Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn says he wants to put together a big rematch between his recently signed former WBO light heavyweight champion Nathan Nathan Cleverly (26-1, 12 KO’s) and former WBC Silver light heavyweight champion Tony Bellew (21-2-1, 13 KO’s) as soon as Cleverly gets past his scheduled May 17th fight date at the Motorpoint Arena, in Cardiff, Wales.
Hearn doesn’t have an opponent picked out for Cleverly yet, but suffice it to say that it won’t be anyone good enough to worry the 27-year-old fighter any. This is Cleverly’s cruiserweight debut, so Hearn will make sure that he matches him softly so there’s no chance of a mishap. Hearn almost blew it with his matching of Bellew against 37-year-old Valery Brudov this month in a fight that Bellew took a beating and was staggered at one point in the fight in the 7th round. Continue reading
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has some concerns about whether his aging money fighter 35-year-old Manny Pacquiao (55-5-2, 38 KO’s) can get by his next opponent WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley (31-0, 12 KO’s) on April 12th next month. Pacquiao didn’t look so great the last time he fought Bradley two years ago, and there’s no way of knowing if Pacquiao will be any better in the remain.
A loss for Pacquiao would likely be a huge blow for Arum, because it could become much more difficult to sell Pacquiao’s fights on pay-per-view. Pacquiao’s last fight against Brandon Rios drew only 475,000 last November, and you’ve got to figure that a defeat at the hands of Bradley won’t help matters for the Filipino star. That would be his third defeat in his last four fights. Continue reading
MONTREAL (March 27, 2014)- The 2013 “Fighter of the Year,” according to The Ring Magazine and many other boxing publications, as well as the recipient of the prestigious “KO of the Year” award, Adonis “Superman” Stevenson ( 23-1-0, 20 KOs ) returns to the ring May 24 at Bell Centre in Montreal to defend his World Boxing Council (WBC), The Ring and lineal light heavyweight titles for the third time against challenger Andrzej Fonfara (25-2-0, 15KO ).
Born in Warsaw, Poland and now fighting out of Chicago, Illinois, Fonfara is rated No. 1 by the International Boxing Federation (IBF) and World Boxing Organization (WBO), as well as No. 3 by the WBC. Continue reading
Photo by Andrew Jackson – WBA International Welterweight Champion Luis Collazo arrived this week at Fort Jackson Military Base in South Carolina to prepare for his upcoming WBC Silver Welterweight World Championship bout against former unified world champion Amir “King” Khan. The bout was officially announced earlier this week as the co-main event of “THE MOMENT: Mayweather vs. Maidana” which will take place on May 3 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nev., live on SHOWTIME PPV®.
“I love coming down here, it’s a great place to focus before a big fight,” said Collazo. “The atmosphere in Fort Jackson is great. It’s simply an amazing place to train. The troops inspire me. They are disciplined and loyal, and they push themselves to the limit.
I admire them. I always gain inspiration from being around them.” Continue reading
We won’t have to wait too long before we witness the rematch between Carl Froch and George Groves, May 31st to be exact, which is being staged at a sold-out 80,000 capacity Wembley Stadium. So I thought I’d provide my own view of the controversial ending of their first encounter and also express an opinion on the likely outcome of the rematch itself.
Just to be clear, when reviewing the first fight, I believe that George Groves had a comfortable lead on the scorecards, despite whatever the official scorecards claimed, and also thought that the ref’s stoppage was premature. However, I’m convinced that this was a classic case of one punch too soon or one punch too late. I feel that Groves put the referee in a difficult situation by not defending himself effectively when he was on the receiving end of Froch’s relentless onslaught. Continue reading
Juergen Braehmer (42-2, 31 KOs) will make the first defense of his WBA World Light Heavyweight Title against Enzo Maccarinelli (38-6, 30 KOs) on April 5 in Rostock, Germany.
The reigning champion returns to Rostock for the first time since an ill-fated challenge for the WBA crown in 2008. With this defeat still fresh in his mind, Braehmer is adamant that history will not repeat itself when he faces Maccarinelli.
Q: Mr. Braehmer, what comes to your mind when you think of boxing in Rostock?
JB: That you should only step into the ring when you are fit to fight.
Q: Is this answer related to your missed world title opportunity in 2008? Continue reading
“Peace Fighter” Hamid Rahimi as co-feature
On April 12th, 2014, two former foes of WBC heavyweight champion “in recess” Vitali Klitschko square off at the Telekom Dome in Bonn, Germany, when local hero and WBC #6 rated Manuel Charr faces Kevin “Kingpin” Johnson on a show promoted by Charr’s “Diamond Boy Promotion”. Johnson went the distance with the elder Klitschko brother losing a lopsided decision in December 2009 and has lost three of his last four against Tyson Fury, Christian Hammer and Dereck Chisora. Manuel Charr was stopped by a cut when he challenged Vitali in September 2012 but successfully recovered from his sole career loss winning four in a row and collecting a couple of WBC regional titles. Continue reading
This Friday night sees action return to the Malvern Town Hall, Victoria, Australia for the first time in 2014 in what is set to be an exciting night of action.
The six fight card will see leading Victorian stars, undefeated middleweight Michael Zerafa (14-0, 7 KOs) and light welterweight Terry Tzouramanis (11-1-3, 2 KOs) in action along with the comeback of Manny Vlamis (11-3, 8 KOs), returning after almost two years out of the ring. Continue reading
It has recently been revealed that Carl Froch and George Groves will face each other in a rematch that is expected to take place on 31st May 2014. This is after of course the controversial ending of the Froch-Groves I, in which George Groves alleged that he was stopped too soon in the 9th round. News of this rematch started rumours that this match will be the biggest bout in Britain of 2014. I expect that above rumour will be proven, but with little possibility of a controversial ending like the first Froch-Groves bout ended.
During Wednesday’s conference call for Amir Khan and Luis Collazo, I had a chance to ask Collazo how he felt about being back on the big stage after he disappeared from the boxing spotlight. He responded by telling me that just talking about it made him emotional. Collazo says “I’m just grateful for this opportunity to be back on top of the boxing world”. He has given his life to god and said that he is no longer on his own time but ” Right now I’m on God’s time”.
Collazo hasn’t lost a fight since 2011 to Freddy Hernandez. Since then he has won four straight with his most recent fight being his most important. His victory over Victor Ortiz put him in the position to challenge Amir Khan as the co-main event to Mayweather-Maidana on Showtime PPV. Continue reading