by James Slater: Jorge Paez, the former IBF featherweight and super-featherweight world champion, looks set to return to the ring after an absence of almost five years. According to Box-Rec.com, the 42 year old will engage in a contest Vs. an opponent TBA on June the 28th, in Sonora, Mexico. Joining “El Maromero” on the card will be his son, Jorge Paez Junior – who also fights an as yet named opponent..
It seems like just about every former big name fighter is launching a comeback these days, what with Jeff Fenech, Tommy Morrison, Saul Mamby and others climbing back into the boxing ring just lately. Now Paez appears set to join the list. The 79-14-5(51) who fought memorable bouts with the likes of Calvin Grove, Troy Dorsey, Steve Cruz and Tony Lopez during his prime years, last boxed in December of 2003 when he out pointed Pennsylvania’s Scott McCracken over ten rounds at light-welterweight. In fact, Paez was on a winning streak of nine in a row, when he decided to call it quits on his career after the win over McCracken. Therefore it’s not as though the colourful Mexican was getting beaten up towards the end. But these late career wins did come against somewhat limited opposition, even though they proved Paez could still fight at a certain level.
Now, perhaps inspired by the relative success his son has been enjoying, the 42 year old is giving it one more go. It’s not clear who he will fight yet, or at what weight. Nor is it known how many fights the former world champion will engage in. And as to what kind of physical shape Paez is in, who knows?
In his day, “El Maromero” was a very exciting and watch able fighter. Famous for his ring antics, which included doing back flips, taunting his opponent and even blowing kisses to the ring card girls, Paez was a natural showman. It would be a pity then, to see him attempt to fight when nothing but a shop-worn shell of the fireball he once was. Though it’s too early to pass judgement on his return to boxing – after all, we may be surprised at just how capable the veteran is when he climbs through the ropes for the first time in such a long time – the overwhelming feeling most fans will probably get is that Paez senior should leave the fighting to his son nowadays.
The return of yet another former great (or thereabouts, at least) looks to be upon us soon.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+ – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results