By Vitali Shaposhnikov: I was wondering what the various boxing promoters think and would say about the TMT Promotions recently formed by 50 Cent and Floyd Mayweather Jr. We have seen many promoters and promotional companies come and go, and only know a few to be dominating in driving the sport of boxing. At some point in time, Don King was the biggest kid on the block in that respect, but those times are long gone, with Bob Arum’s Top Rank and Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions being the two of the controlling bodies in boxing.
Recently, in a RingTV article (http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/174137-lems-latest-), Bob Arum talked about TMT and his views on what the company may help achieve.
“I wish [50 Cent] and his company a lot of luck, because he has, in his business career, been able to energize the African American community and to reach out to them. If he does that as he expects to do in boxing, then that will help everybody in boxing,” stated Arum.
I agree, that despite the fact that 50 Cent has absolutely no experience at promoting fighters and dealing with the sport of boxing from a financial standpoint, he is a force and a powerful voice for a large community, thus may be able to effectively bring some fights to fruition.
For Arum this is good news, because Golden Boy and Top Rank do not like or respect each other much, thus have trouble signing some fights that many boxing fans salivate over. At least with TMT, Arum will have someone else to talk to and rake in the cash.
Of course claiming that 50 Cent will get a lot done in boxing is premature, because his role will likely be very limited, as Floyd Mayweather Jr. would be the man with the plan. In essence, it is Floyd Mayweather Jr. that Arum will end up dealing with anyway, even if its 50 Cent who shows up to the dinners and the negotiation table.
“I would think that if (50 Cent) promoted Floyd, then it would make a matchup between Pacquiao and Mayweather that much easier. You would have somebody that is a friend and a mentor that he can rely on and they would protect his interests in any kind of promotion, and I would be on the side of Pacquiao. I think that it would work wonderfully. In other words, I’m not looking to be the only promoter here because that might be very awkward. But certainly in a deal where Mayweather had his own promotional company and Pacquiao his own, being us, I think that it would work splendidly,” concluded Arum.
Again, I am glad to hear such things as Floyd Mayweather Jr, Manny Pacquiao, and work wonderfully, all in one paragraph, but Arum is missing the main piece of the puzzle; Mayweather Jr. will still be the one to make the decision and make demands.
On the other hand who knows, maybe TMT will actually lead the mega-fight between Mayweather Jr. and Pacquiao in the right direction.
Latest Boxing News
- De La Hoya says The World will be shocked by his opponent’s name
- Matchroom wins purse bid for Filip Hrgovic vs. Michael Hunter IBF eliminator
- Mayweather gives update on Logan Paul fight
- Oscar De La Hoya says Jake Paul has a future in boxing
- Teofimo Lopez says Lomachenko “Not mentally ok” since loss
- Oscar De La Hoya in “beast mode” training for comeback on Triller PPV
- Evander Holyfield vs Kevin McBride – Will You Watch It?
- ‘Creed III’ – Can A ‘Rocky’ Film Work Without Rocky?
- Dillian Whyte Lays Into Ruiz Vs. Arreola Fight
- Logan Paul: No one survives Jake’s right hand
Next Boxing Events
- Mrdjenovich vs Hernandez – NBCSN – April 22
- Munguia vs Ballard *** Postponed ***
- Navarrete vs Diaz – ESPN – April 24
- Bentley Vs Cash – BT Sport – April 24
- Conlan vs Baluta Jr – ESPN+ – April 30
- Chisora vs Parker – Sky, DAZN – May 1
- Taylor vs Jonas – DAZN, Sky – May 1
- Lara vs LaManna – FOX – May 1
- Ruiz Jr vs Arreola – FOX PPV – May 1
- Canelo vs Saunders – DAZN, Sky – May 8
- Hardy vs Camara – UFC Fight Pass – May 14
- Nery vs Figueroa – Showtime – May 15
- Ramirez vs Taylor – ESPN – May 22
- Haney vs Linares – DAZN – May 29
- Donaire vs Oubaali – Showtime – May 29
Latest Boxing Results:
- Frank Martin stops Jerry Perez – Boxing Results
- Kendrick Ball, Jr. hits home run vs. Bryan Vera – Boxing Results
- Ruben “Ace” Torres Remains Unbeaten – Boxing Results
- Steve Cunningham Decisions Mir, But De La Hoya’s Commentary Steals The Show!
- Paul destroys Askren, Prograis defeats Redkach & Cunningham Wins – Boxing Results
- Tony Harrison & Bryant Perrella Fight To Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Danny Dignum vs. Andrey Sirotkin ends in draw – Boxing Results
- Demetrius Andrade beats Liam Williams – Boxing Results
- Andrey Fedosov KOs Majidov in 1st Round – Boxing Results
- Andrade vs. Williams – live updates & results