by James Slater – Former world super-middleweight and light-heavyweight champion Joe Calzaghe knew the time was right for him to quit the sport he loves, and he hung up the gloves earlier this year. Sporting a superb 46-0 record, “The Pride of Wales” managed to do what few fighters ever have, and retire without a single loss or a draw on their record. It’s too late for that now when it comes to Ricky Hatton, but Calzaghe says “The Hitman” should get out now and thereby retain that which is far more important than a perfect record; namely his health.
While Hatton – who has yet to make up his mind about fighting on or not after the disaster that felled him against Manny Pacquiao on May 2nd – has been urged by some people to give it another go in the ring, Calzaghe is not one of them. Speaking to today’s Sunday Daily Star, the 37-year-old urged 30-year-old Hatton to retire..
“It was a devastating loss against [Manny] Pacquiao and I think it’s time for him to retire,” Joe said. “The most important thing in boxing is your health. I watched the fight and Ricky took some heavy shots. He just didn’t seem to turn up on the night. A lot of people will be telling Ricky what to do, but only he knows what is right.
“Maybe he’ll want one last fight in Manchester to get a win. You wouldn’t blame him if he felt that way.”
Calzaghe may well be right, and the proud Hatton perhaps will take a “farewell” bout in his home city. But what if Ricky were to lose that fight too? One man who thinks Hatton should definitely retire immediately, thus forgetting all about any other fight, “farewell” or otherwise, is Hatton’s former promoter Frank Warren. Warren made it clear he feels Hatton’s punch resistance and “everything else” has totally gone, and that he would be a fool to risk another fight.
Sure, there may be some sour grapes there due to the way Hatton and Warren fell out, but is the promoter right with what he says? Though Calzaghe wasn’t as brutal as Warren, he at least hinted that Hatton is finished as a top level fighter. It would be awful seeing “The Hitman” getting beaten up and KO’d by a lower level fighter brought in as a “safe” opponent, only to tear up the script.
As things stand, at least Hatton can hold his head up high and say rightly that he has only ever been defeated by pound-for-pound the two best fighters in the world – in Pacquiao and before that Floyd Mayweather Junior.
A future Hall of Famer, Hatton might decide he’s done enough fighting and concentrate on his promotional goals.
Latest Boxing News
- Gervonta Davis vs. Marios Barrios at 140 in summer
- Kambosos Jr On Teofimo Lopez: He’s Not Had The Super Hard Road I have; I Sparred 23 F*****g
- “No More Issues,” Arum Says Of Fury-Joshua Negotiations; Formal Announcement Imminent?
- Billy Joe Saunders: There’s no rematch clause for Canelo Alvarez fight
- Bob Arum says Lomachenko vs. Devin Haney is possible
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results