By Alistair Donkin: The sport of boxing is governed by politics, it is not always fair. The best match ups regardless of if they make the most sense do not always happen. Promoter Gary Shaw is insistent that his unified super flyweight champ Vic Darchinyan will miss the chance to redeem his only loss to Nonito Donaire because he is unhappy Donaire left his stable for Bob Arum’s..
Antonio Margarito would not give ‘the punisher’ Pall Williams a rematch even though he was the one defeated in their previous bout. Winky Wright has struggled to get a fight full stop as middleweights such as Arthur Abraham and Felix Strum have simply avoided him. Boxing could do with following the UFC’c lead and start putting the best fighters together, no matter what!
Ronald “Winky” Wright (51-4-1 25ko’s) is a seasoned pro in the sport. He has fought and beaten legends in Shane Mosley and Felix Trinidad and remains one of the most avoided fighters in the sport today. Winky is a slick south paw, has a tricky defensive style and had a terrific career at junior middleweight where he convincingly outpointed “Sugar” Shane Mosley to claim the title of undisputed champion. He is currently campaigning at 160lbs and has been inactive since a close encounter with Bernard Hopkins back in June 2007. Although it has been suggested that Winky is stubborn and difficult to negotiate with, Wright has such an awkward style, impressive resume and history of being the underdog and overthrowing the odds that other fighters are blatantly avoiding him.
Paul “the punisher” Williams (36-1 27ko’s) is an extraordinary fighter. He is currently campaigning between 147-160lbs and is at 6’-1” strangely tall for a welterweight. It is amazing how he manages to get down to 147lbs and this abnormal height advantage along with the power and speed he has demonstrates has not helped in his pursuit of a top fight at welterweight. After moving up to light middleweight and demolishing veteran and no pushover Verno Phillips (42-1-1 25ko’s) for the WBO interim title “the punishers” stock grew but his ability to attract top fighters did not. Williams demonstrated great heart as well as his usual power and threw a great number of shots to rival “the pride of Wales” Joe Calzaghe himself. Williams is a hungry and dangerous fighter and I don’t condemn those at Welterweight who would rather avoid him. He still comes into the “too much risk, not enough gain” category.
On April 11th 2009 boxing fans will get the chance to witness the two most avoided fighters in the sport of boxing go head to head. Ronald “Winky” Wright versus Paul “the punisher” Willliams should be nothing short of an excellent fight and I can only hope that a victory for either man leads to much deserved mega fights and the title shots that they both crave. Both men have unique styles and excellent skills and it is a relief that they have decided to get it on. They have been overlooked, ducked and avoided by champions alike and it is no wonder that no one wants to fight them. I certainly wouldn’t.
Latest Boxing News
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim tickets selling fast for February 27th fight
- Trevor Bryan – Manuel Charr Not Happening On Friday – Bryan – Bermane Stiverne Instead?
- Who Was The Tougher Man – Arturo Gatti Or Micky Ward?
- Trevor “Hughroy” Currie – February 1959 to January 2021
- Vergil Ortiz Jr faces Maurice Hooker on March 20th in hometown battle
- Avni Yildirim looking powerful training for Canelo Alvarez on Feb.27th
- Devin Haney to fight on April 3rd
- Regis Prograis: I would beat Danny Garcia easy
- Julio Cesar Martinez battles McWilliams Arroyo on Feb.27th on Canelo undercard
- Eddie Hearn Says Joshua Will KO Fury
Next Boxing Events
- Charr vs Bryan ** Cancelled **
- Plant vs Truax – FOX – Jan. 30
- Kovalev Vs Melikuziev ** Cancelled **
- Warrington vs Lara – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 13
- Diaz Vs Rakhimov – DAZN – Feb. 13
- Joe Smith Jr Vs Vlasov – ESPN – Feb. 13
- Avanesyan vs Kelly – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 20
- Berchelt Vs Valdez – ESPN – Feb. 20
- Mayweather Vs Logan Paul – Fanmio – Feb 20
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport – Feb. 27
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 6
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
Latest Boxing Results:
- Stephen Fulton Jr beats Angelo Leo – Boxing Results
- Ra’eese Aleem stops Victor Pasillas – Boxing Results
- Mykquan Williams beats Yeis Solano – Boxing Results
- Fight Night Results From Ghana: Quaye, Dorgbetor & Aduku Win
- Photos: Ryan Garcia destroys Campbell, captures interim WBA 135lb title
- Ryan Garcia KOs Campbell – Boxing Results
- Garcia vs Campbell Live Fight Night Results, Photos & Quotes From Dallas
- Kazuto Ioka Looks Sensational In Stopping Kosei Tanaka – A Japanese Super Fight With Naoya Inoue Next?
- After First-Round KO Loss To Montiel, Surely The End For James Kirkland
- David O. Morrell destroys Gavronski, James Kirkland with KO Loss – Boxing Results