WBA World super middleweight champion Tyson Zeuge (21-0-1, 11 KOs) won a 12 round unanimous decision tonight over #5 WBA Paul Smith (38-7, 22 KOs) at the Rittal Arena in Wetzlar, Hessen, Germany. Smith gave it his best shot, but he lacked the technical skills overcome the 25-year-old Zeuge, who controlled the fight throughout with his jab. Smith didn’t start attacking until the last 3 rounds when things were looking bleak for him. By that point, Smith needed a knockout, but it wasn’t going to happen.
British-based-boxers Patrick Mendy (17-12-2, 1 KO) and Jone Volau (4-1, 1 KO) join Paul Smith, who challenges Tyron Zeuge for the WBA World title, in action on Saturday at the Rittal Arena in Wetzlar with all three Brits attempting to upset German opposition.
Juergen Braehmer says Paul Smith (38-6, 22 KOs) is not on the same level as Tyron Zeuge (20-0-1, 11 KOs) and is confident his protégé will defend the WBA World Super Middleweight title on Saturday, June 17 at the Rittal Arena in Wetzlar, Germany.
Braehmer, who guided Zeuge to his World title win over Giovanni De Carolis on November 5 at the MBS Arena in Potsdam, believes we have yet to see the best of the Berlin boxer, and expects him to show his class against his British challenger Smith.
Gallagher: Smith can emulate Groves’ feel good story
Joe Gallagher says Paul Smith (38-6, 22 KOs) can emulate George Groves’ feel good story by claiming a World title on his third attempt when he challenges Tyron Zeuge (20-0-1, 11 KOs) for the WBA World Super Middleweight strap on Saturday, June 15 at the Rittal Arena in Wetzlar, Germany.
Tony Bellew (27-2-1, 17 KOs) picked up the WBC cruiserweight title tonight with an easier than expected 3rd round knockout win over Ilunga Makabu (19-2, 18 KOs) at Goodison Park in Liverpool, England. Bellew went in the underdog but he showed that the oddsmakers had been wrong in installing the 28-year-old Makabu the favorite.
Bellew took Makabu out in the third round with some hard shots to the head after backing him up against the ropes. Makabu went down hard and was unable to continue.
Paul Smith Jr, last seen getting beaten and bloodied against Andre Ward in June, has insisted that he isn’t ready to call it a day just yet.
Smith, who has now recovered from an elbow surgery that he underwent following the catch weight loss to the Oakland fighter, moved to (35-6) with the defeat, and has blamed poor preparation for both his performance on the night as well as coming in overweight on the scales – an offence for which he was fined a considerable sum, only for Ward to return that portion of his purse as a goodwill gesture.
Three weeks ago fans witnessed Britain’s Paul Smith getting bloodied and soundly beaten by the returning Andre Ward in California, turning in a valiant effort despite being thoroughly outclassed by one of the world’s best fighters from the opening bell in their catch-weight contest.
It was Smith’s 3rd loss in as many fights, and 6th overall, following back-to-back world title challenges to Germany’s Arthur Abraham, fights that saw Smith come up short on points both times.
He was heavily criticized for over-shooting the 172 lb catch-weight limit against Andre Ward last weekend by 4.4 lbs in a fight that from before the first bell, there was only ever one winner – and come the 9th round a bloodied and battered Smith was mercifully halted in what, according to trainer Joe Gallagher, should be the last fight of Paul Smith’s long career.
He said in the Liverpool Echo;
“I’ve told Paul to probably consider retiring now.”
By W. White: Last Saturday night, as I observed Super Middleweight champion Andre Ward (28-0, 14KO’s) disassemble Britton Paul Smith (35-6, 20 KO’s) from press row, I had questions. What was the purpose them fighting at a 172lb catch weight? Did Paul Smith purposely coming overweight to give him some sort of advantage? Is this a fight the general boxing public really wanted to see? How would Andre Ward perform given his 19 month absence from the ring? Who could possibly be next after this fight? As the fight progressed and I observed Ward tactfully picking his spots with his jab and sneaking in straight rights through Smith’s guard, I realized it was only a matter of time.
Ward kept Smith in the middle of the ring circling, probing, and striking routinely as Smith surprisingly continued to move forward. By the middle rounds, Smith’s face was flush and beginning to swell. It would seem as if this was just an over-hyped sparring match for Ward to continue to pick a part his opponent and shake of any ring dust. I say dust because there was an apparent lack of rust as Ward seemed sharp, movement wise, defensively and in overall ring generalship.
(Photo credit: Tom Hogan – Hoganphotos/Roc Nations Sports) Andre Ward resurfaced after a long absence and steamrolled British super middleweight Paul Smith at the Oracle Arena in Ward’s native Oakland, Cal. Ward spent two of his best years away from the prize ring due to legal and promotional disputes. He came back as shiny as new and kept his opponent in the crossfire for 9 rounds before the bloodied Smith was bailed out by his corner.
If there was any ring rust, it was shadowed by the skill differential which gave Ward full convenience. Coming from a 19 month layoff he was not expected to choose a tough challenge although Smith was no push over. The Brit went the distance twice with Arthur Abraham in his last two fights. This probably legitimized him as an opponent for Ward who did much better than Abraham. The American was on a different level and had an indecently easy time against his tough but over-matched foe. Ward exhibited his boxing talent and his speed allowed him to do whatever he pleased in the ring. There was a catch though, the catch weight clause.