(December 10, 2010 – Antwerp, Belgium) Randall “The Knockout King” Bailey dropped Said Ouali twice before Ouali took a spill over the ropes, forcing a controversial no contest in their International Boxing Federation (IBF) elimination bout on Friday night in Antwerp.
The first round was déjà vu for Belgian fight fans, who in March witnessed Bailey knockout local favorite Jackson Bonsu in one round, when Bailey connected with his patented straight right in the bout’s opening moments. However, referee Rumerio Ruggieri claimed Bailey did not immediately make his way to the neutral corner, adding several additional seconds to the count.
“When I hit someone, I know where the neutral corner is. That’s my job,” said a distraught Bailey from his locker room Belgium. “[The count] was at least 15 seconds.”
Ouali survived the round, but it was more of the same in round two. Bailey dropped Ouali for the second time in as many rounds on another picture perfect straight right..
“When I threw that right, I knew it was going to land,” said Bailey. “Next thing I knew, he was looking at the sky. “
What happened after Ouali got up is what ultimately ended up halting the fight.
According to ringside reports, Ouali lunged himself at Bailey, causing both men to fall to the canvas, with Ouali on top of Bailey. Bailey arose with Ouali on his back, and immediately attempted to help Ouali back onto his feet. After getting back on the ground, Ouali reached for the ropes to brace himself, but lost balance and fell over.
Contrary to some reports coming out of Belgium, Bailey did not toss Ouali over the ropes. “I didn’t even know how he got to the other side of the ropes after I put him down,” said Bailey.
Ouali got the standard five minutes to recover and carry on with the fight, but ringside physicians deemed that he could not. The bout was ruled a no contest.
“We are working to get this injustice resolved,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment, Bailey’s promoter. “We have already had conversations with the IBF about what will be done. The fact is, Ouali tasted Randall Bailey’s power and was on the verge of being another knockout victim at the hands of the most powerful fists in boxing.”
“I’m very disappointed,” said Bailey. “I trained so hard because I knew how important this was for me. In the end, I did what I had to do.”
Latest Boxing News
- Mikaela Mayer faces Ewa Brodnicka on Inoue vs. Moloney card on Oct.31
- Murat Gassiev Vs. Kevin Johnson On October 31?
- Dereck Chisora Says He’s “Stronger” Than Joshua, Fury, Whyte, Wilder
- Can Cruiserweight King Mairis Briedis Make It As A Heavyweight?
- Terence Crawford Turns 33 – At 36-0, “Bud” Still In Need Of His Defining Fight
- Kenny Norton: The Fighter Muhammad Ali Was Never Able To Master
- WBSS Champ Mairis Briedis returns to Latvia with the Ali Trophy
- “Irish” Micky Ward: One of boxing’s most beloved ring warriors
- Pablo Valdez keen on ring return, reflects on COVID’s effect on his career
- 40 Years Ago Today: Marvin Hagler’s Brutal Coronation
From The Boxing Forums
- Terence Crawford versus Josh Taylor at 147
- The Charlo Bros are the real deal
- John Riel Casimero calls out Naoya Inoue “You’re no monster!”
- *** Kirks Championships *** | 2020 Boxing Prediction League
- How high out of 10 should a fighter with this record be rated?
- Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán vs. Sergey Vyacheslavovich Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo vs Derevyanchenko (how did you score it)
- (BREAKING) Mikey Garcia Confirms Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Next...
- Cruiserweight and Heavyweight thread.
- Lomachenko is getting up there in age
Latest Boxing Results:
- And The Nastiest KO Of The Night Award Goes To ….Filip Hrgovic!
- Casimero Retains WBO Bantam Title With Quick Win Over Micah – Boxing Results
- Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario in 8th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario; Jermall Charlo defeats Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo decisions Derevyanchenko – Boxing Results
- Josh Taylor Destroys Khongsong In A Round With Brutal Body Shot -Boxing Results
- Mairis Briedis wins the Ali Trophy After Enthralling Final – Boxing Results
- Photos: Taylor Blows Out Khongsong in 1 Round
- Mario Cazares Stuns Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. – Boxing Results
- Bohachuk Wins In Mexico; Reyes stops Rodriguez – Boxing Results