Pavlik vs Hopkins – Steve Cunningham gives his verdict: Philadelphia’s only current boxing world champion, cruiserweight ring king, Steve ‘USS’ Cunningham, took a little time out from preparing for his December 11th, International Boxing Federation title defense against Tomasz ‘Road Warrior’ Adamek and gives his verdict on this weekends big fight between young gun, Kelly Pavlik and fellow Philly star Bernard ‘The Executioner’ Hopkins..
“It’s going to be a good fight. No, a great fight. It’s an interesting match up. You’ve got the legendary Bernard Hopkins. Bernard’s done it all. This guy’s won so many championships over the years. He’s mixed it up with the biggest names in the business, Trinidad, Johnson, De la Hoya, Winky, Tarver, and beat them all. You know, in recent years the only guys to beat him are Jermain Taylor and Joe Calzaghe. You have to go all the way back to ’93 for his previous loss to Roy (Jones Jnr). Now he’s taking on this young guy, Pavlik, who’s been so dominant all his career.
He’s undefeated. He’s good for sure after all he beat Taylor twice and already has two major belts.
As for who’s going to win. This is one of those fights I can’t really pick a clear winner. I think it depends on which Hopkins turns up. Bernard’s a great fighter, highly skilled. He’s got all sorts of tricks. You see all types of Bernard turning up for fights. If the Bernard that fought and beat Tarver turns up then I would say that it’s going to be Hopkins fight. If the laid back Bernard turns up, you know like the one that fought Calzaghe, well I don’t think it will be enough. Don’t get me wrong it was a good fight. I just felt Bernard needed to do more.
Pavlik’s got all the tools, he’s got the combinations, you know, the one, two, three and then the uppercuts. He’s a good fighter. He doesn’t let his opponents get comfortable. he pushes all the time, you have to be prepared for a hard fight when he’s in the ring.
As I said it all depends on which Bernard turns up. I can’t call this fight for certain, so I’m going to stay neutral and just enjoy watching a great fight.”
Kelly Pavlik vs Bernard Hopkins takes place this coming Saturday at the Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City.
The International Boxing Federation World Cruiserweight Championship Title Fight between Champion, Steve ‘USS’ Cunningham and challenger, Tomasz ‘Polish Warrior’ Adamek is co-promoted by Main Events and Don King Productions, will take place at The Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Thursday December 11th 2008.
Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased at The Prudential Center box office or by calling TicketMaster on 201-507-8900.
Ian Napa Poised For European Title Fight
At 5 foot one and 117 pounds, bantamweight Ian Napa is one of the least physically imposing fighters in England, but the 30 year old’s remarkable boxing skills have brought him once again to the brink of the European title when he challenges reigning champion Carmelo “The Belgian Butcher” Ballone tonight at London’s historic York Hall.
Under the guidance of promoter Frank Maloney, Napa has shaken off a string of close and sometimes controversial losses earlier in his career to win the British title and successfully defend the belt on three occasions, losing only to European champion Simone Maludrottu in March of last year.
Maludrottu’s successor Ballone blazed his way to the title leaving a trail of destruction in his wake and the hard punching continental has vowed to extend a five bout knockout streak by crushing Napa’s ambition under a torrent of leather.
It’s a classic boxer vs. slugger showdown that will be played out in front of a packed house of Napa’s devoted followers, who also will see a full undercard of support bouts at the UK’s favorite fight venue.
Up and coming lightweight Henry Castle will look to end the comeback of former British and Commonwealth titlist Graham Earl while world ranked light welter Ajose Olusegun stays busy against hard luck 2006 Commonwealth Games Silver Medallist Michael Frontin.
Two promising prospects will also feature on the bill as welterweight Mark Thompson tangles with Latvian hard man Gatis Skuja and light middleweight Sam Webb steps up to meet veteran Gilbert Eastman.
A handful of hopeful novices round out the bill as heavyweights Tom Dallas, Dave Howe and super flyweight Ashley Sexton all look for their second wins in as many bouts while heavyweight Larry Olubamiwo will make his professional debut.
Also on hand to greet fans will be 2008 Olympic Silver Medallist Darren Sutherland. The 26 year old Irish super middleweight has just signed a three year promotional and managerial contract with Frank Maloney and will make his hotly anticipated professional debut in Dublin this December.
Frank Maloney Promotions presents “Dapa Napa”, Ian Napa vs. Carmelo Ballone for the Bantamweight Championship of Europe, supported by full undercard, at York Hall, London, England on Friday, October 17, 2008.
Tickets are priced at £75 and £35 and are available by logging onto www.frankmaloney.com or by calling the Box Office at 0871 226 1508.
Sky Sports will televise the action live on SS1 starting at 9:30pm.
Latest Boxing News
- Pardon Me: Fritzie Zivic Takes Henry Armstrong’s Welterweight Title
- Joseph Parker Vs. Junior Fa This Saturday at 1:30 a.m. ET, Live on DAZN
- Canelo Makes Pit Stop in Quest for 168-Pound Supremacy
- PPV bound: Teofimo Lopez vs. George Kambosos on Tyson – Holyfield exhibition card
- Bigger Than Buster In Tokyo? Where Would A Yildrim Win Over Canelo Rank In Terms Of Boxing’s Biggest Shocks?
- A Look at Julio Cesar Martinez vs. McWilliams Arroyo
- Parker vs Fa – Parker’s Plan: Beat Fa, Then Fight Chisora, Then The Usyk-Joyce Winner
- Canelo Alvarez – Avni Yildirim – press conference quotes
- Teofimo Lopez – George Kambosos heads to Triller Fight Club!
- Iron Mike’s Last Dance: The Night Tyson Turned Back The Clocks
Next Boxing Events
- Scardina vs Nunez – DAZN – Feb. 26
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Kunkabayev vs Emurlaiev – IFL, ESPN+ – Feb. 27
- Cacace vs Woodstock – Postponed
- Dirrell vs Davis – FOX – Feb. 27
- Martinez vs Arroyo – Postponed
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
Latest Boxing Results:
- Oscar Valdez Pulls Off a Masterful Performance
- Otto Wallin beats Dominic Breazeale, wants title shot
- Ivan Golub stops Luis Eduardo Florez in six – Boxing Results
- Richard Brewart Jr. Remains Unbeaten With MD Victory – Boxing Results
- Adrien Broner defeats Jovanie Santiago in The Comeback – Boxing Results
- Photos: Crown the Mexican King: Oscar Valdez Dethrones Berchelt!
- Photos: Broner, Wallin & Easter Jr Victorious On SHOWTIME®
- Oscar Valdez KOs Miguel Berchelt in 10th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Avaneysan beats Kelly, closes chapter
- Berchelt – Valdez – live action from Las Vegas