by James Slater – Former world super-middleweight and light-heavyweight champion Joe Calzaghe knew the time was right for him to quit the sport he loves, and he hung up the gloves earlier this year. Sporting a superb 46-0 record, “The Pride of Wales” managed to do what few fighters ever have, and retire without a single loss or a draw on their record. It’s too late for that now when it comes to Ricky Hatton, but Calzaghe says “The Hitman” should get out now and thereby retain that which is far more important than a perfect record; namely his health.
While Hatton – who has yet to make up his mind about fighting on or not after the disaster that felled him against Manny Pacquiao on May 2nd – has been urged by some people to give it another go in the ring, Calzaghe is not one of them. Speaking to today’s Sunday Daily Star, the 37-year-old urged 30-year-old Hatton to retire..
“It was a devastating loss against [Manny] Pacquiao and I think it’s time for him to retire,” Joe said. “The most important thing in boxing is your health. I watched the fight and Ricky took some heavy shots. He just didn’t seem to turn up on the night. A lot of people will be telling Ricky what to do, but only he knows what is right.
“Maybe he’ll want one last fight in Manchester to get a win. You wouldn’t blame him if he felt that way.”
Calzaghe may well be right, and the proud Hatton perhaps will take a “farewell” bout in his home city. But what if Ricky were to lose that fight too? One man who thinks Hatton should definitely retire immediately, thus forgetting all about any other fight, “farewell” or otherwise, is Hatton’s former promoter Frank Warren. Warren made it clear he feels Hatton’s punch resistance and “everything else” has totally gone, and that he would be a fool to risk another fight.
Sure, there may be some sour grapes there due to the way Hatton and Warren fell out, but is the promoter right with what he says? Though Calzaghe wasn’t as brutal as Warren, he at least hinted that Hatton is finished as a top level fighter. It would be awful seeing “The Hitman” getting beaten up and KO’d by a lower level fighter brought in as a “safe” opponent, only to tear up the script.
As things stand, at least Hatton can hold his head up high and say rightly that he has only ever been defeated by pound-for-pound the two best fighters in the world – in Pacquiao and before that Floyd Mayweather Junior.
A future Hall of Famer, Hatton might decide he’s done enough fighting and concentrate on his promotional goals.
Latest Boxing News
- Charlo twins quotes for Saturday on Showtime PPV
- Alex Saucedo faces Arnold Barboza & Edgar Berlanga vs. Lanell Bellows on Lomachenko-Lopez card on Oct.17
- Sauerland Says A WBSS Heavyweight Tournament Is “On The List”
- Fury v Wilder III Will Not Happen Without Fans In Attendance: “We Can’t Lose That Gate”
- Josh Taylor and Charlie Edwards Press Conference Quotes
- Heavyweight WAR: Oleksandr Usyk will face Derek Chisora on October 31
- Charlo vs. Rosario / Charlo vs. Derevyanchenko: Press Conference Live Stream
- Jeison Rosario ready for war against Jermell Charlo
- Jaime Munguia returns against Tureano Johnson on Oct.30
- Dorticos Vs. Breidis WBSS Final This Saturday: Who Wins?
From The Boxing Forums
- Jermell or Jermall, who will have a better career?
- O’Shaquie Foster vs Miguel Roman
- If Briedis beats Dorticos, should he move up to heavy immediately?
- Jeff Horn is thinking about retirement.
- Despite Whyte's personality, credit is due for his resume
- Mayweather vs Pacquiao - Who do you think is higher on all-time list?
- Salita files a lawsuit against Ergashev
- Who are your favourite British fighters? (Top 5)
- Prime Chad Dawson vs. Artur Beterbiev.
- Boxers who Disappeared Like Frankie Gomez?
Latest Boxing Results:
- Victor Faust aiming high after spectacular Knockout win – Boxing Results
- Alejandro Santiago defeats Willibaldo Garcia – Boxing Results
- Efe Ajagba Wins Top Rank Debut – Boxing Results
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina, Ajagba Decisions Rice – Boxing Results
- Erickson “The Hammer” Lubin beats Terrell Gausha – Boxing Results
- Francisco Fonseca stops Lesther Lara – Boxing Results
- Erickson Lubin vs. Terrell Gausha: Perfectly Punch or Weak Chin?
- Photos: Kavaliauskas KOs Zewski & Gonzalez defeats Marriaga
- Anthony Yarde Stops Dec Spelman In Six – Boxing Results
- Egidijus Kavaliauskas beats Mikael Zewski – Boxing Results