By James Slater – Viewed by many as America’s best unbeaten young heavyweight contender, former football player turned world class fighter Seth Mitchell will be back in action on October 6th in Atlantic City, reports Ringtv.com. “Mayhem,” last seen hammering out an exciting 3rd-round TKO over a game Chazz Witherspoon in April, injured his hand in the slugfest and his fight with Johnathon Banks had to be postponed – it will now happen on Oct. 6th, on an HBO card that will also feature the red-hot Adrien Broner (against a TBA which will not now be Hank Lundy, who lost a decision to Raymundo Beltran last night)..
Mitchell told Ringtv that he is back hitting the heavy bag now, and that he hopes to get back into sparring in around three weeks – plenty of time before the fight in October. In former cruiserweight Banks, 28-1-1(18), Mitchell will be facing a guy he calls “crafty.” Banks is actually unbeaten as a heavyweight, having compiled a decent 8-0-1 record since moving up from cruiserweight where he failed in a challenge of IBF ruler Tomas Adamek.
The 30-year-old from Detroit might be able to ask Brandywine’s Mitchell, also aged 30, and 25-0-1(19) as a pro, some questions. Banks, who has been halted only by Adamek (in the 8th-round of a competitive fight), doesn’t figure to go early, that’s for sure. Having learnt a lot from sparring countless rounds with the Klitschko brothers (the eventual target for Mitchell, his manager telling Ring that the plan is for Seth to fight for Vitali’s expected to be vacated belt, and then fight Wladimir “for all of the belts, perhaps some time in late 2013”) Banks is a savvy defensive fighter.
Of course, there is a chance Banks may fall into “sparring partner mode” on October 6th (as he has appeared to have done in other, somewhat dull fights he’s had) but it will be Mitchell’s job to make Banks fight and then get to him with his shots and stop him. If Mitchell can do this and score an emphatic stoppage, he will have done well and made some sort of a statement.
I go for Mitchell to have to make do with a wide points win instead; keeping both his perfect record and his chances of landing a date with a Klitschko in the process.
Latest Boxing News
- Eddie Hearn thinks Joshua vs. Fury will pay them Mayweather money
- Ralph “Tiger” Jones – The Greatest Fighter To Ever Drive A Taxi Cab
- Nigel Benn Added Immense Excitement To The 160/168 Pound Divisions In The ’80s And ’90’s – Imagine If He Was In His Prime Today!
- Srisaket Sor Rungvisai Meets Kwanthai Sithmorseng on March 12, Live on DAZN
- Caleb Plant: I definitely see Canelo fight happening this year
- Leo vs. Fulton & Aleem vs. Pasillas: Showtime Showcase’s 122-pound Division
- 48 Years On And George Foreman’s Brutal Destruction Of Joe Frazier Is Still Frightening To Watch
- Chris Eubank Jr says Kell Brook would be “fun fight”
- Yildrim’s Manager Ahmet Oner Hyping Canelo Shot, Says Yildrim Is “A Golovkin-Style” Fighter
- Canelo Alvarez vs Avni Yildirim on Feb 27 in Miami
Next Boxing Events
- Leo vs Fulton – Showtime – Jan. 23
- Charr vs Bryan – DonKing.com – Jan. 29
- Plant vs Truax – FOX – Jan. 30
- Kovalev Vs Melikuziev ** Cancelled **
- Warrington vs Lara – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 13
- Diaz Vs Rakhimov – DAZN – Feb. 13
- Joe Smith Jr Vs Vlasov – ESPN – Feb. 13
- Avanesyan vs Kelly – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 20
- Berchelt Vs Valdez – ESPN – Feb. 20
- Mayweather Vs Logan Paul – Fanmio – Feb 20
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport – Feb. 27
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 6
Latest Boxing Results:
- Mykquan Williams beats Yeis Solano – Boxing Results
- Fight Night Results From Ghana: Quaye, Dorgbetor & Aduku Win
- Photos: Ryan Garcia destroys Campbell, captures interim WBA 135lb title
- Ryan Garcia KOs Campbell – Boxing Results
- Garcia vs Campbell Live Fight Night Results, Photos & Quotes From Dallas
- Kazuto Ioka Looks Sensational In Stopping Kosei Tanaka – A Japanese Super Fight With Naoya Inoue Next?
- After First-Round KO Loss To Montiel, Surely The End For James Kirkland
- David O. Morrell destroys Gavronski, James Kirkland with KO Loss – Boxing Results
- Canelo vs. Callum Smith post-fight analysis
- Ilunga Makabu Stops Olanrewaju Durodola In Slugfest – Boxing Results