By James Slater: Tonight in Liverpool, Frank Warren’s latest big card got underway in style, as unbeaten welterweight sensation Kell Brook took out Ghana’s Philip Kotey inside two impressive rounds. The televised opener may not have been a competitive fight, but it was still good to see “Special K” do his stuff.
Brook, still only 24, decked Kotey in the 1st-round, when a big right hand to the head followed by a sweet left hook to the jaw sent the 28-year-old southpaw crashing. Up but on unsteady legs, the man known as “Sweet Pea” made it to the bell but was soon finished off in the following session.
Brook, who improved to 23-0(16) with the win, soon had Kotey in trouble again, unleashing both hands on the man from Accra. Finally, after Kotey stumbled back into the ropes for a second occasion in the 2nd, the referee Manuel Oliver Palomo waved the mismatch off. The official time was just 38 seconds of the 2nd. Kotey goes back to Ghana with a 21-6-2(15) record.
Okay, Brook never faced a killer tonight, but Kotey had only been stopped once previously and he came to fight. Too relaxed for his own good, the older man was simply overwhelmed. Brook, who models himself on fellow Sheffield star (or former star) Naseem Hamed, opened up with both hands, looking for the KO. An easy night’s work for him in the end, tonight’s win may lead Brook into a bigger fight next year.
Post-fight, promoter Warren spoke of how the WBO inter-continental 147-pound champ is ranked at number-one in the world by the WBO, and that that makes him the number-one contender for the crown currently held by pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.
“We’ll see if Pacquiao vacates,” Warren said regarding what may be next for Brook. “It’s not a race, but Special K is going places.”
No-one is suggesting Brook will even fight Pac-Man, let alone beat him. But if Pacquiao does vacate his belt, Brook will be in line to fight for it. There has been talk of Brook taking on unbeaten U.S contender Mike Jones, but it looks like the 23-0(18) Philadelphian will face Mexico’s Jesus Soto Karass in a rematch of their November thriller first.
Whoever he fights next, keep an eye on Brook. “Special K” has the definite look of a future star.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikaela Mayer faces Ewa Brodnicka on Inoue vs. Moloney card on Oct.31
- Murat Gassiev Vs. Kevin Johnson On October 31?
- Dereck Chisora Says He’s “Stronger” Than Joshua, Fury, Whyte, Wilder
- Can Cruiserweight King Mairis Briedis Make It As A Heavyweight?
- Terence Crawford Turns 33 – At 36-0, “Bud” Still In Need Of His Defining Fight
- Kenny Norton: The Fighter Muhammad Ali Was Never Able To Master
- WBSS Champ Mairis Briedis returns to Latvia with the Ali Trophy
- “Irish” Micky Ward: One of boxing’s most beloved ring warriors
- Pablo Valdez keen on ring return, reflects on COVID’s effect on his career
- 40 Years Ago Today: Marvin Hagler’s Brutal Coronation
From The Boxing Forums
- Terence Crawford versus Josh Taylor at 147
- The Charlo Bros are the real deal
- John Riel Casimero calls out Naoya Inoue “You’re no monster!”
- *** Kirks Championships *** | 2020 Boxing Prediction League
- How high out of 10 should a fighter with this record be rated?
- Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán vs. Sergey Vyacheslavovich Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo vs Derevyanchenko (how did you score it)
- (BREAKING) Mikey Garcia Confirms Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Next...
- Cruiserweight and Heavyweight thread.
- Lomachenko is getting up there in age
Latest Boxing Results:
- And The Nastiest KO Of The Night Award Goes To ….Filip Hrgovic!
- Casimero Retains WBO Bantam Title With Quick Win Over Micah – Boxing Results
- Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario in 8th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario; Jermall Charlo defeats Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo decisions Derevyanchenko – Boxing Results
- Josh Taylor Destroys Khongsong In A Round With Brutal Body Shot -Boxing Results
- Mairis Briedis wins the Ali Trophy After Enthralling Final – Boxing Results
- Photos: Taylor Blows Out Khongsong in 1 Round
- Mario Cazares Stuns Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. – Boxing Results
- Bohachuk Wins In Mexico; Reyes stops Rodriguez – Boxing Results