LAS VEGAS (February 28, 2009) – The World Boxing Association Championship Committee has declared two-time WBA heavyweight champion John “The Quietman” Ruiz (43-8-1, 29 KOs), presently rated No. 3, as the mandatory challenger for the winner of this year’s Ruslan Chagaev-Nicolai Valuev WBA title fight..
ABRAHAM LOPEZ WINS AGAIN IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA UNDEFEATED FEATHERWEIGHT MOVES TO 6-0
(February 28, 2009) Undefeated featherweight Abraham Lopez thrilled the packed house at the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, California, on Friday night with a crunching second round knockout of Manuel Sarabia. With the win, the heavy handed 21 year old improved his record to 6-0-0 with five knockouts.
After a first round of even action, Lopez found a home for his body shots before a left hook, overhand right cross drilled Sarabia into the apron where he was counted out at the 0:57 mark.
“Abraham has been working hard in the gym and he was well prepared to go the full six rounds, but he’s a real closer. When he had Sarabia hurt, he went right for the knockout” said manager Frank Espinoza.
“Sarabia, (16-29-9, 10KO’s), had fought numerous prospects the last few years and had gone the distance with many of them so this is a nice statement for where Abraham is right now.”
The Lopez/Sarabia bout was one of the feature attractions at NEW BLOOD III, presented by Thompson Boxing Promotions.. It also served as Lopez’s first bout under their banner since his recent signing to the Southern California promoter.
Said Espinoza, “Abraham will be back in April, he’s built a real nice base of fans here and we want to keep him busy in 2009.”
The ESPINOZA BOXING CLUB was started in 1991 by Los Angeles area businessman Frank Espinoza.
Espinoza, born and bred in East Los Angeles, was a huge fan of the sport and eventually went on to establish himself as one of the top managers in the world of boxing.
In 2006, Espinoza was awarded the Manager of the Year award from the World Boxing Hall of Fame and inducted into the California Boxing Hall of Fame..
Espinoza’s management style has earned him numerous accolades from several respected print and internet boxing writers. In the September 2008 issue of Ring Magazine, Espinoza was praised for his outstanding handling of the career of junior featherweight world champion and “Pound for Pound” superstar Israel “EL MAGNIFICO” Vazquez.
Along with managing Vazquez also manages a young squad of talented and promising fighters composed of Luis Ramos, Carlos Molina, Abraham Lopez, Ronny Rios, Manny “Suavecito” Roman and Jesus “Pollo” Hernandez.
Among the world champions Espinoza has managed in the past are Martin “Gallito” Castillo, Enrique Sanchez, Isidro “ Chino ” Garcia and “Mighty” Mike Anchondo.
It is the goal of the Espinoza Boxing Club to always fight for our fighter’s best interests and to maximize their potential.
For more information on The Espinoza Boxing Club, please visit their newly remodeled website at www.espinozaboxingclub.com
ROSSY CHALLENGES ARREOLA
Derric Rossy is putting a challenge out to Chris Arreola who is scheduled to fight on April 11 at Mandalay Bay.
Promoter Sal Musumeci said: “what a great fight for the heavyweight division, not to mention the rivalry between a fighter of Mexican decent and a fighter of Puerto Rican decent.Its time to give the fans a heavyweight fight they deserve, Two young heavyweights going to battle toe to toe. Chris Arreola 26-0, 27 years old and Derric Rossy 20-2, 28 years old are sure to revitalize the heavyweight scene.”
Rossy to Arreola, “Chris I have great respect for you as a man and a fighter, Lets do this.”
Latest Boxing News
- Tyson Fury Says He’ll Fight Twice This Year, With Or Without Anthony Joshua
- Adrien Broner vs. Jovanie Santiago averages 288,000 viewers on Showtime
- “Money” Turns 44 – But Is Floyd Relevant No More?
- Yildrim’s trainer: It’s 50-50 if Canelo chooses to exchange
- Oscar Valdez Pulls Off a Masterful Performance
- Emanuel Navarrete vs. Christopher Diaz on April 24th on ESPN
- Anthony Joshua is one of Tyson Fury’s easiest fights,’ says Isaac Lowe
- George Foreman Says Conor McGregor Can Beat Manny Pacquiao
- Josh Warrington Says He’ll Retire If He Can’t Beat Mauricio Lara In Rematch
- On This Day 30 Years Ago: “Mutt” Haugen Beats “Macho” Camacho
Next Boxing Events
- Scardina vs Nunez – DAZN – Feb. 26
- Cacace vs Woodstock – BT Sport – Feb. 27
- Kunkabayev vs Emurlaiev – IFL, ESPN+ – Feb. 27
- Dirrell vs Davis – FOX – Feb. 27
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Martinez vs Arroyo – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
Latest Boxing Results:
- Oscar Valdez Pulls Off a Masterful Performance
- Otto Wallin beats Dominic Breazeale, wants title shot
- Ivan Golub stops Luis Eduardo Florez in six – Boxing Results
- Richard Brewart Jr. Remains Unbeaten With MD Victory – Boxing Results
- Adrien Broner defeats Jovanie Santiago in The Comeback – Boxing Results
- Photos: Crown the Mexican King: Oscar Valdez Dethrones Berchelt!
- Photos: Broner, Wallin & Easter Jr Victorious On SHOWTIME®
- Oscar Valdez KOs Miguel Berchelt in 10th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Avaneysan beats Kelly, closes chapter
- Berchelt – Valdez – live action from Las Vegas