Reno, Nevada (April 29, 2011) – Golden Boy Promotions and Don Chargin Productions in association with Let’s Get It On Promotions presented an exciting event tonight from the Reno Events Center in Reno, Nevada. The TeleFutura “Sólo Boxeo Tecate” event was headlined by the USBO Super Middleweight Title fight between New York’s undefeated Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin and Nevada’s Jesse Brinkley. If you missed the live action or televised broadcast, below is a summary of the results:
Peter Quillin TKO 3 Jesse Brinkley
Lonnie Smith UD 6 David Rodela
Jose Elizondo UD 4 Rodrigo Espinoza
Jose Sandoval TKO 4 Andrew Rempp
Trevor McCumby TKO 1 Ritchie Cherry
Don’t miss the “Sólo Boxeo Tecate” action next Friday, May 6 from the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indo, Calif. which is headlined by a 10-round light heavyweight bout featuring La Habra’s three-time world title challenger Librado Andrade (29-3, 22 KO’s) as he returns to the Southern California-area to battle talented Aaron Pryor Jr. (15-3, 11 KO’s) of Cincinnati, Ohio. Andrade’s brother and ultra-exciting contender Enrique Ornelas (30-7, 20 KO’s) will also get a hometown welcome when he squares off with Mexicali’s Hector Hernandez (10-3-2, 4 KO’s) in an eight round light heavyweight bout.
Herrera decisions Favela
Ontario, CA (April 29) – Fight fans were on edge last night as the stellar “New Blood” fight card unveiled itself in a blow-by-blow action packed extravaganza from beginning to end.
The scheduled four round junior welterweight bout showcasing Jhon Ortega and Hector Garza was the perfect opening performance when crowds witnessed the end of the fight as Ortega dropped Garza with a perfect body shot, followed up by a 1-2 combination down the middle. The stoppage occurred at 2:35 of round one. Ortega improves to 4-0-1, 4 KOs while Garza falls to 3-2, 2 KOs. The 2nd bout of the evening featured a six round bantamweight clash between Ontario’s own Jonathan Arellano 8-0-1, 1 KO and tough southpaw Shawn Nichol 5-4, 5 KOs. This fight saw consistent back and forth action between both warriors until Arellano skillfully outworked Nichols and won by unanimous decision when all three judges scored the fight 58-56.
Maintaining the momentum of the opening bouts in crowd-pleasing fashion, Albert “Baby Dynamite” Herrera (7-3-1, 5 KOs) locked horns with Aron “Asesino” Martinez (14-1-1, 3KOs) in an 8 round welterweight war that revealed the true heart and soul of boxing. The heated competition saw a controlling Herrera work artfully around the canvas by keeping Martinez at a distance and utilizing his combinations. However, the strategic Martinez found an opening and took control of the fight by using powerful right hooks toward the end of the fight. The violent exchanges and non-stop action had fans roaring and cheering after every stanza. As the last bell went off Aron Martinez had won the battle by split decision; Judges, Daniel Sandoval and Pat Connolly scored it for Martinez 77-75 and 77-74 leaving judge Vince Delgado scoring it 77-75 for Herrera.
In semi main event, undefeated Abraham Lopez squared off against Aaron Garcia in a scheduled eight round featherweight contest. With more back-and-forth action for fight fans to feast on, the two young prospects showed their hunger and grit to reign supreme by displaying equally matching amounts of energy throughout the entire fight. The bruising battle went to the judges who scored the bout a majority decision victory in favor of Lopez by scores 78-74 and 77-75; one judge had the fight even 76-76.
After the fight the undefeated Lopez said, “I had to press him hard at the end of the fight, my corner told me I was behind and I followed their instructions. This was a great fight and Garcia gave me fits in there but I worked hard for this victory and I learned a lot in the process.”
The main event of the evening featured an eight round junior welterweight contest with Thompson Boxing’s own Mauricio “El Maestro” Herrera (17-1, 7 KOs) facing off veteran warrior Cristian “Filoso” Favela (19-32-7, 10 KOs). Herrera successfully outworked Favela and won by unanimous decision as the judges scored the fight 80-72 twice and 79-73.
“Favela is the type of fighter that can make anybody look bad,” said Herrera, the IBF North American Jr. Welterweight champion, after the fight. “He has a streak of facing close to 20 top prospects and never been knocked out, so I realized he had a good defense and tried to get inside me at the end of each round, but I out boxed him. I needed the rounds and I got a clear victory.”
Of his future plans he said, “I’m ready for the top level, bring on the champions, the prospects or the veterans, it’s my time and I want to fight the best out there.”
Latest Boxing News
- Julio Cesar Martinez injured, pulls out of Saturday’s fight with Mcwilliams Arroyo
- Chuck Wepner: The Great Survivor
- Pardon Me: Fritzie Zivic Takes Henry Armstrong’s Welterweight Title
- Joseph Parker Vs. Junior Fa This Saturday at 1:30 a.m. ET, Live on DAZN
- Canelo Makes Pit Stop in Quest for 168-Pound Supremacy
- PPV bound: Teofimo Lopez vs. George Kambosos on Tyson – Holyfield exhibition card
- Bigger Than Buster In Tokyo? Where Would A Yildrim Win Over Canelo Rank In Terms Of Boxing’s Biggest Shocks?
- A Look at Julio Cesar Martinez vs. McWilliams Arroyo
- Parker vs Fa – Parker’s Plan: Beat Fa, Then Fight Chisora, Then The Usyk-Joyce Winner
- Canelo Alvarez – Avni Yildirim – press conference quotes
Next Boxing Events
- Scardina vs Nunez – DAZN – Feb. 26
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Kunkabayev vs Emurlaiev – IFL, ESPN+ – Feb. 27
- Cacace vs Woodstock – Postponed
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Dirrell vs Davis – FOX – Feb. 27
- Martinez vs Arroyo – Postponed
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
Latest Boxing Results:
- Oscar Valdez Pulls Off a Masterful Performance
- Otto Wallin beats Dominic Breazeale, wants title shot
- Ivan Golub stops Luis Eduardo Florez in six – Boxing Results
- Richard Brewart Jr. Remains Unbeaten With MD Victory – Boxing Results
- Adrien Broner defeats Jovanie Santiago in The Comeback – Boxing Results
- Photos: Crown the Mexican King: Oscar Valdez Dethrones Berchelt!
- Photos: Broner, Wallin & Easter Jr Victorious On SHOWTIME®
- Oscar Valdez KOs Miguel Berchelt in 10th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Avaneysan beats Kelly, closes chapter
- Berchelt – Valdez – live action from Las Vegas