PROVIDENCE (June 29, 2012) – In his continuing effort to get back to the top of the American heavyweight scene, 2008 U.S. Olympian Jason “Big Six” Estrada won a workmanlike eight-round decision over Puerto Rican-invader Alex Gonzales in the main event on tonight’s “Takeover” card, presented by Big Six Entertainment, at the Rhode Island Convention Center in Providence.
In a toe-to-toe battle between quick-handed Estrada (19-4, 5 KOs) and cagey southpaw Gonzales (20-7, 10 KOs), Providence heavyweight Estrada consistently beat Gonzales, a former world title challenger and 1992 Puerto Rican Olympian, to the punch.
Estrada won all eight rounds on each of the three judges’ scorecards by scores of 80-72.
“I thought it was a good performance,” Estrada said after the fight. “The dude can take a shot. Once I realized that he wouldn’t go, I boxed his head off. I hurt my thumb a little in the second round, so I boxed and used my jab.
“Next? If (Tony) Grano wants to fight, let’s go. I’ve been trying to get him in the ring for a long time.”
The comeback of former USBA and NABO middleweight champion Brian “The Bull” Barbosa (31-6, 23 KOs), now fighting out of Providence, continued on a high note in the co-feature. Barbosa decked light heavyweight John “Rusty” Johnson (13-3, 11 KOs) twice en route his fifth-round TKO victory.
Pawtucket (RI) junior welterweight Diego Pereira (7-0-1, 3 KOs) kept his unbeaten record intact, destroying dangerous William “Chino” Correa (9-6, KOs) by way of a second-round technical knockout.
The long awaited pro debut of junior lightweight Toka Khan-Clary was a monumental success. Liberian-native Kahn-Clary, fighting out of Pawtucket (RI), dropped a game Jonathan Caban with a body shot in the opening round. The young southpaw dropped Caban again in the second and pounded the New Yorker until the referee halted the action later in the same round.
Unbeaten junior welterweight Jair Ramos (3-0, 2 KOs) stopped an overmatched Joel Alarcon in the third round.
Providence junior middleweight Kali Reiss improved her record to 5-1-1, taking a four-round decision from Lyneisha Jefferson in an action-packed fight.
Jesus Cintron (1-1-1) recorded his first win as a professional with a four-round decision over Rameil Shelton.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, BoxNation, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results