By Marcus Richardson: The International Boxing Federation ordered a 168 pound eliminator bout between Adonis Stevenson and Edwin Rodriguez. However, Rodriguez likely won’t take the fight according to Dan Rafael. Instead of Rodriguez, the 34-year-old Stevenson is going to get someone much further down in the food chain because most of the top 10 contenders are already scheduled with other fights or likely not interested in traveling to Montreal to face Canadian based Stevenson.
Here are the choices for Stevenson to fight:
You can already rule out Oosthuizen, because his promoter Lou Dibella already nixed that idea of him facing Stevenson.
DeGale, a UK fighter, probably won’t be agreeable to fighting Stevenson in Canada on August 11th, so he’s out.
Kelly Pavlik is still on the comeback trail being matched against 2nd tier opposition, and it’s doubtful that his promoter Bob Arum will agree to that fight.
Andre Dirrell probably won’t want to face a slugger like Stevenson because he’s also taking his time with his own comeback.
Librado Andrade is coming off of a knockout loss to Rowland Bryant.
Dyah Davis has a fight this weekend against Sakio Bika, and he could be a possibility to fight Stevenson.
I think the biggest possibility for Stevenson is Glen Johnson, Davis, Don George or Bryant. Stevenson could struggle against all of them because if you exclude Davis, these guys can punch a little. Davis would be a problem for Stevenson because he’s an excellent boxer and he’d be able to avoid Stevenson’s big pot shots. But Johnson, George and Bryant would have a very real chance of knocking Stevenson out. Bryant, a big puncher like Stevenson, would be a very real threat to taking Stevenson out just like Darnell Boone did in 2010. Stevenson got chopped down by a big right hand from Boone in the 2nd round of that fight, I think Bryant has comparable power to Boone.
Latest Boxing News
- “Gervonta Davis can put you to sleep with either hand,” Floyd Mayweather
- “We Gotta Clean This Sport Of Boxing Up,” Says Floyd Mayweather – “It’s Too Many Belts”
- The Erik Morales – McCullough War: A Fight Wayne McCullough Says He’d Have Won Had It Been 15 Rounds
- Carlos Cuadras battles Juan Francisco Estrada this Friday night
- Carlos Takam Enters The Tyson Fury Picture
- Teofimo Lopez Not Buying Vasyl Lomachenko’s Shoulder Injury “Excuse”
- Bob Arum confident Crawford vs. Brook will be shown in UK on Nov.14
- Is It Too Late For Evgeny Romanov To Make It Big In The Heavyweight Division?
- Lomachenko fought Teofimo with injured shoulder, had surgery on Monday
- Leo Santa Cruz ready to prove doubters wrong against Tank Davis
From The Boxing Forums
- Teofemale Lopez Enters ESPN's P4P Ranking At #5...
- 31 days till Whyte Vs Povetkin II
- What Did Santa-Cruz' Dad Say Here?
- Muhammad Ali vs Alexander Povetkin
- I think Loma vs Teo II could play out similar to Fury Vs Wilder II
- Split-T Management's Andreas Katzourakis training with Abel Sanchez
- *** Kirks Championships *** | 2020 Boxing Prediction League
- Is Robeisy the future of boxing ?
- Tyson Fury will put his guard up and walk down Joshua and make him wilt
- Jaron Ennis vs Thomas Dulorme
Latest Boxing Results:
- Teofimo Lopez dominates Vasily Lomachenko, Arum furious at judge
- Photos: Lopez Jr. upsets Lomachenko, Edgar Berlanga Goes 15 for 15
- Teofimo Lopez beats Vasily Lomachenko – Boxing Results
- Michael McKinson and Jay Harris both win – Boxing results
- Lewis Ritson defeats Vazquez – Boxing Results
- Robin Krasniqi upsets Bösel, Peter Kadiru defeats Gorst – Boxing Results
- KO Wins In Canada For David Lemieux and Arslanbek Makhmudov
- Liam Williams obliterates Robinson, wants Andrade – Boxing Results
- Maxi Hughes beats Viktor Kotochigov – Boxing Results
- Emanuel Navarrete decisions Ruben Villa to capture WBO 126-lb title – Boxing Results