Legendary Aussie trainer Johnny Lewis says that Gairy St Clair is as good as anyone he has ever worked with before. Veteran Lewis helped guide greats like Kostya Tszyu and Jeff Fenech to world titles, and has worked with a host of other leading Australia-based fighters. Along with experienced Angelo Hyder, he will be in St Clair’s corner on Saturday night when he challenges Amir Khan for the Commonwealth lightweight title at London’s ExCel Arena..
” Gairy is right up there with the best,” said Lewis of the 32-year-old former world champion. “I have got a great rapport with him, and I love training him.
” He’s a trainer’s dream. He is respectful to everybody, very professional, he knows boxing from A-Z, and that’s what Amir Khan is up against on Saturday night.
” Gairy has also sparred with the likes of Kostya Tsyzu and Zab Judah, and if he hasn’t sparred with them then he’s fought them.
” Gairy brings a lot of things to the table. Everything has been good in training camp, and I can tell you he’s really enjoyed making the lightweight limit because it was a struggle to get to super-featherweight. I think he’s going to surprise a few people.”
Lewis’ last trip to the UK was with Kostya Tyszu in 2005, and on that night the IBF light-welterweight champion lost to Ricky Hatton at the MEN Arena.
But Lewis is backing St Clair to get some revenge.
” I’ve been to the UK a few times and had mixed fortunes, so I reckon I’m due a change of luck,” said Lewis. “Amir Khan is a good kid and when he finally packs it in I’m sure he’ll be one of the best fighters this country has ever produced, but this is a fight we think we can win.”
With the fight set to go on in front of a packed ExCel Arena, and millions watching live on ITV1, Lewis promised that the real winners would be the fans on Saturday night.
” St Clair comes to fight, and I don’t think anyone will be leaving disappointed on Saturday,” he added.
A quality packed fight also sees Michael Jennings defend his WBU World Welterweight title against Ross Minter.
Latest Boxing News
- Gerry Cooney’s Disturbing Knockout Of Ken Norton: The Most Devastating Heavyweight KO Of The ’80s
- Joshua sends Fury a message: Less talk more action
- Billy Joe Saunders makes statement after loss to Canelo Alvarez
- Filip Hrgovic still needs an opponent for IBF eliminator
- Would You Prefer To See Canelo Fight Caleb Plant Next, Or Golovkin?
- 30 Years Ago Today – The Great James Toney Stops Michael Nunn To Win His First World Title
- Eddie Hearn: Saunders has a triple fracture of eye orbital, surgery today
- Demetrius Andrade to fight at end of summer
- Carl Froch: Billy Joe Saunders didn’t quit
- Update: Billy Joe Saunders suffered multiple fractures to orbital bone
- Canelo Alvarez 7-0 against the Brits
- Eddie Hearn: Saunders will be out for a long, long time
- Does Billy Joe Saunders Deserve To Be Called A Quitter?
- Demetrius Andrade Invades Canelo Presser, Demands Fight!
- Chris Eubank Jr Insists He’s The British Fighter To Defeat Canelo
Next Boxing Events
- Hardy vs Camara – UFC Fight Pass – May 14
- Harper vs Choi – Sky Sports, DAZN – May 15
- Nery vs Figueroa – Showtime – May 15
- Ramirez vs Taylor – FITE, ESPN – May 22
- Haney vs Linares – DAZN – May 29
- Donaire vs Oubaali – Showtime – May 29
- Dubois vs Dinu – BT Sport – June 5
- Holyfield vs McBride – FITE TV – June 5
- Mayweather Vs Logan Paul – Showtime – June 6
- Stevenson vs. Nakathila – ESPN – June 12
- Munguia vs Sulecki – DAZN – June 19
- Jermall Charlo vs Montiel – Showtime – June 19
- Inoue vs. Dasmarinas – ESPN – June 19
- Davis vs Barrios – Showtime PPV – June 26
- Lomachenko vs. Nakatani – ESPN+ – June 26
Latest Boxing Results:
- Weekend Boxing Results: Mandeep Jangra, Liam Smith, Kieron Conway
- Canelo Alvarez 7-0 against the Brits
- Canelo stops Saunders in 8th round – Boxing Results
- Canelo vs. Saunders Live Results & Photos from Texas
- Photos: Andy Ruiz Jr. Earns Unanimous Decision Over Chris Arreola
- Photos: Parker, Taylor, Eubank Jr & Bivol Win In Manchester
- Sebastian Fundora & Abel Ramos Victorious In FOX PPV Undercard Action
- Ruiz defeats Arreola – Boxing Results
- Erislandy Lara & Eduardo Ramirez Score Knockout Victories – Boxing Results
- Parker beats Chisora; Taylor decisions Jonas – Boxing Results