Cincinnati, OH – 3/30/2011 – Since stepping back into the boxing ring in 2008, Ricardo Williams has gone undefeated in his last seven fights. He has been training with Shane Mosley’s camp, improving his conditioning. Recently he expressed the same drive as he did when he first returned to boxing in 2008.
“I’m hungry now. I am thankful to have a second chance and I won’t take it for granted. I have been training with Shane Mosley and I feel good. My conditioning is finally going to match my talent. I don’t want to call out names, just know that I am ready to fight. A lot of people already wrote me off, but my eye is on a title, and I will be a problem. Not many people get second chances, I will not mess up mine. I am ready to fight whoever I am in the ring with”
Ricardo has good knock out power and a ton of raw talent. The possibilities that are ahead of him are still unknown, but it looks bright. With his current dedication and team, Ricardo Williams is definitely someone to look out for.
Graham Earl’s Belfast Show Postponed
Former WBU Lightweight World Champion, turned promoter, Graham Earl announced earlier today that this Saturday’s ‘Fists of Fury’ event, at the King’s Hall in Belfast, has been postponed.
The event, which was to be headlined by current WBU Lightweight World Champion Willie Limond versus Jay Morris, was intended to showcase many of the Belfast boxers Graham recently signed.
On making the announcement Graham said, “I’m really disappointed that we have had to postpone Fists of Fury, it had all the makings of being a really fantastic show.
It’s been one of those weeks, various circumstances conspired to put the show at risk early in the week, but when we started to get fighter injuries as well we couldn’t see any other option, but to postpone the show.
We’re disappointed for the fans, who had been showing their support and getting behind the local fighters. We’re disappointed for all the fighters that were going to take part, especially the lads that were going to be debuting.
We’re hoping to reschedule the show for later in the year, unfortunately it can’t be for a few months as we already have shows scheduled for the coming months.”
It is expected that Graham Earl will be announcing a revised date for Belfast in the near future. In the meantime Graham Earl Promotions next show will be at York Hall in London on Saturday 7th May 2011.
Lamonakis added to Berto vs. Ortiz card on 4/16
NEW YORK, NY (Mar. 30, 2011) – Popular female heavyweight Sonya “The Scholar” Lamonakis has been added to the April 16 “East-West Showdown” card, featuring World Boxing Council (“WBC”) Welterweight World Champion and undefeated star Andre Berto against WBC # 5 rated challenger “Vicious” Victor Ortiz, at the MGM Grand Theater at Foxwoods in Mashantucket, Connecticut.
“East-West Showdown: Berto vs. Ortiz” is presented by DiBella Entertainment, in association with Golden Boy Promotions. The bout will be televised live on HBO’s World Championship Boxing starting at 9:45 PM/ET 6:45 PM/PT. The broadcast kicks off with Amir “King” Khan (24-1, 17 KOs) defending his WBA Super Lightweight World Title against Paul “Dudley” McCloskey (22-0, 12 KOs) from the M.E.N. Arena in Manchester, England.
Lamonakis (4-0, 1 KO), a native of Greece, is a sixth-grade teacher at Harlem’s Family Academy who trains at the famed Gleason’s Gym in New York City. A four-time New York Golden Gloves champion, Sonya was a field hockey and softball player at Springfield College in Massachusetts. She has been a professional boxer since last June and, in her most recent fight, March 12 on the Sergio Martinez-Sergiy Dzinziruk card, also at MGM Grand Theater at Foxwoods, she won an entertaining six-round unanimous decision against previously unbeaten Tanzee Daniel. Lamonakis will be matched in another six-round bout against an opponent to be determined.
“Sonya is an all-action fighter who attracts a lot of fans,” promoter Lou DiBella said. “She has done very well and we’re happy to get her right back in action. Fight fans love watching her fight. ‘The Scholar’ is one of the most exciting female fighters out there today.”
Lamonakis will take on an opponent to be announced.
Tickets are priced at $350, $200, $125, and $65 and went on sale today through the MGM Grand at Foxwoods box office. Tickets can be purchased online at www.mgmatfoxwoods.com, by calling the MGM Grand at Foxwoods at 1-866-646-0609, or in person at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods box office.
For information about DiBella Entertainment, including a list of all upcoming bouts, please visit www.dbe1.com, or follow Lou DiBella on twitter, @loudibella.
Follow HBO Boxing news at www.hbo.com/boxing and on twitter @hboboxing.