By Rob Smith: Polish heavyweight Tomasz Adamek (43-1, 28 KO’s) stopped 36-year-old heavyweight Vinny Maddalone (33-7, 24 KO’s) by a 5th round technical knockout on Thursday night at the Prudential Center, in Newark, New Jersey. Adamek, 35, hurt Maddalone with an uppercut that knocked him down and then opened up with a salvo of shots after Maddalone got backt to his feet. Referee Steve Smoger stopped the fight at 2:17 with Maddalone still on his feet and just taking shots.
The fight wasn’t very competitive as Adamek landed at will against Maddalone in rounds one through four, stinging him with jabs and hard combinations. Maddalone didn’t have much to offer, but he did let his hands go a little more than Adamek’s last opponent, 38-year-old Michael Grant. However, at least Adamek was able to get through the fight without being staggered like he was against Grant and Chris Arreola.
Overall, Adamek looked decent, but far from great. The win keeps him in line for a shot against one of the Klitschko brothers or David Haye. Based on how Adamek has looked since moving up to heavyweight, I would give him zero chance of beating any of those guys. He’ll be a good name to get fans to watch the fight, but will likely get snowed under by shots from the klitschkos and Haye. Adamek is better off moving back down in weight to the crusierweight division. At that weight class, he’s more than just a contender but at heavyweight, he’ll probably never win a title until Vitali retires. Even then, I can’t see him beating heavyweights like Odlanier Solis, Denis Boytsov and Alexander Povetkin.
Adamek’s chin is too shaky. I’d like to see him at least show that he can beat one of those fighters before he’s given a title shot. I just don’t think wins over guys like Grant, Maddalone, Jason Estrada, Andrew Golota and Arreola are good enough names to deserve getting a title shot. I’d like at least one good name on Adamek’s resume before he challenges for the title, and I don’t see any of his previous opponents as being good fighters or close to being good. What Adamek needs to do is take off some baby fat and move back down in weight. Right now, he looks like a short, somewhat fat heavyweight with short arms and little power. He’s much better at cruiserweight where his limited size and reach won’t work against him.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikaela Mayer faces Ewa Brodnicka on Inoue vs. Moloney card on Oct.31
- Murat Gassiev Vs. Kevin Johnson On October 31?
- Dereck Chisora Says He’s “Stronger” Than Joshua, Fury, Whyte, Wilder
- Can Cruiserweight King Mairis Briedis Make It As A Heavyweight?
- Terence Crawford Turns 33 – At 36-0, “Bud” Still In Need Of His Defining Fight
- Kenny Norton: The Fighter Muhammad Ali Was Never Able To Master
- WBSS Champ Mairis Briedis returns to Latvia with the Ali Trophy
- “Irish” Micky Ward: One of boxing’s most beloved ring warriors
- Pablo Valdez keen on ring return, reflects on COVID’s effect on his career
- 40 Years Ago Today: Marvin Hagler’s Brutal Coronation
From The Boxing Forums
- Cruiserweight and Heavyweight thread.
- The Charlo Bros are the real deal
- Jermall Charlo vs Derevyanchenko (how did you score it)
- Lomachenko is getting up there in age
- Terence Crawford versus Josh Taylor at 147
- (BREAKING) Mikey Garcia Confirms Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Next...
- Seeing all the chaos of current HW division today..shows you how good Wlad was
- Most badass moments I've seen in boxing ring
- Tyson Fury would beat Mike Tyson
- Hrgovic or Dubois
Latest Boxing Results:
- And The Nastiest KO Of The Night Award Goes To ….Filip Hrgovic!
- Casimero Retains WBO Bantam Title With Quick Win Over Micah – Boxing Results
- Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario in 8th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario; Jermall Charlo defeats Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo decisions Derevyanchenko – Boxing Results
- Josh Taylor Destroys Khongsong In A Round With Brutal Body Shot -Boxing Results
- Mairis Briedis wins the Ali Trophy After Enthralling Final – Boxing Results
- Photos: Taylor Blows Out Khongsong in 1 Round
- Mario Cazares Stuns Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. – Boxing Results
- Bohachuk Wins In Mexico; Reyes stops Rodriguez – Boxing Results