Ads by Yahoo

Social

You are here:


Mayweather: Cotto is a better fighter than Canelo

Floyd Mayweather(Photo credit: Esther Lin/Showtime) Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26 KO’s) has been holding back on his thoughts about his September 14th opponent WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KO’s), but Mayweather has taken the gloves off after the trash talking that started in Los Angeles in their last city of their press tour. Mayweather says he thinks Miguel Cotto is a superior fighter than the 22-year-old Canelo.

Mayweather said to ESPN “I think Miguel Cotto was a stronger fighter, he was a tougher fighter, and I think a better fighter.” Continue reading

How does Price fight coming off of a KO loss?

price73Tonight, David Price (15-1, 13 KO’s) will be making his first appearance since being knocked out in the 2nd round by Tony Thompson last February. While a lot of fans commend the 29-year-old Price for having the guts to look for an immediate rematch with Thompson, there are huge question marks about how Price will look in this fight.

You have to remember that before Price lost to Thompson earlier this year, Price had been rolling over his opponents one after another and he’d been filled with confidence. You could see it before his fights in the way he acted during the press conferences and in the weigh-ins against his overmatched opposition. Continue reading

Susi Kentikian vs. Carina Moreno tonight in Germany

Susi_Kentikian(Photo credit: Sturm Box Promotions) Susi Kentikian (30-2, 16 KO’s) will be attempting to recapture her WBA Female flyweight title tonight against champion Carina Moreno (23-5, 6 KO’s) in a scheduled 10 round bout at the Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. The 25-year-old Kentikian lost her WBA title to Moreno in losing by a close 10 round split decision last year in December in Germany.

For Kentikian is was her second straight defeat at the time after having been beaten by a close 10 round majority decision in May of last year by Mellisa McMorrow. Continue reading

Sturm battles Radosevic tonight in Germany

Felix_Sturm_4(Photo credit: Sturm Box Promotions) Former Super World middleweight champion Felix Sturm (37-3-2, 16 KO’s) fights tonight against unbeaten and completely untested #4 IBF, Predrag Radosevic (27-0, 9 KO’s) in a 12 round bout at Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. With a victory tonight, Sturm, 34, could put himself position to face the winner of the August 17th between IBF middleweight champion Daniel Geale and Darren Barker.

That seems to be the idea that Sturm faces one of those guys in a fight that will likely take place in Sturm’s home country of Germany where he’s fought most of his fights during his 12 year career. Continue reading

Maloney confident David Price will beat Tony Thompson tonight

price566Promoter Frank Maloney thinks his fighter heavyweight David Price (15-1, 13 KO’s) has completely learned his lesson from his 2nd round TKO defeat at the hands of Tony Thompson (37-3, 25 KO’s) from last February, and he’s convinced that Price will beat him tonight to avenge that loss at the Echo Arena in London, UK. Maloney and Price see the loss as the end result of Price out too fast looking for a KO last time, and not fully seeing the danger that Thompson represented in that fight.

Maloney said to the Liverpool Echo “I always believe in my fighters and one bad fight does not make a bad fighter. Tony can talk all he likes and look as good as he likes but I’m 100% confident that David has learned from the last fight.” Continue reading

Dib decisions Oliver

dib2Former IBF featherweight champion Billy Dib (36-2, 21 KO’s) got back on the winning track on Friday night in defeating a ring rusty 33-year-old Mike Oliver (25-4, 8 KO’s) by a 10 round majority decision at the Connecticut Convention Center, in Hartford, Connecticut. The final judges scores were 96-92, 96-92 and 94-94. Dib was docked a point each in rounds 2 and 3 for throwing low blows.

Oliver went on the canvas after the 1st point deduction and it’s unclear whether he was hurt by a body shot, the low blow or if he was merely acting so that he would get the point taken away from Dib. Whatever the case, Dib was docked a point for the shot. Referee Mike Ortega seemed to react a little quick in taking off a point in the first low blow. Continue reading

Floyd may struggle vs. Canelo; Pacquiao can handle Rios

Canelo answering media questions(Photo credit: Esther Lin) Despite the emergence of a Gennady Golovkin, what’s something special about the famous boxing “duo” which we can’t find in other boxers of this generation, so much so that the sport would seem to dim and weaken if they retire?

What is in Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao that keeps the sport “buzzing and oozing” notwithstanding the former’s disdained, manipulated “unbeaten” record and the latter’s recent heart-breaking “defeats”? Continue reading

Ponce De Leon wants Russell Jr. at 130 lbs.

russell43Former two division world champion Daniel Ponce De Leon (44-5, 35 KO’s) wants to face unbeaten #2 WBO, #3 WBA, #5 WBC, #8 IBF, featherweight contender Gary Russell Jr. (22-0, 13 KO’s) next on September 7th, according to The Record. De Leon, 32, was reportedly offered the fight and he definitely wants the fight, but at 130 lbs. [super featherweight], not featherweight.

De Leon said to The Record “I was offered Gary Russell Jr., and I want that fight but at 130. I’m going to fight on September 7…I hope Russell takes the fight, I already accepted it. Golden Boy wants the fight.” Continue reading

Allan Green pulls out of tonight’s fight due to food poisoning

green22Light heavyweight Allan Green (32-4, 22 KO’s) has reportedly pulled out of his scheduled bout against unbeaten Eleider Alvarez (12-0, 8 KO’s) due to a case of food poisoning, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN.

The Green-Alvarez fight was scheduled to be televised on ESPN2 from the Connecticut Convention Center, in Hartford, Connecticut. Green, 33, came in 6 pounds over the contracted 180 lb. weight limit during yesterday’s weigh-in.

Dan Rafael said on his twitter, “6 pounds over his contract limit, Allan Green has now pulled out of tonight’s ESPN FNF main event supposedly because of food poisoning. Continue reading

Lennox predicting victory for David Price over Thompson

price5Lennox Lewis thinks heavyweight David Price (15-1, 13 KO’s) will avenge his loss to Tony Thompson (37-3, 25 KO’s) tomorrow night and do it in style by knocking the 41-year-old American out in the process at the Echo Arena, in Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom.

Price, 6’8”, was taken out by Thompson in two rounds last February in a knockout that halted Price’s progress towards a title shot. Before the fight there had been talk of the 29-year-old Thompson soon getting a world title shot against one of the Kitschko brothers. Continue reading

Chavez Jr. wants Golovkin at 168; thinks he can KO him

chavez675Former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-1, 32 KO’s) says he wants to face WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (27-0, 24 KO’s) at 168 lbs, and he thinks he’s can KO him if the fight gets made, according to The Record. Chavez Jr. might be open to fighting Golovkin at 160, but he prefers 168 so that he’ll be full strength.

Chavez Jr. said to The Record “It could also be at middleweight [in facing Golovkin], but it would be better in between or at 168 because I struggle with the weight and I’m stronger when I go up. I think I can knock him out.” Continue reading