SCOTTSDALE, Arizona (July 24, 2012) – Former world champion Sergei “The White Wolf” Liakhovich (25-5, 16 KOs) has challenged undefeated Polish heavyweight contender Mariusz Wach (27-0, 15 KOs).
Wach’s promoter, Mariusz Kolodziej (Global Boxing), recently announced that Michael Grant wouldn’t be fighting Wach as previously planned, and they are searching for an opponent to fight in September. Liakhovich feels that he is a perfect gatekeeper for Wach, who is rated No. 4 by the World Boxing Council (WBC), to test himself against.
“I took a few months off from boxing and now I’m ready to comeback fresh,” Liakhovich explained. “In my last fight (March 24 loss to Bryant Jennings), I made a critical mistake underestimating my opponent. What drives me in this sport is a real challenge. It gives me that fire that all fighters need; the feeling of danger that pushes a fighter to do better. I admit not having prepared properly for my last fight. I didn’t even want to spend money for the right sparring partners because I thought it was going to be an easy fight. Unfortunately, I paid the price. Now, looking back, I wish I could change that but I can’t. All I can do now is get back in the ring and show everybody what I can really do.
“Wach is saying in the media that he needs an opponent but nobody will fight him. Well, not only am I available, I’m willing to go to Poland and fight him right in his backyard. If he honestly believes he’s ready to take on the Klitschkos, first, let him fight somebody like me who has been world champion in order to prove to the boxing world that he’s deserves a world title fight. Is he a contender or pretender? Let’s find out. I understand that I have a lot to prove, to me and my fans, and I’m ready to do just that. How about you, Marius Wach, are you ready for the toughest fight of your career?”
Wach has beaten good heavyweights such as Tye Fields and Kevin McBride, but he’s never fought, never mind beaten, anybody with Liakhovich’s resume and boxing pedigree. A 1996 Bellarusian Olympian, Liakhovich captured the World Boxing Organization (“WBO”) heavyweight title in 2006 with a unanimous 12-round decision over Lamon Brewster. The “White Wolf” has also defeated Dominick Guinn and Friday Ahunanya, among the more notables. He’s also fought world champions Shannon Briggs and Nicolay Valuev, and leading contender Robert Helenius.
Liakhovich is a promotional free agent who is represented by his manager, Attorney Anthony Cardinale, who guided the career of two-time world heavyweight champion John “The Quietman” Ruiz to 12 world title fights.
“I have asked the promoters for a number of the top heavyweights to consider a bout with Sergei — from (David) Price to (Edmund) Gerber, (Kubrat) Pulev, (Jonathon) Banks, (Seth) Mitchell, (Orlanier) Solis, (Tomasz) Adamak, (Alexander) Ustinov, (Bermane) Stiverne, (Denis) Boytsov, and (Chris) Arreola — and I am still waiting for their calls back,” Cardinale said. “Sergei wants a bout with any one of the currently ranked heavyweights, starting with Wach, but is ready to sign a bout agreement to fight any of them.”
Hot Prospect Joel Diaz Jr. Returns August 18 against Sanchez
July 24, 2012 – On August 18, 2012, rising star and undefeated power punching prospect, Joel Diaz Jr. (10-0, 9 KOs) makes his way back to the ring when he faces Puerto Rican born slugger, Guillermo Sanchez (13-6-1, 5 KOs). The 10-round main event attraction will take place at Ballys Park Place Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, NJ, and is promoted by Pound for Pound Promotions in association with Boxing 360.
“I’m coming hard like I always do,” said Diaz. “This year has been a great experience and I want to thank my promoter, Mario Yagobi and Boxing 360 for keeping me busy. Every time I step in the ring I’m getting better and better. My trainer Able Sanchez and I are working on new things for every fight. We want to be well rounded when I step up to the next level. Sanchez is a good fighter and I’m happy he took this fight, but I’m coming to knock him out.”
Said Boxing 360 promoter Mario Yagobi, “Joel Diaz is a special fighter and brings a crowd pleasing style to the ring. I appreciated that he never turns down a fight and he’s improving as he moves up in competition. I love his desire to be the best and I’m going to keep him busy for the rest of 2012.”
Tickets priced at $75 & $50 and can be purchased at Ballys, by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 736-1420 or online at ticketmaster.com or Pound for Pound Promotions by calling 201-867-2008 and Ask for Kathy.
Ballys Park Place Hotel Casino is located 1900 Pacific Ave., Atlantic City, NJ, 08401. Doors open at 7:00 p.m ET, first fight starts at 7:30 p.m
Latest Boxing News
- Murat Gassiev Vs. Kevin Johnson On October 31?
- Dereck Chisora Says He’s “Stronger” Than Joshua, Fury, Whyte, Wilder
- Can Cruiserweight King Mairis Briedis Make It As A Heavyweight?
- Terence Crawford Turns 33 – At 36-0, “Bud” Still In Need Of His Defining Fight
- Kenny Norton: The Fighter Muhammad Ali Was Never Able To Master
- WBSS Champ Mairis Briedis returns to Latvia with the Ali Trophy
- “Irish” Micky Ward: One of boxing’s most beloved ring warriors
- Pablo Valdez keen on ring return, reflects on COVID’s effect on his career
- 40 Years Ago Today: Marvin Hagler’s Brutal Coronation
- And The Nastiest KO Of The Night Award Goes To ….Filip Hrgovic!
From The Boxing Forums
- Wilder will stop Fury in the third match
- Sweet Pea v Pac at 135- who wins?
- Andre Ward or Roy Jones Jr, who ranks higher at SMW?
- (BREAKING) Mikey Garcia Confirms Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Next...
- Vasiliy Lomachenko Vs. Pernell Whitaker @ Lightweight — Who Wins?!
- Could Inoue be better than Ricardo Lopez?
- The Charlo Bros are the real deal
- Does jermall beat anyone but canelo at 160?
- Anthony Joshua explains the comparison between himself and Tyson Fury
- GGG Or Wilder??
Latest Boxing Results:
- And The Nastiest KO Of The Night Award Goes To ….Filip Hrgovic!
- Casimero Retains WBO Bantam Title With Quick Win Over Micah – Boxing Results
- Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario in 8th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario; Jermall Charlo defeats Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo decisions Derevyanchenko – Boxing Results
- Josh Taylor Destroys Khongsong In A Round With Brutal Body Shot -Boxing Results
- Mairis Briedis wins the Ali Trophy After Enthralling Final – Boxing Results
- Photos: Taylor Blows Out Khongsong in 1 Round
- Mario Cazares Stuns Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. – Boxing Results
- Bohachuk Wins In Mexico; Reyes stops Rodriguez – Boxing Results