27.02.06 – Dynamite-punching Welshman Enzo Maccarinelli plans to take it out on Mark Hobson when the Yorkshireman steps in to replace Johnny Nelson on the big M.E.N card at the weekend. Maccarinelli will now defend his WBU World Cruiserweight title against Hobson on Saturday night following the withdrawal of WBO king Nelson due to a knee injury suffered in training..
” When I got the news about Nelson I was just about to begin sparring, so the guys I was working with that day got a bit of pasting,” said Maccarinelli.
“I was gutted when I heard about Johnny, but as soon as I heard Hobson was in, I was up for the fight.
“I’ve been in this game long enough to get used to things changing in the build up to fights, and getting another one of my British rivals was great news. Now I get to bash him up instead.
“My preparation has gone really well and I’m fitter and stronger than ever before, so I can’t wait to fight in front of a massive crowd and live on ITV.”
Current British and Commonwealth Cruiserweight champion Hobson, 29, has an impressive record, and his team have boasted that he’ll have too much for 25-year-old Maccarinelli.
But Enzo shrugged off those suggestions.
” His trainer (Chris Aston) has been boasting on a couple of websites about how Hobson is going to win,” said Maccarinelli.
“But he won’t be in the ring with his man on Saturday – and he’ll wish he stayed at home with his keyboard.
“Hobson himself always talks about how he beat Lee Swaby, who I lost to, and Bruce Scott, who I got off the floor to beat.
“What he forgets is that I was 19 when I fought Swaby and was handling him easily until I got stupidly got caught. Hobson was given all he could handle by Swaby and then some more.
“And the Bruce Scott he fought was badly out of shape and even then he couldn’t knock him out like I did.”
Meanwhile British featherweight champion Andy Morris has been ruled out of a title defence against Rendall Munroe on the Manchester card because of a hand injury and cut he picked up in sparring.
Maccarinelli-Hobson will be chief support to Joe Calzaghe’s WBO/IBF match up with Jeff Lacy, which begins at 2am in the UK, 9pm Eastern time in the USA and will be shown live on ITV1 and Showtime.
ITV1 viewers can watch all the action from the M.E.N Arena from 11.10pm until 3.10am, with a re-run of the fight shown again on Sunday morning from 11.25am until 12.55pm.
Latest Boxing News
- Eddie Hearn: Saunders could beat Canelo Alvarez
- Julio Cesar Martinez injured, pulls out of Saturday’s fight with Mcwilliams Arroyo
- Chuck Wepner: The Great Survivor
- Pardon Me: Fritzie Zivic Takes Henry Armstrong’s Welterweight Title
- Joseph Parker Vs. Junior Fa This Saturday at 1:30 a.m. ET, Live on DAZN
- Canelo Makes Pit Stop in Quest for 168-Pound Supremacy
- PPV bound: Teofimo Lopez vs. George Kambosos on Tyson – Holyfield exhibition card
- Bigger Than Buster In Tokyo? Where Would A Yildrim Win Over Canelo Rank In Terms Of Boxing’s Biggest Shocks?
- A Look at Julio Cesar Martinez vs. McWilliams Arroyo
- Parker vs Fa – Parker’s Plan: Beat Fa, Then Fight Chisora, Then The Usyk-Joyce Winner
Next Boxing Events
- Scardina vs Nunez – DAZN – Feb. 26
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Kunkabayev vs Emurlaiev – IFL, ESPN+ – Feb. 27
- Cacace vs Woodstock – Postponed
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Dirrell vs Davis – FOX – Feb. 27
- Martinez vs Arroyo – Postponed
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
Latest Boxing Results:
- Oscar Valdez Pulls Off a Masterful Performance
- Otto Wallin beats Dominic Breazeale, wants title shot
- Ivan Golub stops Luis Eduardo Florez in six – Boxing Results
- Richard Brewart Jr. Remains Unbeaten With MD Victory – Boxing Results
- Adrien Broner defeats Jovanie Santiago in The Comeback – Boxing Results
- Photos: Crown the Mexican King: Oscar Valdez Dethrones Berchelt!
- Photos: Broner, Wallin & Easter Jr Victorious On SHOWTIME®
- Oscar Valdez KOs Miguel Berchelt in 10th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Avaneysan beats Kelly, closes chapter
- Berchelt – Valdez – live action from Las Vegas