By Rob Smith: According to ESPN writer Dan Rafael, #4 WBC 154 lb contender James Kirkland (31-1, 27 KO’s) will replace Paul Williams to face WBC junior middleweight champion Saul Alvarez (40-0-1, 29 KO’s) on September 15th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada in a pay-per-view bout. Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, says the fight is done and ready to go.
It’s still kind of difficult to imagine having to pay to see Kirkland fight Alvarez, because Kirkland looked absolutely horrible in his last fight against Carlos Molina last March. Having to pay to see him fight now seems more than a little odd. And I also can’t quite stomach the thought of paying to see the inexperienced 21-year-old Alvarez fight, because he’s never actually fought anyone that I consider a good fighter. Look at the guys that Alvarez has fought in the past two years and you tell me if he deserves to be headlining a PPV bout:
Luciano Leonel Cuello
Jose Miguel Cotto
I’m sorry but I don’t see that as the kind of resume for someone headlining a PPV bout. To me, that’s a regular HBO or ESPN2 fighter at best.
As of now, this is all there is for the undercard:
Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Daniel Ponce De Leon
I don’t think this is a PPV worthy fight either. I’ve seen both of those guys get knocked out and haven’t seen them face really dangerous guys since they’ve been knocked out.
The Alvarez-Kirkland fight is a good start for Alvarez, but I’d like to see him facing better quality fighters in the future before I see him as a PPV fighter. The Kirkland fight will be an easy one because Kirkland has mediocre defensive skills and he was just exposed by Molina. You can make an argument that Molina deserves the Alvarez fight more than Kirkland, and I definitely wouldn’t want to pay to see Alvarez vs. Molina either.
Latest Boxing News
- “Gervonta Davis can put you to sleep with either hand,” Floyd Mayweather
- “We Gotta Clean This Sport Of Boxing Up,” Says Floyd Mayweather – “It’s Too Many Belts”
- The Erik Morales – McCullough War: A Fight Wayne McCullough Says He’d Have Won Had It Been 15 Rounds
- Carlos Cuadras battles Juan Francisco Estrada this Friday night
- Carlos Takam Enters The Tyson Fury Picture
- Teofimo Lopez Not Buying Vasyl Lomachenko’s Shoulder Injury “Excuse”
- Bob Arum confident Crawford vs. Brook will be shown in UK on Nov.14
- Is It Too Late For Evgeny Romanov To Make It Big In The Heavyweight Division?
- Lomachenko fought Teofimo with injured shoulder, had surgery on Monday
- Leo Santa Cruz ready to prove doubters wrong against Tank Davis
From The Boxing Forums
- So, Lomachenko Took 5 Rounds Off A Prime KO Artist With 1 Good Shoulder. Now That's Impressive!
- Dave Allen vs Christopher Lovejoy
- Can Loma still be great?
- Muhammad Ali vs Alexander Povetkin
- Gervonta Davis vs Teofimo Lopez at 135lbs
- Teofemale Lopez Enters ESPN's P4P Ranking At #5...
- sLomo will flop like Matrix 2 in rematch
- Manny Pacquiao went nearly a decade before winning a decision on American soil
- Juan Francisco Estrada Romero vs. Carlos Roberto Cuadras Quiroa II
- Román Alberto González Luna vs. Israel González
Latest Boxing Results:
- Teofimo Lopez dominates Vasily Lomachenko, Arum furious at judge
- Photos: Lopez Jr. upsets Lomachenko, Edgar Berlanga Goes 15 for 15
- Teofimo Lopez beats Vasily Lomachenko – Boxing Results
- Michael McKinson and Jay Harris both win – Boxing results
- Lewis Ritson defeats Vazquez – Boxing Results
- Robin Krasniqi upsets Bösel, Peter Kadiru defeats Gorst – Boxing Results
- KO Wins In Canada For David Lemieux and Arslanbek Makhmudov
- Liam Williams obliterates Robinson, wants Andrade – Boxing Results
- Maxi Hughes beats Viktor Kotochigov – Boxing Results
- Emanuel Navarrete decisions Ruben Villa to capture WBO 126-lb title – Boxing Results