By James Slater – It’s official and it’s not surprising. The World Boxing Council, upon receiving a request from the Top Rank organisation to recognise the upcoming November 13th bout between Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito as a fight that will contest the sanctioning bodies’ vacant light-middleweight title, voted unanimously to do so.
This move was widely expected, and now, in Texas, at the magnificent Dallas Cowboys stadium, the Filipino legend and the disgraced Mexican will swap blows in an effort to decide who picks up the belt that was vacated by Sergio Martinez of Argentina..
This news, which has been widely reported today, has angered many, and already top writers such as Dan Rafael have condemned the latest actions of the Jose Suliaman-led group. It does seem, as controversial as the November fight was already, that the addition of a well known world title being at stake has only served to add insult to injury. Many, many people feel strongly how the fighter dubbed “Margacheato” is unworthy of any big and highly lucrative fight, let alone one that will give him the opportunity of once again ruling over a weight class.
Not that many experts or fans expect the 32-year-old former welterweight champ to win the catch-weight bout.
Allowed to weigh-in at no higher than 151-pounds, the huge (for such a poundage) Mexican will no doubt be suffering from having boiled down in weight, very possibly not long after the ringing of the first bell. But, hey, many people out there want to see Margarito suffer, and they will tune in/be in attendance for the fight to see Pac-Man smash him all over the place.
It does look as though Pacquiao, who arrived in LA short time ago to a friendly and excited reception, is on his way to wining his eighth world title. Of course, the co-challenger for the vacant belt is doing his best to say all the right things, and convince people he is a dangerous and live foe for the lethal southpaw, but Margarito always has been able to talk well.
Fans, some of them anyway, were recently talking on the forums about how they are planning to boycott the fight. They may feel an even stronger urge to do so now that as big an organisation as the WBC has approved the match-up as a world championship!
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, BoxNation, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results