Carlos Molina tries to stay calm when he reads that former world champion Kermit “The Killer” Cintron will be challenging Saul “Canelo” Alvarez for his World Boxing Council (WBC) super welterweight championship on November 26 in Mexico and live on HBO.
Molina (19-4-2, 6 KOs) scored a dominant unanimous decision over Cintron last July with none of the judges giving Cintron more than two rounds. The victory capped off a magnificent year that also saw Molina fight to a disputed draw with highly regarded Cuban contender Erislandy Lara. Most had Molina winning that fight as well.
So why is Cintron getting the lucrative title shot while Molina sits at home waiting for his phone to ring?
“That sums it up right there, the way boxing is,” said a dejected Molina. “I won the fight and they give the shot to the guy I beat. They didn’t even offer me the fight. Why?”
Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing thinks he has the answer.
“Carlos is the best 154-lb fighter in the world and the top fighters are avoiding him. I understand that fighters don’t want to lose. That’s understandable. But what about HBO letting Alvarez take the easier road by fighting a guy my guy just beat? He destroyed Cintron and despite that, somehow they are putting Cintron in while Carlos’s phone doesn’t ring. What happened to serving the paying customers by putting on the best fights between the best fighters? Carlos will fight anyone in the world at 154 or 147 lbs.'”
The good-natured Molina says he’ll continue to train hard and wait for his opportunity at a big fight. “Hopefully one of these other guys on top will have what it takes to fight me. I’ll just stay in shape and wait it out.”
Margules, on the other hand, isn’t as forgiving. “You’ve got a fighter who comes back from two years off and scores two huge wins over two top guys and knocks out another well-thought-of fighter on ESPN in impressive fashion. It’s a Cinderella story. Carlos is an exciting fighter who comes forward and throws a lot of punches. He outboxes these guys with old-school techniques. So why is he getting stepped over for a shot at Canelo? It’s not like HBO tried to make the better fight and Carlos wasn’t available. His phone NEVER rang. Situations like this are a problem for our sport. It’s disgraceful. Maybe with the new regime beginning over at HBO these kinds of things will no longer happen.”
“November Reign” on course to be first Mohegan Sun boxing sellout in 10 years!
North Bergen, NJ (October 25, 2011) -Tickets for “November Reign” at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., which is headlined by the WBC International heavyweight title match between undefeated champion Mariusz Wach against former world champ Oliver McCall, are nearly sold out. Previously closed sections are being opened up to accomodate more fans to the event as the need persists in hopes of ensuring that each fan that wants to attend the event live can do so.
The show, which also includes undefeated NABO middleweight champion Patrick Majewski (17-0, 11 KO) of Atlantic City looking to add the vacant NABF belt against Colombian knockout artist Dionisio Miranda (21-7-2, 18 KO) in the co-featured bout, plus undefeated heavyweight sensation Artur Szpilka (8-0, 6 KO) of Wieliczka, Poland and rising featherweight prospect Kamil Laszczyk of North Bergen, NJ (4-0, 3 KO), is on the verge of becoming the venue’s first sold out boxing event in ten years.
“We are very pleased with the support we are receiving from the public,” said Mariusz Kolodziej, CEO of the show’s promoter Global Boxing Promotions. “We had a great turnout last time and we’re glad that more people are coming out this time around. We want to give the best shows to the fans, not just the Polish fans but the boxing supporters as well.
“Polish boxing has a rich tradition, with a number of great fighters over the years like Andrew Golata and most recently Tomasz Adamek and Krzysztof Wlodarczyk; this the new wave of Polish boxing champions.”
The 12-round main event will pit Wach, 25-0 (13 KO), of North Bergen, N.J., by way of Krakow, Poland, against the former heavyweight champion of the world McCall (56-11, 37 KO) of Chicago in a can’t-miss action contest. Wach’s most recent performance saw him knock out New England resident Kevin McBride in a candidate for Knockout of the Year, while McCall has perhaps the toughest chin of any heavyweight in boxing over the last 20 years, having never been knocked down despite facing great punchers like Lennox Lewis, whom he knocked out in two rounds to win the championship.
Tickets are $40.00, $65.00 and $105.00 and can be purchased by calling CES at 401.724.2253/2254 or calling Ticketmaster at1.800.745.3000. Fans can also purchase tickets online at www.cesboxing.com, www.ticketmaster.com, at Global Boxing Gym in North Bergen, N.J. or at the Mohegan Sun Box Office.