29.04.04 – From top to bottom, last Saturday’s fight card at STAPLES Center headlined by Vitali Klitschko against Corrie Sanders for the WBC heavyweight championship was a knockout of classic proportions. Klitschko proved he is the world’s No. 1 heavyweight by stopping Sanders in the eighth round before 17,320 excited fans at the card presented by K2 Promotions. he event marked just the second time in 45 years that Los Angeles has hosted a heavyweight world championship fight.
“With this victory, Vitali has clearly established himself as the best heavyweight in the world,” said Tom Loeffler, managing director of K2 Promotions. “I would like to thank STAPLES Center and the fans of Los Angeles for their support,” Klitschko said. “It was my dream to win the heavyweight world championship I am proud to be the heavyweight world champion.”
“We were delighted to be able to present the heavyweight championship of the world in our first promotional venture,” said Loeffler. “We could not have had such a successful event without the support of Tim Leiweke and his staff at STAPLES Center.”
Although there was resistance from rival promoters, K2 Promotions proved it is more than capable of staging a successful event by selling more tickets than were sold for last year’s heavyweight title fight between Klitschko and then-undisputed champion Lennox Lewis. Vitali also is endearing himself to HBO viewers by matching the ratings of the highest-rated boxing show this year. Vitali had the top-rated boxing event during the past five years on the cable network with his historic battle with Lewis.
“Last Saturday’s fight again demonstrated that heavyweight boxing produces a lot of action and fan interest,” said Kery Davis, Senior Vice President of Programming at HBO Sports. “With 2.3 million homes and 3.3 million viewers tuning in for the fight on HBO, Klitschko has become a solid rating performer for the network, and we hope to showcase him soon in another compelling match-up.”
“From a commission standpoint, it was an amazingly well-run show with very few problems, and topped with an incredible main event,” said Dean Lohuis, chief inspector of the California State Athletic Commission. “Everything went very well, and we are very pleased.’’
Latest Boxing News
- Mikaela Mayer faces Ewa Brodnicka on Inoue vs. Moloney card on Oct.31
- Murat Gassiev Vs. Kevin Johnson On October 31?
- Dereck Chisora Says He’s “Stronger” Than Joshua, Fury, Whyte, Wilder
- Can Cruiserweight King Mairis Briedis Make It As A Heavyweight?
- Terence Crawford Turns 33 – At 36-0, “Bud” Still In Need Of His Defining Fight
- Kenny Norton: The Fighter Muhammad Ali Was Never Able To Master
- WBSS Champ Mairis Briedis returns to Latvia with the Ali Trophy
- “Irish” Micky Ward: One of boxing’s most beloved ring warriors
- Pablo Valdez keen on ring return, reflects on COVID’s effect on his career
- 40 Years Ago Today: Marvin Hagler’s Brutal Coronation
From The Boxing Forums
- Cruiserweight and Heavyweight thread.
- The Charlo Bros are the real deal
- Jermall Charlo vs Derevyanchenko (how did you score it)
- Lomachenko is getting up there in age
- Terence Crawford versus Josh Taylor at 147
- (BREAKING) Mikey Garcia Confirms Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Next...
- Seeing all the chaos of current HW division today..shows you how good Wlad was
- Most badass moments I've seen in boxing ring
- Tyson Fury would beat Mike Tyson
- Hrgovic or Dubois
Latest Boxing Results:
- And The Nastiest KO Of The Night Award Goes To ….Filip Hrgovic!
- Casimero Retains WBO Bantam Title With Quick Win Over Micah – Boxing Results
- Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario in 8th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario; Jermall Charlo defeats Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo decisions Derevyanchenko – Boxing Results
- Josh Taylor Destroys Khongsong In A Round With Brutal Body Shot -Boxing Results
- Mairis Briedis wins the Ali Trophy After Enthralling Final – Boxing Results
- Photos: Taylor Blows Out Khongsong in 1 Round
- Mario Cazares Stuns Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. – Boxing Results
- Bohachuk Wins In Mexico; Reyes stops Rodriguez – Boxing Results