In breaking news from Dan Rafael of ESPN.com it seems the WBC heavyweight title fight between champ Deontay Wilder and challenger Alexander Povetkin could be called off as Povetkin has reportedly tested positive for Meldonium.
“Status of the #WilderPovetkin fight is unclear at the moment after Povetkin’s test,” Rafael Tweeted earlier today.
Rafael later wrote:
“two sources with knowledge of test have told ESPN that Povetkin tested positive for meldonium.”
What makes this already confusing situation even more so is the fact that Povetkin is said to have taken meldonium BEFORE it was declared an illegal substance by The World Anti-Doping Authority (WADA). Apparently, Povetkin stopped using the substance in September of last year, four months before meldonium was banned by WADA.
Two sources with knowledge of test have told ESPN that Povetkin tested positive for meldonium with title fight vs Wilder a week away.
“On one hand the substance has been found, on the other the concentration of said substance shows that, it was used in 2015, before it was banned. So no decision at the moment. We are in talks with the WBC, and they will decide of the fight will go on as planned. At the moment the fight is not cancelled,” said the head of the Russian Boxing promotional company Mir Boxa.
The fight, as excited fans know is set for May 21 in Moscow, Russia, just a week from tomorrow. If I had to take a guess, I’d say the fight goes ahead – after all, Povetkin did nothing illegal when he took a substance that was legal when he last took it – but who knows for sure?
It will be a real shame if the intriguing and potentially thrilling fight is called off. Even more so with the recent news regarding WBA heavyweight champ Lucas Browne being stripped of his title and banned for six months due to his failing a drugs test.
Stay tuned is all we can say at this point in time.