HOBOKEN, N.J. (August 31, 2009) – WBO light flyweight champion Ivan “Iron Boy” Calderon (32-0-1, 6 KOs), also The Ring magazine’s titlist, defends both belts September 12 against No. 1 contender Rodel “Kid Rapido” Mayol (25-3-1, 19 KOs) in the 12-round main event headlining the “Undefeated Champions” pay per view event, airing live in the United States from the Coliseum of Puerto Rico in San Juan. WBO super featherweight title-holder Roman “Rocky” Martinez (22-0-1, 13 KOs) makes his first title defense in the 12-round co-feature WBO No. 9 rated Vincente Martin “El Mono” Rodriguez (25-2-1, 13 KOs.).
“Undefeated Champions” is being distributed in the United States by Integrated Sports for live viewing at 9 PM/ET – 6 PM/PT on cable and satellite pay-per-view via iN Demand and DirecTV for a suggested retail price of only $29.95.
Calderon-Mayol is a rematch of a brawl this past June held in Madison Square Garden that ended in a six-round technical draw because Ivan was unable to continue due to a cut from an accidental head butt he suffered in the fourth round.
“The fight at the time of the stoppage was very tight,” Calderon said from training camp in Puerto Rico. “I started very slow but, between rounds, I was getting my rhythm. The fight was my first in Madison Square Garden and I felt pressure to look good and put on a good performance. Mayol has fast hands. He came to box, not to try for a knockout like everybody else. He’s one of the best fighters in the world right now in the 108-pound division.
“Fans can always expect from me to hit and not be hit. I am the best pure boxer in the business and I need to do that to win this fight. I want to unify my title with the other champions – Edgar Sosa (WBC), Brian Viloria (IBF) and Giovanni Segura (WBA) – and then try and move up to 112 pounds to become world champion in three divisions and retire undefeated. I want everybody to remember me as the best pure fighter in the world and a champion who helps his people.”
The “Unbeaten Champions” PPV card, presented by PR Best Boxing Promotions, Inc., also include a 10-round super flyweight bout between Juan “Panterita” Mercedes (23-2, 16 KOs) and Jesus “Changa” Martinez (18-6, 11 KOs), as well as unbeaten cruiserweight prospect Carlos Negron (3-0, 3 KOs), 2008 Puerto Rican Olympian, against Larry Carter (3-4-1, 3 KOs).
For more information about the “Undefeated Champions” PPV show, go on line to www.integratedsportsnet.com.
TKO BOXING PROMOTIONS SIGNS DAT “BE DAT” NGUYEN
LAS VEGAS, NV (August 31, 2009) TKO BOXING Promotions has signed all action featherweight Vietnamese prospect Dat “BE DAT” Nguyen, it was announced today by its President, Chet Koerner.
The 26 year old Nguyen, a native of Bien Hoa , Vietnam , now living in Vero Beach , Florida , has amassed a record of 16-1-0 (6KO’s) since turning professional five years ago. He is trained by former world champion Buddy McGirt, managed by Jack Luce and co-promoted by Richie Cappiello.
On Saturday, August 22nd, Nguyen thrilled the packed house at the Pala Casino Spa and Resort in Southern California with an electrifying six round decision over Noe Lopez Jr.
Said Koerner, “The fans absolutely love his style of fighting, from the opening bell they were on their feet cheering him on. We had the same response from the fans at our show in Houston in May. Our plan is to keep him very active and showcase him in fights all over the country.”
“We’ve had large contingents of Vietnamese fans in Houston and at Pala and they were thrilled to see Dat fight. He’s truly become a fan favorite wherever he fights.”
Said Tuan Tran of TKO BOXING Promotions, “Dat and I have been talking about working together for years and thanks to Chet and Chris Middendorf it is now a reality. It’s only a matter of time before Vietnam will get its first world champion.”
“TKO BOXING welcomes Dat and I believe we now have the best featherweight prospects in the game with Dat, Carney Bowman and Matt Remillard.”
In both Houston and at the Pala Casino, Nguyen was led to the ring by the “Mua Lan”, a traditional Vietnamese lion dance designed to exorcise evil spirits.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+ – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results