By James Slater: Former WBO light-welterweight champion Kendall Holt, still only 29-years-old, made an exciting return to winning ways on last night’s Bradley-Alexander under-card. “Rated R” landed a peach of a left hook to the jaw of journeyman Lenin Arroyo, sending the over-matched fighter down on his back hard in the very first round. The fight was over without the need of a full count.
Now 26-4(14), the Paterson, New Jersey fighter hopes to get back in the thick of things at 140-pounds – currently one of the hottest weight divisions in all of boxing. Still fast, still fresh and seemingly still full of desire, there could be some good fights out there for Holt. He sure looked better last night compared to when we saw him get out-muscled and out-fought by the physically strong Kaizer Mabuza almost a full year ago ( Mabuza is next, of course, for Zab Judah, with the vacant IBF belt at stake).
One name that springs to mind as a potential target for Holt, is reigning WBA 140-pound champ Amir Khan. Khan is still searching for an opponent for his April 16th defence in Manchester, U.K and last night, as a studio guest on Sky Sports, Khan said he’d be interested in a fight with Holt. Would Kendall be willing to fight as big a fight as this as soon as April, or will he want to get some more rust off first?
Holt did acknowledge post-fight yesterday that “it’s still a long road back to getting that world championship belt back.”
The belt Holt held (from July of 2008 to April 2009, when he lost it via decision to Bradley), is the WBO belt; maybe the long term goal for him is to get a return with Bradley. Both that rematch and a Holt challenge of Khan would be interesting fights, as would a Holt clash with Zab Judah; if Zab can win the IBF belt in March. Or how about a Holt-Mabuza II if the South African can best Judah when they meet in New Jersey?
The one fight many fans really wanted to see won’t ever be happening now unfortunately. Holt twice went to war with Colombia’s Ricardo Torres and they each won one fight, in controversial circumstances. A deciding rubber-match would have been great, but Torres decided to retire and that’s that.
There are still plenty of potentially exciting fights out there for Holt, however, and it was good to see him back with a bang last night.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, BoxNation, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results