Boxing news, views and results


Search
You are here:

Jeff Sorby

Will Cotto vacate his WBC title rather than fight Golovkin?

WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) could find himself in the position where he’ll be expected to face the winner of the October 18th fight between WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golokvin and Marco Antonio Rubio next year at some point if he wants to hold onto the WBC title.

Cotto will be taking a stay busy fight on December 13th against possibly Andy Lee. After that fight, Cotto and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will likely be meeting each other in May of 2015. Cotto reportedly intends on defending his WBC middleweight title against Canelo. Continue reading

Adrien Broner needs to dedicate himself to the sport, says Rosado

If former three division world champion Adrien Broner (28-1, 22 KOs) wants to have a successful career then he’s going to need to dedicate himself fully to the sport of boxing, says former middleweight world title challenger Gabriel Rosado.

Rosado believes that Broner is spending too much partying and touring and not enough time in the gym training at his craft. Rosado likes the heart that Broner showed against Marcos Maidana last December in taking a beating and getting up from two knockdowns, but he still thinks that Broner isn’t putting everything he has in his career. Continue reading

Wilder vs. Stiverne and Garcia vs. Postol purse bids ordered for September 12th by WBC

It looks like boxing fans won’t get to see a fight between IBF light welterweight champion Lamont Peterson and WBA/WBC 140 pound champion Danny Garcia for later this year, because the World Boxing Council has ordered a purse bid for the fight between Garcia and his mandatory challenger #1 WBC Viktor Postol (26-0, 11 KOs) for September 12th.

Garcia and Peterson could still face each other instead by getting permission by the WBC for a unification match, but it’s unclear how much interest there is in such a match-up. There was talk that if the fight did happen between them, it would be another catch-weight fight like Garcia’s recent bout against Rod Salka and Peterson’s fight last year against Lucas Matthysse. Continue reading

Cotto not expected to face a high caliber opponent in December

WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) and his trainer Freddie Roach wanted to capture the WBC 160 pound strap for legacy purposes. Cotto wanted to win a 4th division world title, because it’s something he valued and he felt that it would validate his career.

Now that Cotto has the belt after beating 39-year-old Sergio Martinez instead of someone a little younger and active like WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, there’s talk that Cotto will possibly be facing a weak opponent for his next fight on December 13th. Continue reading

Kovalev plans on taking Hopkins’ scalp to make history on November 8th

WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (25-0-1, 23 KOs) plans on adding 49-year-old Bernard Hopkins’ scalp to his resume on November 8th in what he feels will make history for him and put his name up there with the other top fighters in the sport of boxing. In addition, Kovalev will capture Hopkins’ IBF and WBA 175lb titles, and that would give Kovalev 3 of the 4 world titles at light heavyweight.

“I’m happier I’m going to be fighting Bernard Hopkins there [Atlantic City] because that’s going to put my name into the history of boxing,” Kovalev said via RingTV.com. “Most likely, also, I’m going to be making history in boxing by winning against Bernard Hopkins. That’s going to put me in the top tier,” Kovalev said. Continue reading

Austin Trout in a make or break fight tonight against Daniel Dawson

Former WBA 154 pound champion Austin Trout (26-2, 14 KOs) is in a must win fight tonight against Daniel Dawson (40-3-1-1, 26 KOs) in a 12 round fight on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights at the Pechanga Resort & Casino, in Temecula, California, USA.

#7 WBA Trout wants to get back in with the big names in the division like Erislandy Lara and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez after losing to both of them last year in 12 round decision losses, but he’s going to need to get past Dawson before he can even start to talk about wanting to get either of them back in the ring again. Continue reading

Abner Mares signs with Al Haymon

Adviser Al Haymon signed former 3 division world champ Abner Mares (27-1-1, 14 KOs) to a contract on Thursday. Mares is still trying to rebuild his career, so Haymon might be able to assist him in getting him some more tune-up fights and then eventually a world title shot.

Mares’ contract with Golden Boy Promotions reportedly expires in November, and it’s unknown at this point whether he’ll stay with them or move on to another promoter like Mayweather Promotions. Continue reading

Hopkins thinks some fans see Kovalev as their savior

IBF/WBA light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins (55-6-2, 32 KOs) thinks that some boxing fans are hoping to a high degree that WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (25-0-1, 23 KOs) will knock him out in their unification fight on November 8th in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Hopkins believes for some fans, they’ve circled their wagons around Kovalev and embraced him as the guy that can finally put him down after all these years and put him in his place by showing him that he should have retired like they wanted to. Continue reading

Ricky Burns looking for 3rd division world title at 140 in 2015

Ricky Burns (31-4-1, 11 KOs) will be hunting for his 3rd division world title next year at light welterweight. He’s given up on the idea of saying at 135 due to the problems he’s been having in making weight for the class.

Burns and his manager Alex Morrison feel that a move up to light welterweight will result in Burns having the strength and energy that has recently abandoned him. Burns is scheduled to fight for the first time at 140 on October 4th in Leeds. Continue reading

Brandon Rios vs. Ruslan Provodnikov in the works for November

Former WBA lightweight champion Brandon Rios (32-2-1, 23 KOs) won’t be going back and clearing up the huge controversy surrounding his 9th round disqualification win over Diego Chaves from earlier this month. Instead, Rios is being matched up by his promoters at Top Rank against former WBO light welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov (23-3, 16 KOs) this November, according to Boxingsphere. The negotiations are underway right now between the two fighter’s management.

Rios was on his way to losing to Diego Chaves when referee Vic Drakulitch stepped in and stopped the fight in the 9th round following a head-lock that Chaves had put on Rios. It was later learned that Drakulich had disqualified Chaves for throwing an elbow at some point in the 9th round. It didn’t take place at the time of the stoppage because Chaves didn’t throw an elbow. Continue reading

1 8 9 10 11 12 37