Arthur Pelullo’s Banner Promotions, Rodney Berman’s Golden Gloves, and Fernando Beltran’s Promociones Zanfer will present a sensational world championship fight card on June 27, 2009, at the El Palenque in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Mexico. A press conference will be held at El Hotel Real Polanco in Mexico City on Wednesday, June 3..
In the main event scheduled for 12 rounds, International Boxing Federation featherweight world champion Cristobal “Lacondon” Cruz, 38-11-1 with 23 knockouts, now based in Tijuana, Mexico, will make his second defense of the title against Jorge “Coloradito” Solis, 37-1-2 with 27 knockouts, of Guadalajara, Mexico.
Cruz was born in Jiquipilas in Mexico’s southernmost state of Chiapas. It will be his first fight in his home state since January, 2002, when he fought in Tuxtla Gutierrez, the state capitol.
This fight is the rematch – in December, 2003, Solis won a 10 round unanimous decision against Cruz in a fast-paced, exciting fight at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles. Cruz fought aggressively and constantly pressured Solis, but Solis boxed effectively – he kept Cristobal off-balance with movement, scored with sharp counterpunches, and won by decisive scores of 97-93, 98-92, 99-91.
For Cruz, the loss was part of a streak in which he lost four of five fights in 2003 and 2004. His career has had a dramatic turnaround, however, in the last couple of years – he has now won four fights in a row, which include an upset 12 round decision against Thomas Mashaba in March, 2008, and another upset 12 round decision to win the vacant IBF world title against heavily favored Orlando Salido in October, 2008. Cruz made his first title defense with a 12 round decision win against hometown favorite Cyril Thomas in Saint-Quentin, France, in his most recent fight in February, 2009.
Solis is the IBF’s number-one ranked featherweight contender. He has also won four fights in a row, including an impressive fifth-round TKO against Monte Meza-Clay in January, 2009, and a 10 round decision against Miguel Roman in May, 2008. Jorge’s only loss as a pro came in April, 2007, by eighth-round knockout against Manny Pacquiao.
Promociones Zanfer will announce three more exciting bouts on the card.
The undercard will include Gabriel Martinez, 21-1-1 with 13 knockouts, of Empalme, Sonora, Mexico, one of the up-and-coming stars in the welterweight division, versus Michel Rosales, 19-3 with 17 knockouts, of San Luis Potosi, Mexico, in a 10 round bout.
Arturo Santos Reyes, the 2008 Mexican Olympic team representative from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, will also fight on the card. He is scheduled to make his professional debut on June 19th, 2009, on ESPN in Laredo, Texas.
Pro-Am boxing card to rock historic Plymouth “Brawl At The Hall,” June 12 at Memorial Hall
PROVIDENCE (June 1, 2009) – Pro boxing returns June 12 to Plymouth as Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment and Sports, Inc. (CES) presents a rare pro-am card, “Brawl At The Hall,” at historic Plymouth Memorial Hall.
“Brawl At The Hall” is the second of four shows in “The Radisson Hotel Plymouth Harbor Fight Series,” scheduled in 2009 at Plymouth Memorial Hall and exclusively promoted by CES.
Iraqi War veteran Chris Traietti (7-2, 4 KOs), a light heavyweight from Quincy, is in the 6-round main event. U.S. Navy veteran and Plymouth firefighter, light heavyweight Benny “The Hornet” Lescarbeau (3-0, 3 KOs), is back fighting in front of his hometown fans.
Also on the undercard in 4-round bouts are light middleweight Aleksandra Magdziak Lopes (0-1), a Plymouth High graduate now fighting out of Marshfield, and a pair of pro-debuting boxers from Cape Cod, super middleweight Paul Gonsalves and heavyweight Jessie Barboza. Gonsalves, fighting out of Harwich, is a 2-time Southern New England Golden Gloves champion, while Barboza, of Barnstable, is a 3-time New England Golden Gloves title holder. All fights and fighters are subject to change.
Five amateur matches featuring some of the area’s top non-professionals are also scheduled on the “Brawl At The Hall” card.
“We’re excited to be back in beautiful Plymouth and hope that people will enjoy a mini-vacation there with CES,” promoter Jimmy Burchfield said. “This will be one of the few pro-am shows ever held in Massachusetts. It’s so appropriate that an Iraqi War veteran (Chris Traietti), as well as a US Navy veteran and Plymouth firefighter (Benny Lescarbeau), are fighting on a card in ‘America’s Hometown,’ one of these most historic areas in this great country. We hope locals will support their fighters and tourists enjoy a different, entertaining night out after visiting Plymouth Rock, The Mayflower and so many other places of great interest in Plymouth.”
Tickets for “Brawl At The Hall” are moderately priced (includes $3.00 surcharge per ticket) at $38.00 (Bronze), $48.00 (Silver), and $78.00 (Jimmy’s Platinum Club). VIP tables of eight are also available. To purchase call CES (401.724.2253/2254) or go online at www.cesboxing.com.
Contact CES (401.724.2253/2254/www.cesboxing.com) for more information. Doors open at 6:00 PM/ET, first bout at 7:00 PM/ET.
All Female Amateur Boxing series to begin at Rosecroft Raceway
Washington, DC) June 1, 2009- Women in Support Together (W.I.S.T.) along with Rosecroft Raceway will be hosting a series of ALL FEMALE amateur boxing shows beginning on Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 6 p.m. Ms. Bruce has a long history in boxing and was the first to bring an All Female Boxing show to Washington, DC. Amateur female boxers from around the country will be competing in 15 officiated bouts. The main event will be 8 year old Mia Ellis from Baltimore, MD fondly known by fans as “Killer Bee”. Winners will receive trophies.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for the community to see female amateur boxers in action,” said Wanda Bruce, Female Boxing Promoter. “Everyone is welcomed to attend and show support for our female boxers who often get overlooked,” Bruce added. Rosecroft Raceway is located at 6336 Rosecroft Drive, Ft. Washington, MD 20744. Admission to the event is $20-Adults, $10- Kids under 10. There is lots of parking. A portion of the proceeds goes to help Diabetes Association of MD. It is all about the females and helping them with boxing competitions and with life in general.
For more information on this event and to get your fighter registered, log on to www.fightlady.org.
Latest Boxing News
- Tyson Fury Says He’ll Fight Twice This Year, With Or Without Anthony Joshua
- Adrien Broner vs. Jovanie Santiago averages 288,000 viewers on Showtime
- “Money” Turns 44 – But Is Floyd Relevant No More?
- Yildrim’s trainer: It’s 50-50 if Canelo chooses to exchange
- Oscar Valdez Pulls Off a Masterful Performance
- Emanuel Navarrete vs. Christopher Diaz on April 24th on ESPN
- Anthony Joshua is one of Tyson Fury’s easiest fights,’ says Isaac Lowe
- George Foreman Says Conor McGregor Can Beat Manny Pacquiao
- Josh Warrington Says He’ll Retire If He Can’t Beat Mauricio Lara In Rematch
- On This Day 30 Years Ago: “Mutt” Haugen Beats “Macho” Camacho
Next Boxing Events
- Scardina vs Nunez – DAZN – Feb. 26
- Cacace vs Woodstock – BT Sport – Feb. 27
- Kunkabayev vs Emurlaiev – IFL, ESPN+ – Feb. 27
- Dirrell vs Davis – FOX – Feb. 27
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Martinez vs Arroyo – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
Latest Boxing Results:
- Oscar Valdez Pulls Off a Masterful Performance
- Otto Wallin beats Dominic Breazeale, wants title shot
- Ivan Golub stops Luis Eduardo Florez in six – Boxing Results
- Richard Brewart Jr. Remains Unbeaten With MD Victory – Boxing Results
- Adrien Broner defeats Jovanie Santiago in The Comeback – Boxing Results
- Photos: Crown the Mexican King: Oscar Valdez Dethrones Berchelt!
- Photos: Broner, Wallin & Easter Jr Victorious On SHOWTIME®
- Oscar Valdez KOs Miguel Berchelt in 10th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Avaneysan beats Kelly, closes chapter
- Berchelt – Valdez – live action from Las Vegas