29.09.06 – By James Slater: Kevin Kelley may yet have something to offer the boxing scene, if his performance last night is anything to go by. In his finest performance in years, coming after a humbling KO loss to Bobby Pacquiao, “The Flushing Flash” out pointed Carlos “El Famoso” Hernandez over ten sprightly rounds in San Antonio, Texas. Okay, Hernandez is a fighter who was in the twilight of his career, too. But he was tipped by most to defeat the thirty-nine year old Kelley. Not only did Kevin prove the experts wrong by winning a decision over the Thirty-five year old, he also decked him during the action.
The knockdown came in the fourth, and from then on in Kelley was pretty much the boss. He put his shots together extremely well for such a veteran – his hand speed is clearly more than above average still. While his stamina also was impressive. It will be extremely interesting, to say the least, what Kevin does now. A return with Pacquiao would be fascinating. I had predicted Kelley to win that one, back before it occurred and was shocked by the way the New Yorker fell apart so quickly after winning the first couple of rounds.
Perhaps an old rib injury did have something to do with it, as Kevin seemed to be indicating seconds after the fight was stopped. Judging by last night’s performance, a fully fit Kevin Kelley may well be able to get revenge over the man from the Philippines. Or maybe a shot at one world title or another will be offered to the likeable and crowd pleasing former featherweight king. Either way, the coming months should be somewhat productive ones for Kelley. Something that didn’t seem likely before his blast from the past type display last night, before which it looked to all the world as though he was a fighter rapidly approaching the stage of being completely shot.
As for Carlos, his future plans seem more clear. Retirement was the word on his lips immediately after suffering defeat to Kelley. After such a long and honourable career, the man who gave El Salvador its first ever world champion was understandably emotional as such talk came up. But retirement looks to be his best option. Then again, I was saying the exact same thing about Kelley straight after his loss to Bobby Pacquiao. It just goes to show, you can never write off a great fighter!
The scores were, 95-94 97-92 and 96-93, all for Kelley. Kelley improved to 59-7-2(39KO’s) while Hernandez fell to 42-7-1(24KO’s)
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, BoxNation, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results