Newly crowned International Boxing Federation bantamweight champion Joseph King Kong Agbeko was to have made his first title defense against mandatory challenger William Gonzalez on Saturday in Ponce, Puerto Rico, but the match will not take place due to Gonzalez’s inability to obtain his travel visa..
Agbeko is promoted by Don King Productions and Gonzalez is promoted by Warriors Boxing. Don King Productions and Universal Promotions are promoting Saturday’s boxing card at Auditorio Pachin Vicens.
The event promoters petitioned for and were granted a visa for Gonzalez, a Nicaraguan native, to travel to Puerto Rico and participate in the match; however, Gonzalez’s promoter was responsible to finalize the visa and failed to do so.
Saturday’s “Night of Champions” event will be go on with 10 scheduled bouts including the previously announced main event featuring Juan “El Exterminador” Perez vs. Omar “El Pastor” Soto competing for the interim World Boxing Council strawweight championship.
Majestic Star Casino To Host “Steel Yard Brawl” Weigh-Ins Open To Public
GARY, IN (July 31, 2008) On Friday August 1st, fans are encouraged to head to the Majestic Star Casino and Hotel’s Pavilion for the official weigh-ins to the “Steelyard Brawl.” The “Steelyard Brawl” marks the fifth year One In A Million Inc CEO Octavius James has been helping to put on exciting boxing in the Chicagoland/Northwest Indiana area. Come see and meet your favorite One In A Million fighters as they tip the scales in preparation for their upcoming match ups. The official “Steelyard Brawl” weigh-ins will begin promptly at 6:30 PM.
Said One In A Million CEO Octavius James, “It’s been our goal to continue to bring exciting Las Vegas style boxing to this area. Since the beginning five years ago, we have worked tirelessly to entertain the great boxing fans of this area by putting together some of the most exciting fights out there. This Saturday will be a culmination of all the hard work we have put forth these past five years. We are going to pay our respects to the past of One In A Million and look towards the future.”
In the Main Event, current undefeated NABC Light Welterweight Champion “Merciless” Mary McGee 14-0 (8KOs) defends her title against hard hitting Tonya Gallegos 4-8 (2KOs) from Denver, Colorado. The Gary native knows she must bring her absolute best in order to get past Gallegos and retain her title.
The co-main event features Gary native welterweight Jermaine “Too Sweet” White 16-3 (8KOs) as he looks to make a statement against Reggie Nash 9-19 (2KOs) in front of his adoring hometown fans. Having spent two months in training camp with former welterweight champion Zab Judah, Jermaine is out to prove he is still viable in the welterweight division. He has vowed to give Reggie Nash the bitter taste of defeat on August 2nd.
Heavyweight prospect Michael Parker 5-0 (4KOs) faces the toughest challenge of his career as he tangles with tough Scott Conner 11-4 (8KOs).
One In A Million’s rising young prospects will also be on display during the 7-bout card. Hobart native Ed Ochoa 4-0 (4KOs) will look to stay unbeaten in the welterweight division as he goes one on one with Ralf Franklin.
Evette Collazo 3-0 (2KOs) at only 20 years of age looks to keep her record unblemished when she faces Arkansas native Kerri Hill in a 4 round featherweight match up.
Michigan City’s very own Marcus Thompkins 2-0 is excited to display his blazing hand speed against Derrick Hill.
Middleweight Josh Crouch rounds out what is going to be an exciting night of boxing as he takes on Jarred Lockett. Crouch is the newest addition to the One In A Million middleweight stable and will be looking to begin his career in style before a great crowd at the USS Steelyard.
Doors open at 5:30 with the weigh-ins scheduled for 6:30 at the Majestic Star Casino and Hotel’s Pavilion.
STEELYARD BRAWL TICKETS: $100 VIP Field, $75 Premiere VIP, $50 Diamond Box and 5th YEAR ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL – $15 General Admission, are available from Railcats Baseball box office, by calling (219-882-2255) or (866-438-7372) or on line at www.railcatsbaseball.com
Latest Boxing News
- Holley Mims, The Middleweight Who Might Have Beaten Sugar Ray Robinson
- Eddie Hearn: ‘Conor Benn is the next pay-per-view star’
- Carl Frampton – Hall Of Fame Worthy?
- Imagine Today’s Lightweight Stars Having To Cope With The Ferocity And Savagery Of Edwin Valero
- PBC on FOX Main Events: Where’s The Beef?
- Crawford vs. Spence: Promoters to blame for fight not happening says Amir Khan
- Ryan Garcia to make announcement on Tuesday for July fight
- Adrien Broner tells Showtime ‘Give me a fight in 10-12 weeks’
- Shakur Stevenson Angry about Jamel Herring vs. Oscar Valdez talk, wants his title shot
- Dillian Whyte Calls Out Deontay Wilder, “Come See Me Fraud Clown”
Next Boxing Events
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
- Ennis vs Lipinets – Showtime – April 10
- Smith vs Vlasov – ESPN, BoxNation – April 10
- Machado vs Romero – IFL, ESPN+ – April 16
- Harrison vs Perrella – FOX – April 17
- Lemieux vs Landaeta *** Postponed ***
- Andrade vs Williams – SKY, DAZN – April 17
- Franklin vs Shaw – NBC Sports Network – April 22
- Hardy vs Camara – UFC Fight Pass – April 23
- Navarrete vs Diaz – ESPN – April 24
- Munguia vs Sulecki – DAZN – April 24
- Conlan vs Baluta Jr – ESPN+ – April 30
- Taylor vs Jonas – DAZN, Sky – May 1
- Chisora vs Parker – Sky, DAZN – May 1
- Lara vs LaManna – FOX – May 1
Latest Boxing Results:
- Joey Dawejko Scores Quick One-Round KO Over Joe Jones
- Photos: Herring defeats Frampton, Nietes beats Carrillo
- Jamel Herring Stops Carl Frampton In Sixth Round
- Murodjon Akhmadaliev obliterates Ryosuke Iwasa – Boxing Results
- Still On Top: Jamel Herring Knocks Out Carl Frampton
- Tim Tszyu Scores Impressive 5th Round Stoppage Over Dennis Hogan
- Zach Parker Claims WBO Strap – Boxing Results
- Lennox Clarke Crowned British & Commonwealth King – Boxing Results
- Whyte crushes Povetkin in massacre in Gibraltar – Boxing Results
- Dillian Whyte Gets Revenge, Stops Povetkin In Fourth Round!