Following a rib injury suffered in training, former three-division world champion Abner Mares has been forced to withdraw from his Saturday, Feb. 15 rematch with WBC Featherweight Champion Jhonny Gonzalez, causing a postponement of the entire SHOWTIME® televised event at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.
A new date for the rematch will be announced once Mares is cleared to resume training.
“I’d like to apologize to all of my fans, Golden Boy Promotions and Jhonny Gonzalez,” said Mares. “I was looking forward to getting back into the ring with Jhonny to avenge my loss, and once I recover from this injury, I’ll be back in the gym and ready for this rematch as soon as possible.” Continue reading
For Manny Pacquiao, despite his phenomenal popularity and status in the sport of boxing, the road back to the top, will be much harder and longer than for any other currently in the sport.
Winning a fight is a good step forward, but it’s getting the nod from the fans that might take more effort than most assume.
Believe it or not, but I would bet that his knockout loss to Marquez has probably affected Pacquiao in the most minimalistic fashion. Not only did he hold victories against Marquez before he lost, but Dinamita is an established world class champion with unbelievable technical boxing ability and heart. Continue reading
Before Tyson Fury wasted a lot of time trying to get a fight against David Haye, he was ranked high by the WBC and within position to compete for the WBC heavyweight title. But with two fights against Haye falling through, Fury now finds himself having been dropped to No.8 by the World Boxing Council, and he’s nowhere near getting a crack at that belt. Needless to say, Fury’s not happy about it and he complained at length about it on Buncey’s Boxing Podcast this week.
Here’s some of what Fury said:
“There was three people eligible to fight for the vacant WBC title. One of them was me because I beat Kevin Johnson in a WBC eliminator. Another one was Bermane Stiverne because he beat Chris Arreola in an eliminator. Continue reading
Monte Carlo (January 7, 2014) Golden Gloves’ Rodney Berman has reacted furiously to former world champion Nathan Cleverly’s abrupt withdrawal from his February 1 fight against Junior Makabu in an international 10-rounder on the Monte-Carlo Boxing Bonanza card.
Berman was reacting to reports, corroborated by Frank Warren, that Cleverly had injured himself – for the second time – ahead of his cruiserweight debut against the big-hitting African.
“I knew he’d pull out,” fumed Berman. “He’s not a true champion, I always felt that. Whatever excuse Cleverly is making, I know he hasn’t been injured. He pulled out because he realised he had no chance against Makabu. Everyone said that when the fight was signed and it obviously dawned on him. Continue reading
The negotiations between Manny Pacquiao (55-5-2, 38 KO’s) and WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (31-0, 12 KO’s) are dragging out a lot longer than what many boxing experts expected it to for their proposed April 12th rematch at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. According to Steve Kim, Bradley is asking for an $8 million guarantee for the rematch with Pacquiao, which is above the $5 million that he received in their previous fight in June of 2012.
That fight brought in close to 900,000 PPV buys. But with Pacquiao losing that one, and then getting stopped by Juan Manuel Marquez in December of 2012, the interest in Pacquiao’s fights may have dropped off with boxing fans. His last fight against Brandon Rios brought in just 475,000 PPV buys. Continue reading
“The Black Panther” reunited with championship coach Fritz Sdunek
Last year former WBC cruiserweight champion Juan Carlos Gomez successfully returned to his old weight division at 200 lbs. after campaigning at heavyweight for more than 10 years. Now “The Black Panther” is eyeing another world title shot for 2014. “I would love to fight against Marco Huck because I think he is the best cruiserweight in the world right now – at least until I beat him”, states Gomez.
Because Huck is set to defend his WBO championship against Firat Arslan on January 25 in Stuttgart, Gomez is now calling out fellow Cuban defector and IBF titlist Yoan Pablo Hernandez. Continue reading
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (42-1-1, 30 KO’s) will be playing it safe for his next fight by taking a confidence builder fight against Alfredo Angulo (22-3, 18 KO’s) on March 8th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Mexican news site Esto has broken the story about this match-up. The Canelo-Angulo fight is expected to be a pay-per-view bout on Showtime. It’s going to be interesting to see how much this fight will be going for on PPV, because both fighters are coming off of losses.
Canelo is headlining the card, and hopefully Golden Boy Promotions will stack the undercard with interesting fights to make it worth purchasing on PPV. For a main event fight, Canelo-Angulo is not an appealing fight when you’re talking about paying to see it. Of course, if Golden Boy chooses to have this fight on regular Showtime then this isn’t a bad tuneup fight for Canelo. But in no way should this be a PPV fight. Continue reading
Manny Pacquiao’s lawyer Franklin Gacal Jr. thinks Bob Arum of Top Rank should be a good one and free Manny Pacquiao up from the remainder of his contract with Top Rank so that Pacquiao can fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a history-making bout in 2014. Pacquiao is still under contract with Arum for the whole of 2014, and as long as he’s with him, Mayweather will not agree to fight Pacquiao.
Would Arum agree to let Pacquiao leave Top Rank for the good of Pacquiao? There’s no question that a Mayweather fight would be a big boost for Pacquiao’s career right now. He’s lost 2 out of his last 3 fights, his last fight against Arum’s fighter Brandon Rios was disappointment in bringing in only 475,000 pay-perv-view buys. Arum says fans weren’t interested because the fight took place in Macao, China instead of the United States. Getting beaten in back to back fights probably didn’t help Manny any. Continue reading
HBO’s hit late-night boxing franchise begins 2014 with an all-action doubleheader featuring an intriguing junior lightweight title showdown when HBO BOXING AFTER DARK: MIKEY GARCIA VS. JUAN CARLOS BURGOS AND BRYANT JENNINGS VS. ARTUR SZPILKA is seen SATURDAY, JAN. 25 at 9:45 p.m. (live ET/tape-delayed PT), exclusively on HBO. The HBO Sports team will be ringside for the event, which will be available in HDTV, closed-captioned for the hearing-impaired and presented in Spanish on HBO Latino.
Other HBO playdates: Jan. 26 (9:30 a.m.) and 28 (midnight)
HBO2 playdates: Jan. 26 (4:45 p.m.) and 27 (11:00 p.m.) Continue reading
American fight fans will see the biggest bout in Canadian boxing history when the action-packed tripleheader WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING: JEAN PASCAL VS. LUCIAN BUTE, ELEIDER ALVAREZ VS. THOMAS OOSTHUIZEN AND MIKE PEREZ VS. CARLOS TAKAM is presented SATURDAY, JAN. 18 at 10:15 p.m. (live ET/tape-delayed PT) from the Bell Centre in Montreal, exclusively on HBO. The HBO Sports team will call all the action, presented in HDTV and in Spanish on HBO Latino.
Other HBO playdates: Jan. 19 (8:30 a.m.) and 21 (midnight)
HBO2 playdates: Jan. 19 (4:00 p.m.) and 20 (11:00 p.m.) Continue reading