30.03.08 – by James Slater: Last night in Chihuahua, Mexico, Omar Chavez, the other son of the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez, won the eighth straight fight of his pro career. Stopping his replacement opponent Antonio Valencia in three rounds, the youngster scored his 7th career stoppage. Two knockdowns in the 3rd round put paid to the challenge of the 24 year old Valencia, also of Mexico, who fell to 12-17(4). The time of the stoppage was 2 minutes and 40 seconds..
The very busy Chavez is beginning to look like quite a puncher. His level of competition has been poor so far, but with no amateur experience to speak of and with the fighter being barely 18 years of age, he shouldn’t be being rushed anyway. Last night’s eventual opponent in Valencia was a better choice than original foe Jose Luis Lopez, who is a 36 year old veteran with a record no better than that of the 24 year old who stepped in when Lopez was (for reason’s unknown) replaced. At least Chavez boxed some one of a similar age to himself. Valencia was coming in off a win, too.
Chavez, who like his light-middleweight brother Julio Junior, is attempting to walk in some incredibly big shoes, is scheduled to box again on April 26th in Queretaro. Omar will fight an opponent as yet to be named, while Junior will box Italy’s Michele Orlando. It will be good to see the two brothers on the same card once more. Then, in May, also in Mexico, on the under-card of the Ulises Solis-Juanito Rubillar IBF light-flyweight world title fight, Omar will again box versus a TBA. Clearly, then, the now 8-0 son of a legend is working at a very fast rate.
As he is slowly but surely stepped up in quality the 5’8″ light-welterweight, who can also easily make the lightweight limit of 135 pounds, will continue to improve. There was a time when his older brother was the sole heir to the Chavez fighting legacy, but that may not be the case soon. Omar, who even at this early stage of his career looks as though he just might be the bigger puncher of the two brothers, is starting to catch up with his sibling.
Whoever he looks upon as the better prospect of the two men, Julio Cesar Chavez must be feeling very proud right now, that’s for sure. Both his sons are carrying on his name in some style.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+ – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results