then, next year, Ortiz will fight again in the US; again against TBA.

Malik Scott to face Luis Ortiz on November 12

Malik Scott to face Luis Ortiz on November 12

World ranked heavyweight contender MALIK SCOTT, (38-2-1, 13 KO’s), is headed to the world’s foremost tourist destination, Monte Carlo, on Saturday, November 12 to face feared, undefeated and #1 ranked “King Kong” LUIS ORTIZ, (25-0, 22 KO’s) at the Salle des Etoiles for the vacant World Boxing Association Inter-Continental Heavyweight Title.

“This is the fight I wanted, I picked him, “said Scott. “I told my promoter Tom Brown one of the three, either Anthony Joshua, David Haye or Luis Ortiz.”