Kris Carslaw could be set to gatecrash the British title scene if he turns on the style on Saturday night (March 5).
The Paisley light-middleweight makes the first defence of his British Masters championship against Northern Ireland’s Willie Thomson at Scotstoun Sports Campus.
Carslaw will be looking to make it a lucky unbeaten 13 in his first fight since knocking out Birmingham’s Terry Carruthers to claim the title in November.
And manager Tommy Gilmour believes a comprehensive victory over Thompson will propel the 26 year-old closer to a shot at British light-middleweight champ Sam Webb.
Gilmour said: “Kris really rose to the occasion against Carruthers and put on a phenomenal performance to take him out in three rounds.
“I’m looking for the same against Thomson because a big victory could put him right on verge of a British title shot.
“To be honest, I didn’t expect him to be so close to the British title this early in the year, but circumstances might just be playing in his favour.
“One of my other fighters, Prince Arron from Droylsden, is the mandatory contender for the British title and was due to fight champion Sam Webb earlier this month, but had to pull out injured.
“His place was taken by former Commonwealth champion Bradley Pryce, but then Webb got injured and Pryce lost a warm-up against Colin Lynes last week.
“At the moment, we’re not sure exactly when Prince Arron will be fit again, so that could create an opportunity for Kris to get a shot at Webb.
“But he can’t take anything for granted against Thomson on Saturday night and he has to not only win, but do it with a bit of style to prove he’s ready for the step up to someone of Webb’s calibre.”
Undefeated welterweights Jamie McLevy of Scotstoun and Eddie Doyle of Glenboig will both be looking to stretch their winning runs to seven against selected opposition on the undercard of the Chris Gilmour-promoted show.
Former Prizefighter super-bantamweight finalist Paul McElhinney of Newlands and Motherwell’s unbeaten Steven Sharoudi are also in action.
And the bill will be completed by former multi-titled amateur star and ex-world no.6 Robert ‘Rocky’ Wright, who made a successful debut at last month’s St Andrews Sporting Club Burns Night.
Tickets are on sale on and are priced at £40 (reserved seating) and £30 (unreserved seating) and are available on 0141 810 5700 and all the boxers on the bill.
Latest Boxing News
- Showtime And PBC Unveil Loaded Five-Month Boxing Schedule!
- Gervonta Davis vs. Mario Barrio on June 26th on Showtime pay-per-view
- Watch LIVE: Andrade vs Williams Weigh In
- Watch LIVE: Harrison vs Perrella Weigh In
- Watch LIVE: Paul vs Askren Weigh In
- Micky Ward, Along With So Many Of Us, Wishes Arturo Gatti A Happy Birthday
- Breaking: Anthony Joshua – Tyson Fury have agreed to site deal for summer fight
- Vince Phillips: “I Couldn’t Stand Pernell Whitaker!”
- Demetrius Andrade won’t run from Liam Williams
- Freddie Roach: Ben Askren punishing Jake Paul would be a ‘public service’
Next Boxing Events
- Turchi vs Bregeon – DAZN – April 16
- Vazquez vs Hernandez – IFL, ESPN+ – April 16
- Dignum vs Sirotkin – IFL TV, ESPN – April 17
- Andrade vs Williams – SKY, DAZN – April 17
- Harrison vs Perrella – FOX – April 17
- Lemieux vs Landaeta *** Postponed ***
- Jake Paul vs Askren – FITE TV, Triller – April 17
- Franklin vs Shaw – NBC Sports Network – April 22
- Munguia vs Ballard *** Postponed ***
- Hardy vs Camara – UFC Fight Pass – April 23
- Navarrete vs Diaz – ESPN – April 24
- Bentley Vs Cash – BT Sport – April 24
- Conlan vs Baluta Jr – ESPN+ – April 30
- Chisora vs Parker – Sky, DAZN – May 1
- Taylor vs Jonas – DAZN, Sky – May 1
Latest Boxing Results:
- Isaac Lucero Destroys Nestor Garcia in 1st in Tijuana
- Jerwin Ancajas Wins A Tough One Over Jonathan Rodriguez – Boxing Results
- Jaron Ennis Scores Sensational Sixth-round KO Over Lipinets – Boxing Results
- Smith Jr Beats Vlasov To Win WBO 175-Lb Belt
- Benn beats Vargas, calls out Amir Khan!
- Savannah Marshall KOs Lindberg, Shannon Courtenay defeats Bridges
- Joe Smith Jr Edges Vlasov, Efe Ajagba scores one-punch KO over Howard – Boxing Results
- Conor Benn obliterates Samuel Vargas by 1st round TKO – Boxing Results
- Joey Dawejko Scores Quick One-Round KO Over Joe Jones
- Photos: Herring defeats Frampton, Nietes beats Carrillo