There are plenty of fans who are critical of the upcoming, fast-approaching Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor “Super Fight;” with plenty of these same fans declaring how they will boycott the August event buy not paying for it. Fair enough, if the crossover bout is not your thing, but will a good number of fans find themselves getting pulled in by a stellar under-card?
James Slater
Canelo Alvarez is convinced: Rematch with Mayweather would be very different
Going into the biggest, or arguably second-biggest, fight of his career, Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez is still being asked about his solitary career defeat. It is the Floyd Mayweather loss of 2013 – the one fight of Canelo’s that was a bigger deal, certainly financially, than Canelo’s upcoming battle with Gennady Golovkin – that reporters still ask the 26 year old about.
Peter Fury says when Tyson returns, “he will go straight into a world title fight”
Peter Fury, trainer of course of unbeaten former heavyweight champ Tyson Fury, says his charge is “in a good place right now,” and that at around 24 stone (approx 336 pounds) he has lost a bit of weight. Speaking on The Bunce Boxing Hour, Peter said that Tyson is sparring to get in shape, not using bags or jumping rope.
Sparring, ten, 15, 20 rounds, three times a week, Fury is slowly shedding the bulk he put on during his layoff. As regards to his impending ring return, Peter said that right now their legal team is working on overturning the suspension Tyson was hit with some months back, and that “if” this is successful, the plan is for Fury to return on the September 23rd bill that will see Hughie Fury challenge WBO heavyweight champ Joseph Parker in Manchester.
Ten years ago today: Wladimir Klitschko batters Lamon Brewster in the only revenge win of his entire career (so far?)
Ten years ago this very day, July 7, 2007, in Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany, Wladimir Klitschko avenged the most brutal yet at the same time strange and unsettling pro defeat of his career. A decade ago today, Klitschko, then the IBF heavyweight belt-holder, forced Lamon Brewster to remain on his stool after a dozen one-sided sessions.
Ricky Burns-Anthony Crolla All-British showdown eyed for October
Both Ricky Burns and Anthony Crolla are coming off a big fight loss: Burns to Julius Indongo, Crolla to the classy Jorge Linares – and both British stars are weighing up the possibility of facing one another in what would be a big fight, maybe even a great fight.
Team Horn: We welcome WBO re-scoring of Pacquiao bout; do not want Teddy Atlas to call the rematch
Jeff Horn and his team are more than happy with the recent news that the WBO will officially re-score the July 2 Manny Pacquiao fight that saw Horn take the WBO welterweight title via a somewhat controversially received unanimous decision. The WBO will take a second look at the fight, but the organisation has made it clear they will not look to change the result: Horn WU12 Pacquiao will stand.
Billy Joe Saunders-Willie Monroe Junior: Who wins?
Both guys are talented, willing to fight the best, and one of them has a legit world title. And it could be, according to RingTV.com, that Billy Joe Saunders, 24-0(12) and Willie Monroe Junior, 21-2(6) will fight in London on September 16 (yes, the same night world middleweight ruler Gennady Golovkin defends against Canelo Alvarez in their Las Vegas Super Fight).
Juan Manuel Marquez set for August return; eyeing possible fights with new champ Horn, Cotto
Mexican legend and all time great Juan Manuel Marquez is five years older than Manny Pacquiao but both he and his equally legendary trainer Nacho Beristain think a fight with new WBO welterweight champ Jeff Horn, Pac Man’s (controversial) conqueror, is a good idea.
The 43 year old Marquez (really at an advanced age for a welterweight) is reported by ESPN Deportes to be returning to action against TBA in August; for his first fight since his May 2014 win over the tough Mike Alvarado. And after that, Beristain said that he likes the idea of his fighter going in with new champ Horn.
With Australian boxing given a massive boost by Horn-Pacquiao, Mark Flanagan aims to join Horn with win over Denis Lebedev
Whether you agreed with the verdict or not, the recent Jeff Horn-Manny Pacquiao fight and its outcome gave Australian boxing one enormous lift. The biggest fight in Australian boxing history, underdog Horn’s upset win over the all time great attracted around 55,000 fans, and the rematch (likely though not definite) could be even bigger.
Abel Sanchez: Absolutely [Mayweather-McGregor] is disrespectful to boxing; the people are going to see that it shouldn’t have been made
While talk continues regarding the impending world press tour to further hype the Mayweather-McGregor fight – set to kick off in either London or Los Angeles; this apparently being a matter of strict secrecy – Abel Sanchez has joined those critics who have no time for the fight.