By Vitali Shaposhnikov: Sometimes when things seem grim because good opportunities vanish, new ones make a surprise appearance, resolving the situation. For Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez, this may be the case.
When Alvarez was set to fight Paul Williams, The Punisher suffered a devastating injury due to a road accident. This news was overwhelming for the entire boxing community as well as Paul’s family. It also left Alvarez without a credible and worthy opponent. Saul then tried to organize a fight with Miguel Cotto, who seemed like a perfect substitute, with a tremendous name and boxing abilities. Beating Cotto would be a huge deal for Alvarez, as his record, despite being impressive, is lacking top echelon opposition. Cotto refused the fight, instead trying to work out a re-match with Floyd Mayweather Jr., which according to numerous recent reposts, just might end up becoming a reality at the MSG arena in New York. Once again, Alvarez was left without a future foe.
Now, according to recent reports, Marcos Maidana is interested and ready to step inside the ring against Alvarez sometime on September 15, 2012. “The one I’d like to fight is Canelo Alvarez. He’s a bit bigger than me but I think I have the power to KO him,” posted Maidana on his Twitter account. (https://twitter.com/chinomaidana/)
In my opinion, this would be an excellent fight. Maidana’s rock solid chin, willingness to come forward, and his evident KO power might turn out to be very effective against the bigger and taller Alvarez. Just like Cotto, I think Maidana would be an excellent choice and would certainly put up a good fight. Alvarez has definitely improved, but it’s hard to tell just how good he really is. His performance against Shane Mosley cannot be taken into account, as Mosley was unable to display anything of value against Canelo that night.
Victory over Maidana would add a lot to Saul’s record, and shoud undoubtedly give his the right to challenge the cream of the crop. Maybe after that fight, team Alvarez and team Khan can sit down and see if they want to make something happen. Having said that, counting out Maidana could turn out to be a very costly mistake. If anyone has a decent chance of sending Canelo to the canvas, Maidana would be that fighter.
Now that Maidana has made his desire to fight Alvarez public, we will hear from Canelo real soon.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+ – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results