Molina Working Hard, Preparing for Defense Against Charlo
IBF Junior Middleweight Champion “King” Carlos Molina (22-5-2, 6 KO’s) took a break from training yesterday to hang out with all-time-great “Iron” Mike Tyson in Chicago.
Molina, 30, is deep in preparations for his upcoming fight, his first title
defense against unbeaten, but unproven, Jermall Charlo (17-0, 13 KO’s) on the Showtime PPV undercard of Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo on March 8 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
“We always have a good game plan going in and we’ll have one this time,” said Molina. “We have to train to beat him a number of different ways because you never know what will happen on fight night.”
Molina says he’s not taking 23-year-old Charlo, rated #5 IBF, #5 WBO, #13 WBC, lightly, despite his being unproven against top-flight opposition.
“It’s hard to tell what he’ll bring,” said Molina. “But he’s undefeated, so you have to take him seriously. I’ll be ready for anything.”
Molina is sparring, once again, with undefeated cruiserweight contender Dimar Ortuz, among others.
“Dimar gives me a lot of movement and fights me on the inside and the outside. And he’s very strong, so no matter who I fight on fight night, they’re never as strong as he is.”
- Juan Carlos Payano Wins World Bantamweight Crown
- Abraham vs Smith: ‘That’s What Happens In Germany’
- Sho Nuff: Nelson gets past Blencowe to retain title!
- Artur Beterbiev – clear and present danger for Sergey Kovalev’s light heavyweight dominance
- Abraham retains WBO title with unanimous points decision
- N’Dam defeats Stevens
- Chad Dawson’s Quest for a Third World Title Continues this Saturday against Tommy Karpency
- Stevens vs. N’Dam: Where the rubber meets the road
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Malignaggi, Mayweather/Pacquiao, Thurman/Kahn, & Danny Garcia!
- Cleverly/Bellew rematch live on Sky Sports Box Office