Former WBO world title challenger Brian “The Beast” Minto (36-5) returns to the ring Saturday August 18th at the Mountaineer Casino and Resort in Chester, West Virginia. Coming off a recent TKO victory less than 3 months ago at Mountaineer, Minto, a former WBO NABO heavyweight champ, will face Mike Sheppard (20-13) over 12 rounds for the vacant NABA US heavyweight title. A winner of 5 of his last 6 fights, Sheppard dropped a 10 round majority decision against fringe contender Nicolai Firtha in his last bid for the NABA US heavyweight title in 2010.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry.
CHRIS ALGIERI LOOKS TO REMAIN PERFECT AGAINST RAUL TOVAR THIS SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE ON GFL
NEW YORK (July 26, 2012)—This Saturday night undefeated Jr. Welterweight Chris Algieri will looks to remain perfect when he battles tough Raul Tovar in an eight round bout that headlines a terrific night of boxing that can be seen LIVE ALL OVER THE WORLD on www.gfl.tv
That bout plus a full undercard be seen beginning at 7:30 pm eastern / 4:30 pacific for just $9.99 by clicking: http://www.gfl.tv/Events/Fight/Boxing/Star_Boxing__Rockin_Fights_4/1622
The card will originate from the beautiful Paramount Theater in Algieri’s hometown of Huntington, New York and is promoted by Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing.
The 28-year-old Algieri, 14-0 with seven knockouts, has been improving with each performance under world class trainer Robert Garcia.
In his first two bouts of 2012, the former kick boxing world champion and pre-med student took an eight round shutout decision win over Curtis Smith on January 28th followed by a third round knockout of Winston Mathis on March 31st, both in front of raucous, sold out crowds at The Paramount. In his Paramount debut on November 19th, 2011, Algieri scored his biggest win to date when scored a ten round unanimous decision over Bayan Jargal.
The 23-year-old Tovar, sporting a record of 10-5-1 (4KO’s), is coming off a unanimous decision win over DeShaun Williams on May 19th in Pharr, Texas. Riding a two bout-winning streak, the Mission, Texas native also knocked out Miguel Pizarro in the second round on October 21st of last year, also in Pharr, Texas.
This will be the fifth undefeated opponent that Tovar has faced and he has sprung the upset in the past when he won a six round unanimous decision over Simon Dunwell (9-0) and dropped previously undefeated John David Charles (6-0) two times en route to a unanimous decision victory.
In the six round co-feature, Undefeated junior lightweight and Bronx native Manny Gonzalez will challenge Chazz McDowell of Yonkers in a cross-town showdown for the New York State Junior Lightweight Championship
Gonzalez has compiled a record of 10-0-0 with seven knockouts since turning pro in December 2008.
The 24-year-old former amateur standout is coming off a dominant victory over Jesus Bayron on February 10th at the Mohegan Sun Casino. Although cut under his right eye from an accidental head butt, the colorful and hard punching Gonzalez stormed to a unanimous decision impressing the huge crowd in attendance and ESPN Friday Night Fights viewers.
McDowell, sporting a record of 6-1-0 (1KO), was also a standout amateur, winning the 2007 New York Golden Gloves and the 2005 Junior Olympics.
Known for his slick boxing skills McDowell won a six round decision over Yuriel Ramos on May 12th in Poughkeepsie, New York.
The rest of the card will feature undefeated Cletus “The Hebrew Hammer” Seldin (7-0, 5 KO’s) taking on battles tested veteran Ronnie Warrior Jr. (13-6-1, 4 KO’s)
Undefeated Welterweight Anthony Karperies (1-0, 1 KO) will take on an opponent to be named.
In a battle of undefeated Middleweights Raul Nuncio (2-0-1, 1 KO) takes on Anthony Jones (2-0-1)
GFL now offers full access to over 7,000 fights for the low monthly price of $9.99 subscribe now at www.GFL.tv
Garcia to meet Action Jackson in Battle at the Boat 88!
Tacoma, WA (July 27, 2012) – On Saturday, August 18, lightweights Juan Garcia and John “Action” Jackson will go toe to toe at the Emerald Queen Casino in Tacoma, WA when they headline Halquist Productions’ “Battle at the Boat 88.”
Tickets from $25 are on sale now and can be purchased at all Ticketmaster outlets or the EQC box office.
Garcia, 16-3 (5 KO’s), hails from Phoenix, AZ and took many tough fights thus far, challenging the likes of David Rodela, Cornelius Lock and “Battle at the Boat” veteran Jose Hernandez. Only six of Garcia’s 19 opponents had losing records and he’ll enter the ring wit a two bout winning streak.
Known in the boxing world as “Action Jackson,” 26-year-old John Jackson was born in Detroit, MI and fights out of Miami, FL. With a 15-3 professional ledger and 13 wins by way of knockout, the cement fisted Jackson perfected his craft at the famed Kronk Gym. Prior to turning pro, he won medals at numerous amateur tournaments en route to being one of the hottest prospects in boxing when he turned pro in 2005.
The Garcia-Jackson showdown is scheduled for ten rounds.
Local hero and retired Marine Nate Serrano, 4-1-1 (3 KO’s), has his sights set on revenge when he meets Osvaldo Rojas, 6-2 (2 KO’s), in the co-featured bout of the evening. Serrano, of Yakima, WA, and Portland, OR’s Rojas met in June at the Emerald Queen, battling to a crowd-pleasing six round draw. The two welterweights will once again duke it out in a six rounder.
The undercard also pits junior welterweights Portland native Ray Lampkin Jr., 1-0, against Yakima’s Randell Corpuz 2-1-1. Lampkin is the son of Ray Lampkin Sr., who challenged legend Roberto Duran for the lightweight title in 1975. In a battle of debuting cruiserweights looking to make a statement, Cody Kraylavich meets Cody Gates in a four round affair.
“I’m very excited to see how these match-ups will play out on the 18th,” stated Brian Halquist, CEO of Halquist Productions. “I’ve always loved matching two hungry guys like Garcia and Jackson because 99 times out of 100, they leave everything in the ring. Serrano and Rojas is another solid fight and Ray Lampkin Jr. really impressed me in his pro debut, so I encourage all of the fight fanatics in the Pacific Northwest to come out and show their support.”
Additional bouts will be added shortly.
Doors open at 6 pm and the opening bell is scheduled for 7.
During the last 23 years, Halquist Productions built a reputation in the boxing world for their loyalty, honesty and integrity. In 1997, Halquist Productions ran their inaugural “Battle at the Boat” series, which remains successful to this day. Halquist Productions promoted many world title bouts and their fight cards have been seen on ESPN, HBO and Showtime.
Latest Boxing News
- Alexander Povetkin Recovering From Covid, Back In “Light Training”
- Claressa Shields Signs Deal With PFL, Will Compete In MMA As A Lightweight
- So Now Who’s The Best Young And Unbeaten Heavyweight Prospect?
- Daniel Jacobs now a free agent, Matchroom contract over
- Daniel Dubois: “I’m Out Of Hospital, I’ll Be Back To Prove My Doubters Wrong”
- Saunders looking past Murray, targeting Canelo vs. Smith winner
- Foreman Thinks Tyson Can Become Champ Again If He Fights “The Right Champion,” Holmes And Atlas Disagree
- Are You Thirsty For More Mike Tyson Exhibition Bouts? Tyson Says “I’d Like To Have One Every Two Months
- Johnny Nelson: Daniel Dubois showed weakness in quitting
- Joe Joyce vs Usyk II: Who Wins?
From The Boxing Forums
- Tyson Fury on Dubois: 'Boxing is a heart sport'
- Hrgovic has said before that he wants a fight with the winner of Dubois vs Joyce.
- So, now Lennox wants to come back and face Bowe
- Did Tyson Surprise You?
- Would Conor McGregor have made a decent boxer?
- Jones vs Tyson 2003
- Wanheng Menayothin suffers first loss
- Could Dubois beat Chisora ???
- Deontay Wilder will be back "Between the first week of January and early February."
- *** Kirks Championships *** | 2020 Boxing Prediction League
Latest Boxing Results:
- Johnny Nelson: Daniel Dubois showed weakness in quitting
- Mike Tyson – Roy Jones Jr exhibition match ends in 8-round draw – Boxing Results
- Joe Joyce Too Good For Daniel Dubois, Scores 10th Round KO Win – Boxing Results
- Joyce forces Dubois to quit on a knee in the 10th
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr Back With A Win, Halts Minda In Four Rounds – Boxing Results
- Daniel Jacobs decisions Gabe Rosado – Boxing Results
- Tony Yoka Wins Wide Decision Over Christian Hammer – Boxing Results
- Jacobs vs. Rosado – live action
- Upset In Thailand As Wanheng Menayothin Loses For The First Time; Drops To 54-1!
- Eddie Hearn raves about Alen Babic and Fabio Wardley