By James Slater – A huge upset took place in New South Wales, Australia a short while ago: as 32-year-old Garth Woods, in what was just his 12th pro fight, sensationally KO’d former two-time WBA 168-pound champ Anthony Mundine. Now campaigning as a light-middleweight, 35-year-old Mundine had been looking ahead to some big fights, and was expected to deal with Wood relatively easily. However, a big left hook from fellow Aussie “Woodsy” took “The Man” down and silenced the big crowd. The official time was 58-seconds of the 5th, and Woods is now 10-1-1(6). Mundine falls to 40-4(24). Today’s loss is only the second inside the distance defeat Mundine has suffered as a pro.
Wood, a former participant and winner of the Australian version of “The Contender” TV show, annoyed Mundine in the early going of the fight, with wrestling and holding tactics. Wood was also guilty of hitting Mundine behind the head on occasion. But when he connected on Mundine’s jaw with his left hand, Wood got the job done in style. Mundine was out before he hit the floor and the count given was not needed.
Seconds later, a jubilant Wood celebrated the biggest win of his pro career..
“I am the best kept secret [in boxing], but you’re all aware of it now,” a victorious Wood is quoted as saying by The Sydney Morning Herald. “It was hard to get hold of Anthony – he was aware of my talent. When I saw the chance for the left hook I went for it.”
He sure did, and though the fight had some controversy (the spoiling tactics and blows to the back of the head), the beaten Mundine had nothing but credit for his opponent.
“I got caught but it is about how you bounce back,” Mundine said. “He is tough and all credit to him. We’ve got to go back to the drawing board and go from there. Congratulations to Garth.”
It could well be some tough road back for Mundine at age 35. A rematch is a possibility and maybe if he were to avenge the upset loss, the former super-middleweight champ would look to move on. However, it now looks as though Mundine will never get the mega-fights he was talking about only this week. Even calling out the likes of Manny Pacquiao, such talk seems foolish now.
As for Wood, he is an exciting addition to the world class scene, and it will be interesting to see how much further he can go. Members of the media in Australia are referring to today’s result as one of the biggest upsets in Australian boxing history!
Latest Boxing News
- Mikaela Mayer faces Ewa Brodnicka on Inoue vs. Moloney card on Oct.31
- Murat Gassiev Vs. Kevin Johnson On October 31?
- Dereck Chisora Says He’s “Stronger” Than Joshua, Fury, Whyte, Wilder
- Can Cruiserweight King Mairis Briedis Make It As A Heavyweight?
- Terence Crawford Turns 33 – At 36-0, “Bud” Still In Need Of His Defining Fight
- Kenny Norton: The Fighter Muhammad Ali Was Never Able To Master
- WBSS Champ Mairis Briedis returns to Latvia with the Ali Trophy
- “Irish” Micky Ward: One of boxing’s most beloved ring warriors
- Pablo Valdez keen on ring return, reflects on COVID’s effect on his career
- 40 Years Ago Today: Marvin Hagler’s Brutal Coronation
From The Boxing Forums
- Cruiserweight and Heavyweight thread.
- The Charlo Bros are the real deal
- Jermall Charlo vs Derevyanchenko (how did you score it)
- Lomachenko is getting up there in age
- Terence Crawford versus Josh Taylor at 147
- (BREAKING) Mikey Garcia Confirms Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Next...
- Seeing all the chaos of current HW division today..shows you how good Wlad was
- Most badass moments I've seen in boxing ring
- Tyson Fury would beat Mike Tyson
- Hrgovic or Dubois
Latest Boxing Results:
- And The Nastiest KO Of The Night Award Goes To ….Filip Hrgovic!
- Casimero Retains WBO Bantam Title With Quick Win Over Micah – Boxing Results
- Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario in 8th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario; Jermall Charlo defeats Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo decisions Derevyanchenko – Boxing Results
- Josh Taylor Destroys Khongsong In A Round With Brutal Body Shot -Boxing Results
- Mairis Briedis wins the Ali Trophy After Enthralling Final – Boxing Results
- Photos: Taylor Blows Out Khongsong in 1 Round
- Mario Cazares Stuns Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. – Boxing Results
- Bohachuk Wins In Mexico; Reyes stops Rodriguez – Boxing Results