By Vitali Shaposhnikov: I was wondering what the various boxing promoters think and would say about the TMT Promotions recently formed by 50 Cent and Floyd Mayweather Jr. We have seen many promoters and promotional companies come and go, and only know a few to be dominating in driving the sport of boxing. At some point in time, Don King was the biggest kid on the block in that respect, but those times are long gone, with Bob Arum’s Top Rank and Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions being the two of the controlling bodies in boxing.
Recently, in a RingTV article (http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/174137-lems-latest-), Bob Arum talked about TMT and his views on what the company may help achieve.
“I wish [50 Cent] and his company a lot of luck, because he has, in his business career, been able to energize the African American community and to reach out to them. If he does that as he expects to do in boxing, then that will help everybody in boxing,” stated Arum.
I agree, that despite the fact that 50 Cent has absolutely no experience at promoting fighters and dealing with the sport of boxing from a financial standpoint, he is a force and a powerful voice for a large community, thus may be able to effectively bring some fights to fruition.
For Arum this is good news, because Golden Boy and Top Rank do not like or respect each other much, thus have trouble signing some fights that many boxing fans salivate over. At least with TMT, Arum will have someone else to talk to and rake in the cash.
Of course claiming that 50 Cent will get a lot done in boxing is premature, because his role will likely be very limited, as Floyd Mayweather Jr. would be the man with the plan. In essence, it is Floyd Mayweather Jr. that Arum will end up dealing with anyway, even if its 50 Cent who shows up to the dinners and the negotiation table.
“I would think that if (50 Cent) promoted Floyd, then it would make a matchup between Pacquiao and Mayweather that much easier. You would have somebody that is a friend and a mentor that he can rely on and they would protect his interests in any kind of promotion, and I would be on the side of Pacquiao. I think that it would work wonderfully. In other words, I’m not looking to be the only promoter here because that might be very awkward. But certainly in a deal where Mayweather had his own promotional company and Pacquiao his own, being us, I think that it would work splendidly,” concluded Arum.
Again, I am glad to hear such things as Floyd Mayweather Jr, Manny Pacquiao, and work wonderfully, all in one paragraph, but Arum is missing the main piece of the puzzle; Mayweather Jr. will still be the one to make the decision and make demands.
On the other hand who knows, maybe TMT will actually lead the mega-fight between Mayweather Jr. and Pacquiao in the right direction.
Latest Boxing News
- Deontay Wilder Posts Rare Twitter Message, But It’s Nothing To Do With His Own Career
- On This Day 60 Years Ago: Clay Vs. Hunsaker And The Birth Of A Legend
- Watch LIVE: Jaime Munguia vs Tureano Johnson Weigh In Livestream
- The Honeyghan-Vaca Rivalry: An Upset And Then A Complete Annihilation
- Barrios vs Karl, Prograis vs Heraldez, Cruz vs Magdaleno: Press Conference Quotes
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr LIVE on BT Sport Box Office (UK) & FITE TV (USA) on Nov. 28th
- Herring vs Frampton Now A Possibility For Dec.19 In London
- The Brutal Murder Of Trevor Berbick
- Dereck Chisora: I am not going to lose to Oleksandr Usyk
- Eddie Hearn Lays Down Possible Timeframe For Fury Vs. Joshua – Fights I and II
From The Boxing Forums
- Who will likely be heavyweight champions in the next 5 years?
- Any Tank Davis fight at 130 has big upset potential
- Sulaiman has not received a request from Fury for a title sanction.
- THURMAN VS UGAS
- **Julio Cesar Chavez says he'd whoop Lopez and Loma the same night**
- USYK is p4p #1 if he gets passed chrisora
- Would Mike Tyson have been able to take Povetkin's power shots without getting knocked out?
- Lomachenko vs Inoue?
- Official Fight Betting Thread
- Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread
Latest Boxing Results:
- Photos: Lipinets and unbeaten Clayton fight to 12 round majority draw
- Juan Francisco Estrada TKOs Carlos Cuadras – Boxing Results
- Estrada defeats Cuadras; Chocolatito and Martinez both win
- Teofimo Lopez dominates Vasily Lomachenko, Arum furious at judge
- Photos: Lopez Jr. upsets Lomachenko, Edgar Berlanga Goes 15 for 15
- Teofimo Lopez beats Vasily Lomachenko – Boxing Results
- Michael McKinson and Jay Harris both win – Boxing results
- Lewis Ritson defeats Vazquez – Boxing Results
- Robin Krasniqi upsets Bösel, Peter Kadiru defeats Gorst – Boxing Results
- KO Wins In Canada For David Lemieux and Arslanbek Makhmudov