Recently British heavyweight Tyson Fury (21-0, 15 KO’s) had been telling anyone that cared to listen to him that he wanted to fight Golden Boy fighter Deontay Wilder (30-0, 30 KO’s), but shortly after Deontay expressed interest in facing him too, Fury said he was retiring from boxing.
Deontay didn’t know what was happening, and neither did Golden Boy Promotions, who had hoped to line up the fight as soon as possible. But now Fury once again is expressing interest in fighting the 6’7″ Wilder, and you have to hope that Fury won’t retire again or disappear when Golden Boy Promotions attempts to put the fight together. Continue reading
It looks like it’s finally dawned on Manny Pacquiao’s team that they won’t be able to count on having Juan Manuel Marquez continue to fight him and help pump up his pay-per-view numbers anymore, as Pacquiao’s personal adviser Michael Koncz is now saying what everyone has known for the past 6 months in that Marquez will never fight Pacquiao fight Pacquiao again.
What this means in the immediate future is that the options for Pacquiao’s next fight on April 12th are mighty slim down to him either fighting a rematch with WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley or fighting one of his former sparring partners Ruslan Provodnikov. Continue reading
World title chasing Ghanaian, Richard Oblitey Commey maintained his 100% win and 100% knockout record with a round 8 technical stoppage of compatriot Prince Ofotsu to become the new Africa Boxing Union (ABU) Lightweight champion on Boxing Day in Accra. Continue reading
London / Johannesburg / Monte Carlo (December 24, 2013) – Former WBO light-heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly has replaced Pawel Kolodziej as an opponent for big-hitting cruiserweight Junior Makabu on the undercard of Gennady Golovkin’s championship fight at the Monte Carlo Boxing Bonanza on February 1, 2014.
The tournament is presented by Africa’s promotional giant, Golden Gloves of South Africa.
Cleverly (26-1, 12 KOs) stepped in after Kolodziej had second thoughts about facing the brutal puncher from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The pair will meet in a 10-round non-title bout. Continue reading
Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s auxiliary goal in the sport of boxing, for over four years now, seems to have been to tear down the image of Manny Pacquiao in any way he can. Floyd can’t and/or won’t do it in the ring so he does it outside of the ring with racial and ethnic slurs, mocking insults, false and damaging accusations, and various other attempted belittlements. A mission of sorts, clearly Manny has been on Floyd’s mind more than Floyd has been on his.
Floyd likely hoped Manny was done, once and for all, after Marquez knocked him out last year, likely betting that he would never have to face him in the ring or to compete with him again in any venue or on any level. But Manny came back in impressive style and now, Floyd can’t handle it. He thought Marquez had put out Pacquiao’s lights permanently. Instead, they are shining again, and even if not as brightly as before, there remains a strong glimmer of hope and confidence for, and in the man. Floyd Mayweather Jr. simply cannot handle this truth. Continue reading
David Price (15-2, 13 KOs) will make his ring return against Evengy Orlov (14-12-1, 10 KOs) on January 25 at the Hanns-Martin-Schleyer Halle in Stuttgart, Germany.
The British heavyweight joins an action packed card that also features the much anticipated rematch between WBO Cruiserweight Champion Marco Huck (36-2-1, 25 KOs) and Firat Arslan (33-6-2, 21 KOs).
The show will be available to watch on BoxNation in the UK and ARD in Germany. Tickets are available via eventim.de, easyticket.de and davidprice.co.uk. Special hotel and ticket packages are available by contacting email@example.com.
If George Groves (19-1, 15 KO’s) can’t get IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch to give him a rematch, WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward (27-0, 14 KO’s) says he’d be interested in giving Groves a chance at winning his belt. Ward liked what he saw of Groves in his loss last month to Froch in Manchester, UK, and he thinks Groves deserves a title shot.
Ward obviously knows that a fight between him and Groves would mean big business in the UK, because Groves is a rising star in the UK. A Ward-Groves fight would likely be pay-per-view in the UK.
Ward said “UK fans still not happy with Carl “The Cobra” Froch huh? That’s why I respect #UK fans, they ride for the home team, but tell the truth!! His fans won’t except anything else. Continue reading
LAS VEGAS (December 264, 2013) – Reigning World Boxing Association (WBA) Super and International Boxing Association (IBA) Light Heavyweight World Champion
Beibut Shumenov (14-1, 9 KO’s) celebrates his fourth anniversary as world champion next month but he really didn’t arrive on the worldwide boxing scene until this past December 14th in his SHOWTIME debut.
The 30-year-old Shumenov set a light heavyweight record for capturing a world title in the fewest career fights, 10, when he won (Jan. 10, 2010) a 12-round decision over Gabriel Campillo in Las Vegas. Shumenov’s fifth successful world title defense was an impressive performance over previously undefeated challenger Tomas “Tomi Kid” Kovacs (23-1, 14 KOs) on “Danger Zone,” headlined by Marcus Maidana’s upset of Adrian Broner, at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. Continue reading
LOS ANGELES (Dec 26) – 2013 was one of the best years boxing has had in recent memory, and as Sports Illustrated recapped the past 12 months, it honored Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer as the iconic publication’s Promoter of the Year.
“This is obviously an unexpected award, but I’m very appreciative and honored,” said Schaefer. “But I must point out that a single person can’t do what Golden Boy Promotions has done in 2013, so I’d like to thank my staff, our fighters, our sponsors and TV partners for their continued support and efforts in 2013. In the end, this is all about the fans of our great sport and I will continue to deliver the best fights and fighters to them in 2014 and beyond.” Continue reading
If George Groves (19-1, 15 KO’s) is going to get a rematch against IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch (32-2, 23 KO’s), then it’s probably going to take a change of tactics for him to get Froch to start showing interest in giving him a second chance.
Froch says he’s not interested in fighting Groves again because he’s not shown him the proper respect since their controversial fight from last month in Manchester. Froch won that fight by a 9th round stoppage after he hurt Groves with a series of head shots that caused the referee Howard John Foster to step in and halt the fight. Continue reading
After witnessing Floyd Mayweather Jr. make numerous posts poking fun at Manny Pacquiao as well as other possible opponents using his Twitter account, it is no secret that he is trying hard. But what is he trying to do?
While it is not uncommon for competition, whether it’s boxing, basketball, or any other competitive sport, to try and devalue their opponent using various online social tools such as Twitter and Facebook, usually there is a quick and direct response from the other party, offending right back. Continue reading
Just imagine what Amir "Con Artist" will get if his name gets picked in the Mayweather sweepstakes pic.twitter.com/WL4rBB1UU3
— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) December 26, 2013
In what could be a sign that that Floyd Mayweather Jr. is still undecided about who he plans on fighting on May 3rd, he posted 3 tweets today showing himself fighting Amir Khan, Manny Pacquiao and Marcos Maidana, and writing captions that showed how little he thought of them as potential opponents for him. As you can see from Mayweather’s caption, he feels that Maidana would be little more than a side order for him to beat. As for Khan, Mayweather sees himself knocking him out. Continue reading